What's new

Garfield 2: a quick review! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was able to attend the press screening of garfield 2 this morning. I am a fan of the first movie. howver I must say that this one is much better. First has a better story, second its much funnier, and 3 the animation for garfield is much better. Its more like the animal movie babe with the different animal this time.

Its also a very short movie like the first one. It also has a better pace and better villain.

it does get a bit silly towards the end with the final chase.

bill murray once again does the voice of garfield to perfection.

they make more jokes about modern tv show and movies from the 90s.

if you the parents are looking for something that is short and simple and not long like cars is. I would recommend watching garfield 2.

Jacob

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I saw the trailer yesterday, in front of X3... I was thinking "ok, so it's 'Babe' meets 'King Ralph'?" I have to say it doesn't look all that appealing. But, I was wrong about the first one (ended up loving it on DVD), so I might give this one a shot.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
:laugh: Colin, your presence in this thread makes me laugh. It's been a little over two years to the date since your infamous uttering about Garfield. Just looked that up last night. :laugh:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I must be in the minority. I HATED the first one. It brought no new story lines to the franchise, as a variation of the script had been done before somewhere in the animated series..just can't remember where. I will admit a few jokes did get me laughing, however.

Even though the 'bring a popular character out of his element to another country' has of course been done before, this one looks much more entertaining...Can't wait to see it.

*edit* But they got the character of John all wrong! He's supposed to be terrible with dates, the way Charlie Brown is at making friends. This new John is almost a completly different character...only sharing the name.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Surprising. I thought he'd refused the sequel since the voice in the trailer doesn't sound like him.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
he is listed in the credits for garfield 2. it was him.

he did move around in the saturday morning cartoon series. he would dance and do other stuff.

JACOB

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I think the character of Garfield is spot on. Sure he's a lot more livelier, but the same sarcastic and lazy spirit is definitely there. And Bill Murray IS the perfect Garfield along with the late great Lorenzo Music.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I avoided the first one like the plague, but it just so happens that I was a big fan of the books (those rectangular ones) back when I was a kid. Does the first film provide any sort of nostalgia for those who really loved the characters growing up? Or is this just a kids movie tailored to a new generation, and thus mostly unappealing to adults who loved Garfield back in the day?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
is this just a kids movie tailored to a new generation
>>>>

Yup :) Almost like an alternate universe Garfield. I would have loved to of seen a CGI odie based on the toon design, with the toon voice returning...Plus Odies theme music :)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Okay, that's what I figured....too bad, cause there was a lot of wit in some of those old Garfield books. That's partly why I really enjoy the Shrek films. Sure, it's a kids movie, but there is a lot of smart humor in there that adults can enjoy, too. I was hoping maybe Garfield shared some of that.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
garfield 2 did a better job of doing adult humor then the first movie.. it almost felt like they took the issues that people had problems with the first movie and fixed it.

its still garfield attitude. they make reference to silence of the lambs and pulp fiction.

Jacob

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Maybe I'll give the second one a look when it comes out on DVD then....I don't mind a kids movie every once in a while, cause I can always invite my 5 y.o. niece over so she can make shadow animals on the projector, lol. I just prefer that the movie be enjoyable for adults to some degree

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Greg.. Iwould ask you kindly to take the spoiler off.. spoiler or no spoiler.. that remark is a bit rude.

thank you.
Jacob

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Okay. Colin can PM me if he wants to know. For the record, no offense towards you was intended by me. I like you and have even e-mailed you a time or two. The phrase is just amusing. Sorry.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I udnerstand that.. that remark was towards me back in 2004 when the first movie was released.

and I thank you for taking it down.

Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks