What's new

Garaged Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Is that a word?

A coworked has a Velodyne Sub that has been in his garage for about 3 years. I live in South Florida, so it has never been very cold, but it sure spent a lot of time in head and humidity. Do you think it has degraded much? I want to listen to what a good sub sounds like in my house. I don't want to go through the hastle of buying one and returning it. I have the sub that came with my Onkyo HT-S760. That is the only one that I have heard. To me, it is fine. I moved it to the back corner near the couch. The furniture shakes, plenty of volume for me, etc. But I would like to educate myself. I really want the small SVS powered tube but I want to make sure that I won't regret dropping that kind of money on a sub.
OK, I want the big one, but that will never get approved without some really BIG jewlery for her.

Ryan T

Second Unit
My parents just bought a yamaha HTIB and it has a small powered subwoofer with a 6 1/2" driver. I was very surprised about how much bass it could output but it wasnt very clean and doesnt go very low. Most HTIB's have enough output from 35 to 40 Hz and up but with the small woofers they put in them you are missing a lot of the low bass. Your current subwoofer has a 8" driver and a 100 watt amp i think. I'm sure it does shake the furniture but your going to get a HUGE difference by stepping up to a real subwoofer. The bass is going to sound a lot more forceful and deeper.

What model is your friends velodyne? I dont think humidity would be too much of a problem as long as the cone isnt paper and the surrounds arnt foam. Also how much does he want for it?

Unless its a higher end velodyne i would still recomend an SVS or acoustic visions sub. They will most likely cream the velo in output unless its one of the higher end velodynes.

Ryan

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
agreed about stepping up to a real subwoofer. Yours is an 8" ported one. I know in store it doesnt get to loud (our circuit city is pretty much a decorated warehouse), but I am guessing with room gain compared to the store it puts out decently. I would highly advise stepping it up a bit, also replace the speaker wire that came with it, I reccomend this to all my customers, mainly because what it comes with is crappy 20 gauge or so.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
The speaker wire was the first thing that I replaced. It is all monster cable except for some temporary wiring that I made so I could move the sub to the back of the room. I am going to leave it in the back so I need to make a real wire. Somebody on another thread posted on how to do it.

Actually, it is a 150 watt amp.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well, first don't sell the 8 inch woofer short. I have an 8 inch DIY sub in a ported box and depending on the enclosure, sound dampening material and power, it could really rock. Definetly change the wires because I've seen what mildew can do to the wires. Now making the wire to hook the sub to the receiver from the rear of the room, well the short cut is to pick up some 75 ohm cable and RF connectors to allow you to hook it to the line out from the receiver will produce pretty good quality.

Erik*R

Agent
Hello Fellow Floridian! :)

I have had my speakers in storage for 2 years here in FL in an NON A/C storage unit then pulled them out to use them with no issues.

I would think the sub in the garage would be fine unless it had actual water/moisture condensing on it.

:D

Woops quick edit.. wanted to add that I use the Onkyo HT-S760 as my 2nd system (also connected to my PC) and the little woofer that comes with it is quite ok for me. Nowhere near the bass that my main system has but sounds great for the price. :)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jerome, that is what I plan on doing. But at 9 PM on a Wednesday night nothing was open and >gasp< everybody else in the house was asleep. Just one of those projects that is done with stuff lying around the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks