What's new

Garage system (1 Viewer)

Redneck 62

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard L.
Ok I have a question, Should I buy a smart DVD player for my garage? or a roku type device, I do have WiFi currently.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That depends

Do you need a DVD player? Do you have DVDs to play on it? DVD sounds so outdated these days since Blu-ray has become the primary format.

Otherwise, if you want it for "Smart TV" purposes, I think you will be much better off with a Roku or similar streaming device.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I do have cd's that I listen to , thus the reason for the dvd player.

If you're primary goal is to play CDs and not DVDs, then I'd definitely rip the CDs and use a streamer, like Roku. (Unless your actual goal was to get all the CDs out of your house and into the garage.) Once ripped your CDs can be played anywhere in the house, not just the garage.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
A little more information about your intended use would help. If you're only concerned with audio [and have a moderately-sized collection] then I would recommend ripping and using the ROKU or similar. Since you mentioned DVD however, I assume you want to watch video content as well. In that case it would be cheaper to go with a smart Blu Ray player but keep in mind, these types of devices rarely receive app updates like standalone streamers do.

Redneck 62

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard L.
Thanks John, I appreciate you comments, I would like to keep the CD option but am now looking to stream tv.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks John, I appreciate you comments, I would like to keep the CD option but am now looking to stream tv.

Sure thing. Yea, in that case I would look at a reasonably priced Blu Ray player with built-in streaming apps. Just make sure the apps you care about are included.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Actually, it also comes down to what streaming services you want to watch in the garage. The apps available on Blu-ray players are becoming more and more scarce, with newer services not even available on Blu-ray players (Disney+, Apple TV+, etc.). In that case, I would pick up an inexpensive DVD player for your CDs and a Roku for your streaming apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks