What's new

Garage Door Woes (1 Viewer)

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Just moved into my new house and my wife was sweeping out the garage today and "bumped" (I actually have no idea what she did) the electric eye sensor on the door. Now, as I understand it, these things are supposed to point at each other correct? I tweaked and jiggled and moved the damn thing around for an hour before giving up. I figured out how to override it though so at least I got it shut. It is an old 1/2 hp Craftsman and I don't have any directions for it. My question is, how do I line the sensors up? It is a single door, two car garage. So, it is about 15 ft across. That is a very rough guess. Anybody with any easy solution please help me. It is too damn hot in TN to be outside long.

Thanks,
Doug

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The sensors on my opener each have a little LED that lights when they are aligned.

Here's a garage door opener story for you: Last Tuesday, after a particularly grueling day at work, I got home and parked my car in the garage. When the door was being lowered, it got in bind about halfway down. My opener obviously didn't sense the obstruction and kept trying to lower the door, with the result of my garage door being folded (actually splintered) into lots of little pieces. Then, while tearing the rest of the door down, I threw my back out! I will admit that the muscle relaxers made the rest of the week quite enjoyable...

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, it has the little LED lights that light up and we had them lined up once. Then I decided I would tighten every thing up. When that happened, of course, the sensor rail moved and I haven't been able to get them lined up since. The joy of owning a house.....Geez. I need a nice easy way to get the things lined up using strings, levels, chinese water torture, anything.

Doug

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
I considered a laser pointer but I don't have one. I might have to buy one at a Golden Gallon tomorrow. All this for a stupid garage door. I am thinking of just over riding the damn things. I don't have any kids or outside pets so I am not worried about crushing anything. I will probably short circuit the thing so I will go buy a new screw type if that happens w/ directions.

Doug

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Those things can be the worst PITA!!!

In my case re-alignment after an unfortunate broom incedent required 2 people and a legnth of string. The transmitter end had been moved so that it was pointing ever so slightly above the receiver end. Of course I couldn't see that until I ran the string past both. Use the string on top of the sensors and along the sides. New fangled "laser" technology is cool but nothing beats a good old fashioned string for aligning those guys.

On the subject of strange door opener behaviour... A couple of months ago my door got where it would go down within about a foot of being closed then stop and go back up. I checked the sensor alignment and it was OK. Fine... It must be binding in the track. Several hours, no less than 5 skinned knuckles, many... many... many obscenities later and still no luck. Finally it hits me... As I watch the door going down I see a leaf hanging from bottom edge of the door from a spider web. Just the right position to block the sensor at about a food from the floor. DUUHHH!!!

Julie K

Screenwriter
I dunno guys, I lined mine up very easily.

Of course, they sit on a large crossbeam above the garage door opener and are located about 2 inches apart...

"Don't try this at home."

E

Eric Kahn

when I installed my garage door opener the instructions said to bend the brackets in and out to line up the sensors if twisting them on the mounting screws did not work

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think we have old craftsman in our home, you should definitely learn how to override the system in case of power failure so you can get out of the garage.

On ours, to basically use the garage door as a regular manual door, you simply have to look for the pull latch that is attached to the arm that connects the door itself to the chain that drives the door (maybe one of those screw type drives might be different). Anyway, on the arm, there should be a spring release that disconnects the door from the motor part and also allow you to manually operate the door. You may or may not be able to disconnect the spring latch via the pull cord but we've always sometimes had problems with that and had to put some force via your hands rather than using the pull latch. Then once disconnected from the chain, you should be able to open and close the door normally and lock it normally..

Hope this helps, don't know if all craftsmen are similar though.

Jay

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
If those sensors get to be a pain, I've seen people mount them on the cieling facing each other (about 2" apart) and they don't get knocked around. Of course you loose protection of the door closing on the car...or anything else....

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Tape a piece of string to one, run it to the other, line it up and tighten it down. Beats buying a laser pointer.
Peace Out~:D

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
If you decide to get a new opener for any reason, go for the belt drive. They are very very quiet. Makes sneaking in from those late night movie adventures much easier and you'll be suprised at what you'll catch your kids or SO doing.

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Well, lo and behold this morning I go out and the stupid little green lights are back on. Somehow, someway, they are lined up again. I think I might try that 2 in apart thing. I am really not worried about shutting the door on my car. I have figured out how to open and close it manually and as I said earlier how to override the sensors. So, thanks for all the suggestions and I will remember the string trick.

Doug

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't really think the sensors were included to protect the car if it's hanging out. They're meant more for the occasional dog or small child that might pass under the door as it's coming down.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Uh, you don't have to put the sensors close together to override them. Just rewire it properly at the garage door opener so it always thinks the circuit is closed (or open, depending on the circuit). In most cases this requires shorting the two wires that lead to the sensor - a 30 second job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks