Garage door adjustment question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Werner, Jan 12, 2002.

1. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

I have a double garage door that has a Craftsman opener. My question is when the garage door is closed (from inside the garage) there is light that comes through the top-mid section of the garage door where it meets the frame. I can push on that section of the door, there is enough movement to seal out the light. Is there an adjustment I can make to have it seal tightly? I checked the outside trimpiece with vinyl weatherstrip and it measured evenly across the top.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Where the safety latch is located, is there a bar with about 10 holes in it, in which the arm connected to the garage door is attached to one of the 10 holes with a pin and cotter key? If so you may be able to pull it back 1 hole, which would force the door tighter to the frame.

3. Sean Conklin

Is it a pull up door or a roll up door? My suggestion was for a pull up door.

4. David Werner

Well before seeing your second post, I went out and dismantled the arm with the 10 holes. I moved the bolts to the next hole and tried to put it back, but it was way to tight, couldn't even get it close to the cotter pin hole. So I put it back to where it was before. Where the arm with the 10 holes connects to the metal glide on the track it has about an inch gap from the metal bracket screwed to the wall. There is a pulley with a metal cable can that be adjusted for distance closer to the frame of the door?

5. Sean Conklin

I would think the metal cable is spring loaded and I do not know if there is an adjustment for that.

I just went out and looked at my Craftsman on my roll up door and the only thing I can think is to redrill the garage door maybe 1 1/2" up and move the bracket with the holes up to the next hole to get it a 1/2 inch closer to the frame.

NOTE: those measurements are just rough estimations and may not work for you. Was this just installed?

6. David Werner

Was already installed when we bought the house. I'll check the metal glide and bracket out tomorrow to see if it's moveable. Thanks.

7. Sean Conklin

Ok David, good luck.

8. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

The Side Tracks that the door travels on can be adjusted. Should be able to loosen the bracket right below the radius part of the track and move it in?

9. David Werner

Doug- The sides of the garage door are very snug, the only spot where there is a gap is the top-middle part of the garage door. The top rollers which are adjustable are moved to their closest position.

10. BryanW

BryanW Agent

All the Craftsman openers i've seen have a down travel adjustment on the opener should be two screws one says up other says down turn the down small amount at a time til it closes the gap good luck[​IMG]

11. David Werner

Forgot to post follow up:b
    The downward screw knob worked, there are two of them on the opener we have, the one on the side seemed to make the difference in allowing the bracket on the glide track to move closer to the frame. This snugged it up nicely, did have to tighten up the chain some as there was too much slack. Thanks for the help with this everyone. [​IMG]