1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Gap Teeth? Fixed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

This is a little embarrasing, but I hope that someone out there might have some advice.

I have a 3mm gap between my two front teeth that I have had for, um, forever. I have recently been thinking of getting it fixed.

A friend of my wife's had this process done where they just bonded in-between the teeth with some sort of white material that was shaped after it was put in. It looked fantastic.

The only problem is, with a 3mm gap, just filling in the space would leave me with some massive choppers in the front.

The dentist wants me to GET BRACES to bring the teeth together (not all the way, but just closer). This would leave me with NEW GAPS on either side of my front teeth as well.

THEN, he wants me to get 4 porcelain veneers for the front 4 teeth to get rid of all of the smaller gaps.

I've seen before and after pictures of someone who had this done, and it really does look good. NONE of this would be covered by insurance, naturally.

Would anyone out there have any advice? Maybe?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Shawn,
    I've had the same during my whole life. Never did anything about it and as far as I know, it never hurt me. When it developed (when I was 7 or so), they weren't sure it could be fixed in a really proper way, so we all decided to let it be. Since then, I have reason to believe most women don't mind at all, if that's any comfort to you. My personal view is: if we're going to "correct" innocent deviations on the beauty scale, we'll end up "correcting" more and more and more.
    In my daughters classroom, there was a moment that more than half of the girls were wearing an inner or outer brace. Two of my female colleagues had them for 2 years (and thus were certain to be "ugly" for at least 2 years of their lifes). But not my daughter who has a perfectly regular set of teeth (as has my son). It does run in the family, though: two of my aunts had the same.
    I normally forget about it completely (only try to remember when photographed), after all, I don't have to look at it [​IMG]. And if it doesn't bother you severely, consider to stop worrying and remember the whole operation can also fail (have less than optimal results), especially if it so complicated. BTW, those are possibly the teeth that will last longest, because they are free-standing and thus less susceptible to caries. [​IMG]
    Cees

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

"Vanity- it's my favorite sin."
    How old are you? When I got my permanent front teeth (age 7), they were large, and gappy, to say the least. My uncle, on a recent visit, was telling my wife that, back then, I could eat sandwiches through the picket fence.[​IMG] Over the years, though, and especially in my 20s, they started to really come together. Today, the gap is small enough, that I can barely fit a folded piece of paper in there (I'm 33). I had considered braces after I got my first real job (10 years ago), but then decided against. I don't have any issues chewing, and they don't look that bad any longer, so why bother?
    Those veneers always looked bizarre to me, since you can always tell something's up. Based on what you've described, it gives me an image of Matt Dillon's teeth in "There's Something About Mary." It almost seems trading one eye-catcher for another.
    You don't look like these guys, do you? [​IMG][​IMG]
    Anyway, as an "average looking Joe," I can empathize with your desire to "compete" in a world of manufactured beauty.
    Todd

4. nate g

nate g Auditioning

shawn, i have a gap in my front teeth. For a while now i have been wanting to get some sort of dental cosmetic procedure done. My wife says I'm crazy, because she loves me the way I am. Besides a self confidence issue, you shouldn't change the way you are. I mean, I've had no problem with the ladies over the years.

5. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Dude, the front-tooth gap rules! Do not be denied!

I thought of having it fixed when I was a teenager and then I decided I actually liked it. Plus, it makes it hard to mix up mouth guards when you're playing contact sports.

-JNS

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

My brother and mom had this done and it looks great. You'd never guess they had a gap there. I just about forgot they had this process done at all.

7. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    Well I had a few gap problems with my upper 4 front teeth throughout my teens and *very* early 20's. It never affected my dating life, in fact nobody ever took much notice of it BUT they bugged *me* and that's who you should be worrying about, whether it will make YOU feel better and not anyone else.

So I decided to get them "fixed". I discussed braces with my dentist first but ultimately it would not only be expensive but would take a good deal of time to correct.

Veneers were discussed but abandoned, my dentist felt they would not work so well for me.

So we decided to bond the teeth on the sides of my front teeth leaving only 1 gap between those front choppers. This ended up looking pretty good I must say!

However I still wanted that last gap corrected. Bonding would not work in my case, my dentist said it'd end up looking like "chicklets" (you know, that squared candy?) So we decided on crowns. (By the way, my insurance covered half of the expenses!)

I won't go into the whole procedure of crowns but you're fitted with temps for a month until you're permanent ones are made (I was told they're made outside the country as there is no such machine in the US!) ut boy when I got em, they looked swell! Color matched perfectly, everything. However crowns are for good, you simply cannot "go back" as our old teeth have been shaved down, split, etc so the crowns can fit onto them. Also keep in mind that crowns, bonding material, etc CANNOT be bleached/whitened so if you're a smoker, well, you'd better live with it or else you'll eventually have to get replacements if you want a brighter smile (cigarettes, coffee, etc all stain your teeth of course.)

So sit down with your dentist and pour over every option. Rest assured though, if your Dr. is worth his salt, you'll have a great smile when it's all said and done. Good luck to ya and I hope things work out great.

8. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice, guys.
    My teeth are all in perfect condition and are relatively straight. The only problem is the gap in the front.
    I'm 30 years old and the gap isn't getting any smaller. It's been the same size for quite a long time. I'd say it's slightly larger than the gap in Letterman's teeth.
    From what I understand, the porcelain laminates and crowns are pretty much the same. It's just that the crowns are a different material? The process is the same? Or is it just that the crowns are one step above the laminates?
    I want to do this for myself. I've been married 10 years so the dating scene isn't a problem. I've just never like it and am tired of it.
    Here is a link to my dentist's web site showing the work he did on another person with a gap. (Mine is larger).
    http://www.jameswhitedds.com/beauty/.../laminates.jpg

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Shawn,

10. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah. That's the process. He takes about 1mm of tooth material all-around, and then places the caps on.

11. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I have the same little gap in teeth, and I wore braces. I didn't mind the gap until now...thanks[​IMG]
    I probably won't be a good candidate for veneers. I had eight teeth pulled to make room for the rest of the teeth in my mouth because had a really bad over-bite. My teeth are straight and I would like them to be a few shades whiter, but not Baywatch white.
    Have you considered getting your teeth whitened? Maybe a brighter smile would lessen the effects of the gap, and with a blinding white smile, nobody would see the gap.
    Think "Ross's ultra bright glow in the dark" smile.