What's new

Gangs of NY - Major Edge Enhancement (and other issues) (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've read that the original running time for this film was to be an hour more than the current length. I hope that we get to see more of it some day...
Scorsese doesn't believe in altering movies. His stance on the subject is that the film you originally see is, for better or worse, a definitive result of the many factors that influence films during every step of production. Any difficulty he had with the Weinsteins during the editing remains, to him, a permanent aspect of the film itself.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"i just started watching this on Starz-hd" :frowning:

My cable company isnt carrying StarzHD yet. I wish they would.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Bill GrandPre wrote:

Scorsese doesn't believe in altering movies. His stance on the subject is that the film you originally see is, for better or worse, a definitive result of the many factors that influence films during every step of production. Any difficulty he had with the Weinsteins during the editing remains, to him, a permanent aspect of the film itself.
Scorsese recut NEW YORK, NEW YORK after its initial theatrical release. I wouldn't count out a possible extended edition of GANGS OF NEW YORK sometime in the future myself.

Vincent

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Scorsese did publicly say (don't recall where) that there won't be a recut of GONY.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Scorsese recut NEW YORK, NEW YORK after its initial theatrical release. I wouldn't count out a possible extended edition of GANGS OF NEW YORK sometime in the future myself.
Yeah, "New York, New York" is the exception and it's possible that he only formed his opinion on modifying his movies after that film's release. In any case, he seems to firmly believe it now. I believe he had the chance to have the blood in the "Taxi Driver" finale digitally re-colored (the color was toned down to achieve an "R" rating in 1976) for the DVD release since it would easily get an "R" by today's standards, yet the film appears on DVD as it was originally rated in 1976. Maybe if he would have had the chance to make this change shortly after the release of the film like he did with "NY,NY" he would have agreed to it, but when faced with the opportunity now he won't take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks