What's new

Gangs of NY - Major Edge Enhancement (and other issues) (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Dan M

Second Unit
What don't you understand? Your post apparently painted with broad strokes: can't trust reviews, and this DVD File review is proof why you shouldn't
I never once mentioned anything about a DVD file review.

Sorry if you took offense Colin. I see you are a reviewer yourself. I'm sure you are a fine one
:)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I found that EE is observed differently on different setups, without question.

Reviews MUST list equipment used to be more 'accurate'.

eg. I watched Patriot Games on my 2 calibrated setups, and it gave 2 different pictures.

EE on a 36" tube with 480i player.
No EE on a 50" plasma with 480p player.

uhuh.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
100" Screen. Front Projector (Sony). I noticed the EE 1/3 through the movie. It's annoying and wrong, but I try to immerse myself in the movie and bitch about the EE later.

So, now it's later... :angry:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is it edge enhancement that causes a significant and annoying "warbling" of straight lines like with bricks and venetian blinds and the siding on buildings whenever there is a pan (especially a vertical pan)? If so, I surely did notice a lot of this on GANGS OF NEW YORK. And this was spread out over two discs to supposedly enable maximum bit rate...

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
shimmering that would be, and a case of jaggies or stair-stepping...I believe.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dick,

That shimmering effect on vertical pans in scenes with lots of horizontal lines in them is not edge enhancement. If you're watching on a 4/3 set with no 16/9 mode, it's most likely due to the anamorphic downconversion done by your dvd player. This will also cause a bit of shimmer during credit rolls on all movies. Gangs has a lot of scenes that will trigger this phenomenon, many more than most other movies.

Edge enhancement causes a whitish "ghost line" on one or both sides of edges with high contrast. At the beginning gang fight in the snow, look for whitish "halos" around the dark people in long shots against the white snow background.

I saw the EE most prominently in that scene but it was also visible in many others. I did not see the film in a theater.

I do know that many films are now digitally color graded in post production and possibly otherwise manipulated and can't help wondering if the EE happened as a result of this rather than in the dvd mastering.

Some of the complaints about Road to Perdition's transfer involved things I saw in the theater as well as on the dvd presentation.

Perhaps someone who saw Gangs in a theater could comment on this, especially the rather prominent "halo" effect in that early gang fight in the snow.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
funny,

I have to rewatch this, as I don't recall distracting artifacts.

I have seen 'EE' on film - is it the same? Is that the source of it sometimes or is it different altogether?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
The EE is awful on this disc. There was a thread a little while back with someone who had picked up the disc way early saying the EE was awful and he was pretty much told to shut up because some of the early reviews said no EE was visible. I think at this point in time, it is safe to say that if somebody on a forum says he sees tons of EE in a title that is not yet released while an official reviewer says there is none, the forum poster is the one to be believed. I would rather have had the video all on one disc than be teased that the video quality would be OUTSTANDING with a two-disc transfer. Spread over two discs or spread over nine discs they still would have found a way to introduce EE to the picture to ruin it.

:angry:

The home theater enthusiasts are being screwed. I guess we all should have seen it coming. The quality of recent transfers due to the amount of EE is disgusting. Has anyone asked the studios if they are simply doing this to then market HD-DVD by lying and having comparison pictures of no EE versus EE saying with HD you don't get it?

It is awful and unacceptable.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The home theater enthusiasts are being screwed. I guess we all should have seen it coming. The quality of recent transfers due to the amount of EE is disgusting. Has anyone asked the studios if they are simply doing this to then market HD-DVD by lying and having comparison pictures of no EE versus EE saying with HD you don't get it?
Oh no, with HDTV they will add even more EE to make the picture look even "sharper" to Joe Walmart ;)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I just have a bad eye for EE or something, but it looks just fine on my 34" Toshiba.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
While we're on the topic of problems on this disc. Did anybody notice an echo whenever Amsterdam was narrating the story? It souns like Leo is talking into a tin can. I saw this film twice at the theater and that echo was never there.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I have seen the GONY DVD quality on a cinema screen!

In fact, it was the same cinema screen I'd seen it originally from film source.

The reason? They were advertising the DVD, and actually used DVD clips in the trailer.

OMG! What a terrible transfer! EE everywhere, and the palette was completely off from how I remembered it originally. It looked like the colour came from some dodgy camcorder and then shown on a badly-tuned TV.

For those reviewers who had good display equipment and still gave a >4/10 picture quality score - shame on you!

I was one of those who liked GONY but I'm not about to buy the DVD set. No way.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I just have a bad eye for EE or something, but it looks just fine on my 34" Toshiba.
Andrew_Sch,

When I was using my 32" Tosh in my HT, I NEVER saw any of the EE that everyone was complaining about. Yeah, certain transfers seemed better than others, but no EE was visible. Then, I recently ungraded to a 51" Hitatchi set and I have seen the light (or shall I say, halos)! ;)

When I used to see posts from people saying that some DVDs are "unwatchable" due to EE, I used to laugh. Now, I feel their pain and suffering as this DVD is alomst that way for me. I guess the upgrade to an HDTV is a mixed blessing...incredible images with well-done DVDs and high-def TV, but artifacting or EE is clearly visible when viewing on a set this big.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Almost makes me afraid to ever wish for a bigger set.:frowning:

And Travis, I notice the echo effect too, especially near the beginning where he's coming off the boat from Hellgate.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
That is really weird you guys talking about the EE/Halo issue on the Gangs of New York DVD. Mine is crystal clear on my Panasonic 36" tube TV. Stange.

Dan M

Second Unit
Cool how this thread keeps popping up.:)

Just wanted to chime in and say that I too hear the echo or slight delay coming from the narration. It only seems to happen early in the film. I can't say that I noticed this in the theater. Strange indeed.

I have mixed emotions about this transfer. At times it looks excellent on my display. Particularly the darker, indoor scenes believe it or not. But the EE is definitely there on some of the brighter scenes. It's soo unneccessary.

Overall a dissapointment, but watchable;)

Panny Rp91
Panny 56" widescreen
Tributaries SCV component cables
Richard Gray's Power

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
some quick observations:

1. Opening titles are VERY badly showing EE.

2. Opening shot of shaving is fantastic; however, shot of little boy shows pasty definition.

3. Yes, on the outside shots, there is bad EE as there are many buildings with wall lines etc. And yes, the inside shots do not. Matter of high contrast.

Most long shots are blurry basically.
Close-ups are fine.

didn't bother me when watching for the first time, as I hadn't seen the movie previously.

toodles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks