What's new

Gangs of New York in July!! (1 Viewer)

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Those specs look great. Glad they are spreading it over two discs to give us DTS and great picture quality. I do hope we get some sort of different release later incorporating in some way the footaged not used.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm. If it had deleted scenes and the movie on one disc, I would have gone for it. But I think I'll pass.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Who cares if it's spread over 2 discs if it means improved quality for such a long movie... I've been flipping LDs for alot longer than dvd has been around so I'm not worried... they should do it more often if it improves the presentation.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Why spilt the movie over 2 discs especially since it's less than 3 hours long? Why couldn't they just put the movie on disc 1 and all the extras on disc 2?

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
It would still require more compression than the current configuration to fit the film plus all the specified audio tracks on one disc... It's not just the running time either but the complexity of the image that determines the level of compression needed to create an acceptable result. If the film has highly complex backdrops for instance a higher bitrate would be needed to resolve all the details.

Brett C

Second Unit
Actually thats a bit rough, I say stick a Dolby 2.0 track on for people without 5.1 capabilities and stick a fullbitrate DTS track at 24/96....lol:)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I think they got Cameron Diaz and Daniel-Day Lewis' names under the wrong pictures on the DVD case. ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully there will be a press release that says whether this release will be the only one. If not, I'll wait for the one with deleted scenes and hopefully the film on one disc.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Has their been any Martin Scorsese DVD with Deleted scenes?

I know "The Last Waltz" had some extra Jam footage, but I can't think of any that had actual cut scenes.

We might be asking for something that Marty has never offered.

that said, commentary, featurettes and maxed out picture and sound presentation spread over 2 disc makes this a super giant must buy for me (seeing how this was a must buy any ways)!

hopefully there will be NO double dips, of course, if the extras were good enough, I'd probably bite.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Has their been any Martin Scorsese DVD with Deleted scenes?
It wasn't on DVD, but the SE LD of New York, New York had a deleted scenes supplement (in addition to the reinstated footage in the film itself), and that might've been the first time deleted scenes from a Scorcese film were released. More recently, on DVD, the Cape Fear disc also had deleted scenes.

DJ

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I think the reason we've hardly ever see deleted Scorsese is simply because there's never been a special edition of a Martin Scorsese movie. (Taxi Driver only had a doc, despite the 'collector's edition' label). Of course, that's about to change (Goodfellas is this winter, I think).

BTW, for those of you who didn't like it, watch this movie again. I've seen it three times, but didn't fully like it until the 3rd time. I think the main gripe about the movie is the thematic shift 2/3rds of the way into the movie and the lack of a final battle. On my 3rd viewing, I noticed the thematic shift (focus on the Leo, Daniel more than the 'big picture') beginning to occur way back at Day-Lewis's monologue, not at the scene where he hangs up the dead rabbit. Obviously, scenes are missing, but the shift isn't as dramatic (or maybe it's supposed to be that way) on repeated viewings.
I think the reason there's no final battle is that the gangs are losing the power that they once had (i.e. beginning of movie), that the outside world is "butting in (the bombing);" you, the audience, as well as the key characters, are expecting to deal with their problems on a level that's isolated and interferes little with the rest of the world (street fighting). they, and therefore we, don't anticipate outside events (the riots and bombing). They're expecting a big battle which will solve all their problems, but Scorsese undercuts that expectation and shows us that problems are not solved so easily. stuff we anticipated was overriden by events we didn't anticipate (we meaning the characters, or people in the audience who don't know about the draft riots). Of course, our 'movie instincts' tell us that there'll be a kick-ass battle at the end that'll solve everything, but Scorsese knows that wouldn't really help this narrative. The gangs are not quite as barbaric as they were in that opening scene. In any case, the undercutting of our expectations isn't so bad since we still get the draft riots, in place of the battle. it's very interesting how little gore there really is in this movie, especially given the director and subject matter. Reading over this, I realize how little sense this post really makes; I'm certainly not Seth Paxton :D , but I think the only real problem with the movie is that it's too short; hopefully that'll be resolved with Miramax's inevitable double-dip. I think people will better understand it in the years to come. Call it the 'Kubrick syndrome.'

Anyway, can't wait for that Scorsese commentary!

Nathan

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I meant more along the lines of a 2-disc set, but yeah, TLTOC is the most souped-up Scorsese we've ever had. The commentary is great.

You know, I think Miramax is spreading GONY over two discs simply to maximize sales. There's no reason for a movie that's not even three hours to be spread across 2 discs, and the extras seem like they could be really dismal (with the obvious exception of the comentary, can't wait to hear his thoughts on working with Harvey).
Same thing goes for Columbia's Punch-Drunk Love, which is a two disc set of a ninety minute movie (without commentary) and less than an hour of features!!! However, I have to congratulate Colombia for not putting any quotes on the cover- that's gotta be a first for their standard releases.

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks