Gaming TV advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin R M, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Kevin R M

Kevin R M Auditioning

I've been looking around for a new that I'll be using to play Xbox and Gamecube games on (and some very lite DVD and TV watching). I'm on a budget of about $400.00 and I've narrowed my choices down to two sets:

Toshiba 27" 27AF43 $399.99

Samsung 27" TXN2745FP $499.99

It dosen't mention it but the Toshiba does have 16x9. I'm also not sure if you guys are aware but the Samsung is an Edtv that supports 480p but you can enable 1080i in the service menu (cool but not many games support 1080i).

So my problemb is this: I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $100.00 for the Samsung or just stick with the analog. Can anyone who's switched from analog tell me if the quality increase I'd get from 480p is worth the extra $100.00 dollars.

2. EricScald

EricScald Auditioning

I have the samsung and love it. I mainly play gamecube and PS2 on it and with the 480p turned on for the gamecube it looks great. It also make non-progresive stuff look nice to.

check this post for some of my other thoughts on it.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=149190

P.S. Whats this about the service menu and 1080i can you give me more info on how to do this

3. Agustin

Agustin Agent

Stick with the samsung, the toshiba dont have 16:9 aspect ratio but the samsung can handle 480p this resolution is so damn good, but you need an xbox to play with true 480p

4. Kevin R M

Kevin R M Auditioning

If I remember correctly to enable the 1080i mode you need to turn the TV off, hit mute 1,8,2, and then hit power, and in one of the menus at the very bottom will be the option: "no 1080i", and you just switch it to on.

I've actually confirmed this by doing the trick on the 32" display model at Circuit City but it was a little while ago.

Anyways I think i may just tough it out and go with the Samsung. It's a little more then i wanted to spend (actually a lot more) but since it's really a 27" HDTV and I plan on using the TV for a while I think it will be worth the extra $100.00 investment.

I forgot to mention that the Toshiba actually does have 16x9 support. It's not listed in the specs but if you look on the remote for the tv on the right hand side is a button 16x9.