Gaming systems. What's on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I chose to skip this generation, actually, I bought a Nintendo 64 for my kids (under 7). What is next as far as game systems go. I may probably invest in that generation 2-3 years from now.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'm afraid there's no news to report on that front.

Check back in 2-3 years -rumors ought to start hitting in that time span. 2-3 years is just for rumors...expect actual product in 4-5 years.

BTW, you're missing out.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I'd say that 4-5 years is a little long-I'd expect new hardware in 3 years. I'm almost positive that sony has the Ps3 development underway, and MS will probably offer up a supercharged Xbox in the next few years-possibly with the ability to upgrade an existing unit.

As for speculation on improvements in the next generation-I'd have to guess that they might not be as apparent. Let's face it-you can only make so much eye candy. Hopefully things like better AI will take precedence.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Absolutely, all three console makers are already at work on the next, next generation.

Despite that I contend there is no way we're going to see a change in the historical 5-year life span of these current consoles. Sony will not release PS3 at the 4-year mark (3 years away) unless they have been beaten soundly by Nintendo and Microsoft (something that just isn't going to happen).

If all 3 consoles are mildly successful it makes no financial sense to release a replacement early.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Somehow though, I don't see the next generation as quite as much of a replacement as an enhancement. Possibly something like a "Ps2.5", that has a built in HD, network, and more memory etc might be a serious possibility in the next couple years.

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Camp,

All but Microsoft. Unlike the other console manufacturers, Microsoft isn't doing any hardware R&D. Much like the Xbox, the Xbox2 design will probably start no more than 2-3 years ahead of the projected launch day.

7. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The way I see it, Sony would rather lose this generation to Nintendo and MS and then come out with the superior product next generation (which would make them the hot product) than to release a console in 3 years that is a lot less than what it could be.

The PS3 won't be out for a while, and I expect that Sony will try to release it closer to the other consoles so there is less of a technological gap (the time gap could hurt them, but even with inferior hardware, they are kicking ass right now).

9. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

But that's the thing, Sony is most definately NOT losing this generation. They are excelling far above Nintendo and Microsoft in I would guess about every category...installed base, software sales, and overall quality of their software library. I would guess that Sony would like to delay the next hardware cycle as long as possible since they are making a killing off of the PS2 and STILL making a boatload of cash off of the PS1. They have played all of their cards right over the past five years from a business standpoint.

My standard disclaimer, I game on my PC, own a PS2 and Gamecube, and plan on getting an Xbox within the next six months if their library beefs up a bit. I am pro-GAMING, not pro-specific-console.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The sega dreamcast 2???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

13. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about other systems, but I *DO* know the PS3 will be based on IBMs "CELL" architecture:
    http://www-916.ibm.com/press/prnews....256A0D0056C7AC
    Per IBMs roadmap, CELL will not be taped out until late 2004 (prototype chips) and will not be available for retail sales until sometime in 2005 (Japanese PS3 launch)
    If you live in North America, you will not see a US launch of PS3 until 2006 and if you live in Europe you may be talking about 2007!!!
    I also believe M$/Nintendo's next-gen systems will be a year behind PS3....
    I agree with Gary that M$ has the luxury of waiting later than SCEI or Nintendo to develop their next system(s). XBOX was a 2 year project, while the CELL/PS3 started in late 2000 and I wont see it 'til 2006!!!

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Gary,

Your depiction of Microsoft's time table could probably be acurately used to describe Nintendo and Sony's next generation plans too. None of the three will be in any position to quote specs (even privately) for at least 2 years.

At this point "development" of next gen consoles is more like deciding upon wish lists of features and brainstorming sessions. I guarantee this is occuring within each company to some degree.

16. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Microsoft won't have to do serious work on hardware for a while simply because they don't design their own silicon. Sony does, in partnership with companies like IBM, Toshiba and LSI. They have years of R&D work to do in developing a new architecture. MS buys off the shelf, basically, and just looks at what the market leaders are doing in the timeframe they're shooting for. Nvidia has been working on 3D technology for years and every product from the NV1 has led up to the NV2A. That's years of work that MS didn't need to bother with themselves.

17. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Having other people do it for you still counts as development toward that next gen system. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all farm out help. That doesn't change anything said previously.

18. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

MS goes through third parties like Intel and nVidia so they can leverage technology developed for different markets in a console product. They are always working on new PC technology and when MS asks them (or one of their competitors) they'll adapt their current tech for an Xbox 2. But MS doesn't have a group of electronic engineers developing an Xbox 2 CPU or GPU. But there is a room of engineers somewhere at Sony working up the nitty-gritty of a PS3 architecture. It's a difference, it's debatable how significant the difference is, or whether one way is more advantageuos than the other, but the difference certainly exists.

19. Camp

Camp Cinematographer