What's new

Gaming and HDR monitors. Finally OLED. (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone shopping for any of the displays mentioned in this thread should double check that their computer has at least HDMI v2.0 and/or Display Port v1.4. My current PC, which I custom built with an ASUS motherboard that was released in 2019, has HDMI v1.4b and DP v1.2 onboard. I am rather upset with ASUS over this for a few reasons. The tech specs for this mobo on the ASUS website makes no mention of what actual version the video ports are, just that they support a resolution of 3840x2160. This mobo was marketed for gaming, and was released years after HDMI v2.0 was standard on nearly all UHD displays and devices, so the company’s excuse that “most users would use an add-on graphics card anyway” is pretty lame.

I found all of this out just recently when I connected my PC to my LG C1 OLED to begin an editing project that will require intricate color correction, and my current PC display was not good enough. I was unable to get the Intel UHD Graphics to recognize the C1 as an HDR capable display, and a call to ASUS tech support provided the bad news. I just cannot believe a gaming mobo built in 2019 and boasted 4K resolution had video ports that were outdated years prior to its release.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I’m interested in photo and video editing, not gaming, and with a M2 Max MacBook Pro on the way have been researching a suitable external monitor that utilizes the M2 Max specifications. The Nikon Z 9 and my drone have pretty nice 4K video options.

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

Up to four external displays: Up to three external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 144Hz over HDMI

Up to three external displays: Up to two external displays with 6K resolution at 60Hz over Thunderbolt and one external display with up to 8K resolution at 60Hz or one external display with 4K resolution at 240Hz over HDMI

These announcements sound promising.

https://www.theverge.com/23542274/samsung-dell-5k-6k-monitors-apple-macbook-macos-ces-2023

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone shopping for any of the displays mentioned in this thread should double check that their computer has at least HDMI v2.0 and/or Display Port v1.4. My current PC, which I custom built with an ASUS motherboard that was released in 2019, has HDMI v1.4b and DP v1.2 onboard. I am rather upset with ASUS over this for a few reasons. The tech specs for this mobo on the ASUS website makes no mention of what actual version the video ports are, just that they support a resolution of 3840x2160. This mobo was marketed for gaming, and was released years after HDMI v2.0 was standard on nearly all UHD displays and devices, so the company’s excuse that “most users would use an add-on graphics card anyway” is pretty lame.

I found all of this out just recently when I connected my PC to my LG C1 OLED to begin an editing project that will require intricate color correction, and my current PC display was not good enough. I was unable to get the Intel UHD Graphics to recognize the C1 as an HDR capable display, and a call to ASUS tech support provided the bad news. I just cannot believe a gaming mobo built in 2019 and boasted 4K resolution had video ports that were outdated years prior to its release.
Sorry to be late to this, I don't really frequent this subforum...couldn't you just upgrade the video card to get HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4? A 2019 mobo should easily support the 30xx and 40xx nVidia graphics card (though if you go too high powered you may need to upgrade your power supply too).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sorry to be late to this, I don't really frequent this subforum...couldn't you just upgrade the video card to get HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4? A 2019 mobo should easily support the 30xx and 40xx nVidia graphics card (though if you go too high powered you may need to upgrade your power supply too).
Well, that was the point that ASUS tech support made, but a new 4Gb lower end video card costs as much as what I paid for the mobo. There is no real excuse for anything manufactured in the last five years with an HDMI port that is supposed to support UHD resolution to be anything less than v2.0a. And especially if the mobo is marketed as a gaming mobo.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

This not loading for anyone else?

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Too small for how I want to mount the screen. Most gaming monitors don't seem to accommodate wall mounting.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Cool to see the new gen of OLED monitors. However I still use my PC as a hybrid gaming and work PC, so it's on a lot during the day with the desktop visible a lot. Unlike my 2 LG OLED TVs in the house, where I'm careful to avoid burn-in (I don't generally watch channels/services with static logos and images on them, I have power save timers set on my connected devices so if I fall asleep accidentally it will shut off automatically), during the day when my PC is on and connected to my standard LED screen, I very much walk away from it for extended times while the same static image is on (whether it's the toolbar, or the static desktop, or the desktop icons, etc.). Doing a significant amount of WFH this is just the routine I've settled into. And the monitor is on a lot more during the day/night than the OLED TVs are.

If at some point in the future there emerges an emissive tech that is immune to burn-in but has all the benefits of OLED, then I'll probably change my monitor to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks