What's new

Gamestop selling damaged "new" games; not accepting returns (1 Viewer)

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
As you know Gamestop is no longer accepting returns of new games, as discussed here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=gamestop

Well, I got screwed. I bought a "new" X-box game at my Lake Mary Florida Gamestop, and when I got it home and looked at it, it had scratches all over it. It also had little white fibers all over it, which might mean it was wiped off with something, I assume to get rid of the fingerprints. At Gamestop, they take the last disc out of the case when it is the last copy they have, and they put it behind the counter. I had bought a couple games like this there before, and I had been suspicious, but none were as bad as this thing.

I am not interested in any way in having a used game or DVD in my house, so I tried returning it, but no go. I was made aware of this policy about not being able to return new games. I protested saying that the game was damaged when I received it, and I believe that I strongly hinted at the fact that I thought the game was used. The clerk commented that the disc didn't look "that bad" to him. Another clerk said that I'd be surprised at how scratched up the discs could get in transit (even though there were no broken spindles in the DVD case). Nice try. He said that since I could clearly see that the disc had been taken out of the case when I bought it, that therefore I should have inspected it right there in the store to make sure that the disc looked okay. Unbelievable. He offered me the Six Dollar trade in value for the game, even though I had just bought the game from them five days earlier for $15.99 and I had not played a second of it.

I was just totally shocked that I was being treated like this. Basically I was being treated like anybody who had played the game, and beat it or didn't like it, and was trying to rip them off. This is absolutely the worst experience I have had of any kind at a B&M retailer since I can remember. The clerks showed absolutely no sympathy whatsoever to my receiving an obviously used disc. I just don't see how the disc could have received the scratches if it was new. I had read the above thread before I went there, and I probably should have made them aware of the lawsuit against their company for selling used games as new. I would have liked to put up more of an argument than I did, but it was obvious they just had no interest in refunding my money.

So, needless to say I would advise against anybody buying these games (or anything else) like this. You try to take them at their word that the games aren't used, and then they treat you like total shit when you find out differently. I expect to interact with some of these shady characters when dealing with people on Ebay, but not at a "respected" B&M like this.

I will be emailing their corporate office, for all the good it will do me. However, I just can't see myself shopping at this place again. There are plenty of other places to buy cheap new games these days that are actually new.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Just return it and say it is defective. They will always exchange it for the same title. Get yourself a new copy from them (that is actually new), and then never shop there again.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
It was the last copy they had, but maybe they'd give me a store credit. Do they accept returns at different stores?

--thanks

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Yes, they should. Especially if that one didn't have more copies. I'd give it a shot.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
honestly, i never shop at gamestop or ebgames..the employees are terrible 90% of the time and their company policies are even worse

best buy, walmart, target can all have my money when it comes to new games..because what you see is what you get..no taking games and reshrinkwrapping or anything like that

hell, of late, blockbuster's gamerush has been terrific....great trade in prices and offers as well

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, but they only carry the 'hits'.

I remember when CMR04 and Carve came out for the XBox. Not stocked at Best Buy, Wal-mart, or Target. And Best Buy gets games late (uses cheaper shipping to their stores) if they aren't featured in the weekly ad.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
It depends on who is managing the place. There are two Gamestops equidistant from my house.

The southern one is run by a jerk. The clerks are ok, but the prices on trade in alway suck and when she (the boss) is around, she spends more time chewing them out than letting them help you. Hate that place.

The northern one is run by a pretty cool guy who is a gamer. The clerks are really nice and are all gamers, they usually know their stuff. When the boss is around, you can expect bonuses for trading in multiple games and in general a fair deal.

My experience seems to be directly proportional to whether I head north or south to get to gamestop. So there you go ;)

Christop_Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
I used to buy from gamestop... a while ago for dreamcast i think and they never had any problems.. places sure change over time :P

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
As an ex-employee of a gamestop, I know that you are required by the company to "Gut Live Product", obviously this means taking the discs out of display cases. I can say from experience that the gutted discs were never treated well as a whole (not by me of course). They would be used in the demo machines, or the employees would take them home overnight, or they would just be stuffed in a drawer. I don't really like anything about the Gamestop stores, or the corporation as a whole and tend to buy online or at larger box stores.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Any one know why they take the discs out of a new sealed product? The one near me (Buffalo, NY) takes all of them out. The only reason I see is pure laziness on the store's part. They put all the cases on the rack and put the disc in when you check out. It just makes no sense. I purchased one game there and I NEVER WILL AGAIN. My disc had a few scratches on it as well. I prefer to scratch them myself, thank you very much.

James

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
The Gamestop near me only has a few empty box's on display, you take it up to the counter and behind the counter on a huge shelf, they pull an unopened (as far as I can tell) and sell you that one.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

That is bizarre. Actually the distributor of those discs should have something to say about it. As a consumer it is a reasonable expectation to receive new products as factory sealed. Another thing I've never understood about EB is that they'll waste rack space with five or six empty boxes of a new release when you actually get the game from the cabinet behind the register. At the same time they'll have a pile of titles arranged book-style at the bottom of the shelves so it's difficult to see what they have. Any of these managers ever consider the concept of merchandise exposure/cost per square foot of retail space? :confused:

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This new policy merely underlines a practice which was always suspect. That is (and I'll just say it): opening games, playing and/or copying them, then repackaging the [now used] games as "brand new". Usually this involves the fated "last copy", but I have it on full authority that this happens all the time with regular stock -- not at every location, to be sure, but at least two I could name.

Three out of five times I buy a game at a place like Gamestop, it ends up being the last copy and they give me the manhandled packaging with the smudged disc. I don't like it, but if I'm in this store at all it's because I can't find the game anywhere else, and if the game plays fine I just swallow my love of shrink-wrapped newness. But enough about fussy collectors like me.

The fact is: these stores are NOT sent floor copies of the game packaging, so they must cannibalize one game to use as the "demo". Many decent employees of these places don't like it either, but without access to color copiers and additional hours to copy and create "floor boxes", it's just unavoidable.

How much money do you suppose game companies would lose if they would simply provide floor boxes for each game? And if places like Gamestop treated any game that has had its disc removed as "used"? Well, apparently they'd both be out a bit of cash, because it's not happening.

For whatever reason, I just don't buy the pragmatic excuse most often given: "if it plays fine, then full price is justified." But there are plenty of used-price games that play perfectly (with full packaging). What makes them different? It's a double-standard. Regardless of a game's functionality, I only want to play full price for unopened games. I guess it's that thing called... errr... what's it called again?

Oh yeah -- principle.

~s

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
I've noticed that EB and EBX stores do this gutting too. I got a bad disc on one of these but the issue didn't become apparent until after the exchange/return period. Never again! I'll go to Costco or Circuit City from now on, or my local Gamestop (where they don't gut).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I would never buy a "gutted" disk.

I once had this happen at a BlockBuster (last time I went THERE!) with a DVD. I took an empty up to the counter, and asked if they had more. The girl said "just a sec". I waited, and out of the corner of my eye, saw her pull a disc out of a drawer, and put it in the case I just gave her. :eek:

I left. Never to return. To any BlockBuster. Ever. :)

I have yet to encounter this ridiculous practice at an EBGames store... but I'll certainly watch for these dubious "last copy" games...

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

It happens very frequently at EB, based on my past shopping experiences. If I'm looking for a specific title, I always ask the CSR if they have any 'factory sealed' copies in stock. On the odd occasion that a given title is sold out and the display shelf copies are the only ones remaining, I always pass on the offer to purchase those and try my luck elsewhere (as I live within reasonable driving distance of 4 EBs). I also call ahead to make sure that I don't spend my time on a needless trip.

I prefer to shop on their website anyway - better selection and prices, plus the assurance that a 'new' copy is, in fact, new when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks