What's new

Gamespot says Xbox The Thing better than the rest (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've felt somewhat let down by recent Xbox releases, so this is kind of a relief. I had been thinking about buying this game for my PC, as the PC version is usually superior, but now I might just get it for the box.
From the review:
"While the game has been recently released on the PS2 and PC, the Xbox version is the best of the three."
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...561544,00.html

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have the PC version of The Thing and from reviews I've read the XBOX version of this IS better... the PC version has higher resolution visuals etc but also has audio dropouts and lockups during cutscenes. Get it on the XBOX :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
There's also this tidbit for Xbox owners:
The textures and lighting in the Xbox version are fantastic; everything just looks so much more detailed than in the PS2 version. Unlike in the PS2 release, the flashlight is actually a light source in the Xbox version, which makes it extra creepy since a lot of the areas you have to explore are really dark, forcing you to use your flashlight to see. The Xbox version also has an extremely stable frame rate that never really slows down, even when tons of enemies appear on the screen at once.
With that in mind, I'm a little curious to know why both versions got the exact same 8.4 rating, but regardless, it does look like a good title. I'm thinking about renting the movie and the game and having a "Thing" weekend. If my nerves can take it... :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
etc but also has audio dropouts and lockups during cutscenes. Get it on the XBOX
I agree but the Xbox games look pretty good in 480P sent to my LT150 projected on a 120" screen. Beats a little monitor anyday.:D
It is in 480P right? (I remember hearing a bit of a debate over this..)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The Xbox version also has an extremely stable frame rate that never really slows down, even when tons of enemies appear on the screen at once
Ummmmm...huh?
1st gripe I had about this game is the crummy frame rate!??! Unless my Xbox is slower than everyone else's, :rolleyes, this guy is off base. I noticed lots of slowdown just simply looking around. Remember thinking to myself, "well, here's another ported game"! There's no way it's taking advantage of the hardware?!!?
Enclave looks MANY time more fabulous than The Thing and it ran MUCH smoother on my Xbox.
I'm enjoying The Thing but, it's certainly not that great looking. I will admit, the flashlight effect is VERY nice! :)

Users who are viewing this thread