What's new

Gamespot reviews of XBox and Gamecube games (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
IMHO Gamespot are usually damn good with their reviews. Seems that Halo is as good as we hoped, Gamespot gave it a 9.7, though other XBox titles didnt score too well. Nice to see 9.4 for Rogue Leader!
Halo - 9.7
Oddworld - 7.9
DOA3 - 7.9
Fusion Frenzy - 6.7
NFL Fever - 7.9
Rogue Leader - 9.4
Luigi's Mansion - 7.9
Wave Race - 8.5
Super Monkey Ball - 8.8

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well, its just like I expected. The only good XB game is Halo (and its GREAT) and all the GCN games are good.
Sorry if this sounds fanboyish, but its true.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It sounds completely fanboi-ish, Morgan. If Luigi is good at 7.9, surely the XBox games at 7.9 are good too? Which means there's more than just Halo that's good...
I'm not casting aspersions on quality - just your logic using those numbers
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm in sports when there is a trade one asks who got the better off the deal?
It is generally conceded that whomever received the best player won the deal regardless of how many other good players were involved in the deal.
So it would seem then that Halo is the prize game.
No fanboy here either - just presenting another possible perspective one can use to rationalize their choice.
biggrin.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to try out the games for yourself.
I played Halo at a kiosk and I sure wouldn't give it a 9.7 (I won't incite an argument by telling you the score I would give it...)
It does come down to games. All the hardware in the world doesn't mean squat. Find the system with the games you like, and buy it.
Pretty simple, no?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Instead of using averages, how about using ratios? Good GCN games compared to good XB games would put the GCN in the lead (assuming an 8 would be a game worth buying).
Nonetheless, my money would end up better spent on the GCN and all the launch games than an XB and all the launch games based on the review numbers.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Actually Mike, Dead or Alive automatically suggests typical fighter to me, while Super Monkey Ball suggests something quirky, which may not be worth it, but is at least worth a look :).
For some of us it's about innovation rather than ass-kicking adrenaline, because frankly fighters don't always deliver that for me :P. Same reason I get hyped hearing a game that has a goofy name like, oh, say, Para Para Paradise
biggrin.gif

Names mean very little in the end, as gameplay can make even the most childish concept fun for everybody, or the most mature premise as maddening as hell.
Just my thoughts on it, but personally it's getting a bit thick around these forums with system biases seeming to weigh in with people's judgements all the time. Not saying you're doing that, but some people are, and it's aggravating. I'm looking for opinions on software here, not the machines that are powering it. And people who instantly go, ooh, GameCube is for kiddies and ooh XBox is mature audiences and blah blah blah is making me nauseous. Are we going to let little kiddies play Resident Evil? Doubt it. Eternal Darkness? Doubt it. Some will, but these are games who are not aimed at young children. Period.
I love my GameCube, definitely, but I'm not a system snob. I just don't want an XBox. But the games, hey, yeah, they do look cool. Halo in particular looks worthy of a little playtime, same with DoA3 (rental only, I played DoA2 and it wasn't worth a purchase). I just think Nintendo's finally going to grow up a little, and I plan to tag along for the ride this time. I no more expect people to begrudge my choice anymore than I really care less about what people choose to play their games on.
Face it everybody, it's about the games, not the console. Period. Haven't you ever bought a system just for one game before? I know I have. And I'll do it again I'm sure. So why not just enjoy what we have instead of constantly going into system snobbery and ridiculous stuff like that? Otherwise it just proves that not all the children are playing on GameCubes
wink.gif

------------------
Mark Evans
Low Rent Movie Critic, Low Rent Home Theater Owner, Low Rent Everything

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you. The games are always more important, and with the power of the consoles being what they are, the focus should be more on the software than the hardware. If you were to compare the consoles game libraries to eachother, that would give you a better idea of which console you should get. It shouldn't be based on just pure power or DVD playback, but rather on the things you will use it for (which are games).
I have said before that I don't think much of the X-Box, but a lot of that comes from my dissatisfaction with its games. Yes, Halo will be great, but I could care less about all the other games. The GCN has Rogue Leader, which I am looking forward to, plus other games coming out by the end of the year that I am looking forward to.
Wow....I should stop talking...

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Well put, Mark. Someone needed to say that.
Look, we all like videogames. We're all looking forward to the new systems and the games that will accompany them. It's just that not everyone will be buying the same games or the same systems. Deal with it. The fact is, no matter what system(s) you choose, we're all going to be enjoying some great games during the last two months of this year. The reviews at Gamespot indicate that even further. So stop bickering and have fun.
As for Super Monkey Ball, the game offers much more than one might think. I've had the opportunity to play a good portion of the game can safely say that not only is the single-player game fun, addictive, and more challenging that jumping across the English Channel, but it's multi-player games simply kick ass. Easily, it's one of the best party games around.
So when you look at a game, don't discount it simply because of the way it looks. Great game play should always overshadow image.
------------------
-J.Fo
"He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
So when you look at a game, don't discount it simply because of the way it looks. Great game play should always overshadow image.
That is soooo true. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen as much anymore.
frown.gif

Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks