What's new

Gamespot Reviewed THPS3 on Gamecube...interesting reading (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
I didnt expect to read this:
Unfortunately, all this graphical prowess looks nice up close and makes for pretty still pictures, but in motion, the game can be a little erratic. The frame rate bogs down whenever you're taking a look at a large section of complex geometry--the Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Skater Island levels are the worst offenders here. Some sections of Tokyo cause the frame rate to drop rather drastically. In a game that is so dependent on timing, these frame drops can really interfere with the gameplay. To give those of you who haven't seen other versions of the game a point of reference, the PlayStation 2 version only rarely slows down, and when it does, the drop isn't enough to truly interfere with your timing. For those of you trying to decide between the two versions of the game, the GameCube version also looks slightly washed-out when compared to the PS2's vibrant colors.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
The game still plays great, but it sucks that the developers rushed it out for launch. The game was also going to feature an exclusive level for the Gamecube, but that was dropped when they rushed it out to make the launch.
furious.gif

------------------

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I also wonder exactly how much truth there was to the claim that the game was being built from the ground up to take advantage of the Cube, rather than just being a port of the PS2 version. Maybe that's another promise that went out the window (along with the added level) in order to get the game out for launch.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Hmmm..... Will go for the PS2 version when I gets my PS2 then methinks. Upset to hear this though, I hate rush jobs.
Dan (UK)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I agree with you guys, THPS3 was never supposed to be a launch title and when it made it I was always a little worried that they might rush and not polish it up as they should. Still, doesn't sound all that bad.
------------------
[ Home Theater | DVD Collection ]

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Anyone want to speculate if the XBOX version will be the best of all three when it's released?

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
cube.ign.com has stated that it is an exact port of the PS2 version. Funny that both reviews differ a little bit. Did I mention that I hate ports. I think that Activision will crap out on the X-Box too. This is the sad thing about games going multi platform because the developer cheaps out and does not spend time with each version they just send it off to another team to do the port.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Why would they start "crapping out" on ports now, when last year they released an awesome port of THPS2 for the Dreamcast? I can see them rushing the Cube port, but if they have time for the X-Box port, why would they release a junky product?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
One of my employees purchased THPS3 and I let him have his Gamecube on Friday. He tells me the graphics aren't quite as good as he expected. I specifically asked him about slowdown and he said there was none. Perhaps he didn't play those levels?

Ryan...i have the opposite view on THPS2 on the Dreamcast.Sure it does look beter than part one,but honestly not by very much.
I'm not sure if you've ever seen it,but Segas arcade game Air trix is much more along the lines of how i expected thps2 to turn out on DC.Just my opinion.
As far as the gamecube THPS 3 is concerned there was a "team" of 2 people porting it to the cube.Seems a shame they wouldnt hold it for release later with the issues ironed out.
[Edited last by andrew steven wells on November 17, 2001 at 05:36 PM]
[Edited last by andrew steven wells on November 17, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks