What's new

Gamespot review Amped (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I picked up TransWorld Surf last night. Maybe I just don't have a knack for surfing but this game is *tough*! I do seem to be slowly getting better though, so I'm not quite ready to get frustrated and throw the controller through the tv yet :)
Everything else about the game is gorgeous though; the water effects are the best I've seen. Only thing that I really wish they had added was the CD-ripping function. It should be mandatory in Xbox games like this. A create-a-surfer option would have been cool too.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Wow,I thought for sure that Transworld Surf wouldn't be good at all.Guess I'll have to try it out.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
TransWorld Surf's worth a rental at least. Probably the best Xbox game that's getting the least amount of notice. While I don't normally care about video game reviews, I will say that the review of it over at Gamespot is absolutely dead-on. It perfectly summarizes my feelings about the game.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Is Transworld Surf basically Tony Hawk on a wave? It looked like it from the video... I've never seen a surfer grind a wave before.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Kinda' hard to grind without truks(G&S were always my favourite for grinding on street).

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up my X-Box and Amped was one of the games I chose. Did I make a mistake? I also chose Halo and NFL Fever.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I meant the general opinion, as in everyplace I go says to get SSX Tricky instead because its a better game. I'm not saying its my opinion, but the opinions of the people who reviewed the game from several places, including EGM.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I usually have no problem with reviews that are different than my opinion, but the guy who wrote the Gamespot review of Amped was just plain wrong. It is painfully obvious that he played very little of the game and gave up.
The main gist of his review is regarding control. He mentions how difficult the characters are to control, and that you cannot adjust their positions in the air. This is completely wrong. You can twist, turn, do whatever. You can even change the direction of the spin, which helps in making a clean landing, which is crucial in Amped. If he played only a little bit, his character's stats may have been so low as to make this almost unnoticable. I found that you have to start with very simple tricks, get clean landings, and improve your stats before trying the tougher tricks. It'd be like trying to perform a natural 900 rocket air in Tony Hawk with a new character without any stat points. I'm guessing he unlocked a few courses, got a few stat points and called it quits.
Inexplicably, he gives the sound a rating of 10. I don't claim to have golden ears, but his must be tin. Clearly the discerning judgement of someone who prefers quantity over quality. :rolleyes
I'm beginning to really dig this game. I'd give it bad marks for audio, and a stupid recurring challenge to find all the snowmen on a level. On the plus side, there is a steep but rewarding learning curve (so far). Control is tough at first, but great once you get it dialed in. No time limits allow you to cruise around and check out the massive courses the way you want. No more worrying about hitting the check points. The graphics aren't as nice as the previews, but are satisfying, and the snow is beautiful.
Definitely worth checking out, but it took me a few days to "click" with the game. I'm betting that the Gamespot reviewer spent a few hours and wrote a poor review. Kinda like writing a review after the first chapter of a book.
-Dave

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Dave, glad to see you 'clicked' with the game. I know I have. I agree, the Gamespot guy had no clue what he was writing. He says it's both very easy and very difficult, and exclaims you can sit in one spot and grind. I've only found one place you can do this, and it was early on in the game. If you try it later on there is a big message that pops up and tells you to keep moving, and then takes away any points you get while stalling. The graphics aren't as good as those doctored pictures had us believe, I think someone in the marketing department got a little carried away. Anyway, if they aliased more things, I think it would have looked even better. I think the next Amped is going to be outstanding. Hopefully they won't take the lazy way out like EA and just redo a few mountains. Really they can't since the mountains in the game are authentic.

RE: the sound. I love the sound, I turned the people talking crap all the way down, and then threw my own ripped soundtrack into the game: voila, excellence.

Loving this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks