Gamespot download manager may use your machine as a server

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mourad, Aug 4, 2002.

1. mourad

mourad Extra

When I was going to download a game video demo from Gamespot, I was prompted to accept the license for their download manager "powered by Kontiki". Out of curiousity this time, I decided on reading, and guess what - bullet 3 says:

"You understand that Content will be stored on your personal computer until it is deleted at your direction or until it is automatically deleted by the operation of the Kontiki Delivery Network. You will be asked whether you agree to participate in the relay operations of the Kontiki Delivery Network that assist in the acceleration of delivery of Content. If you agree to participate, you are agreeing that solely as part of the operation of the Kontiki Delivery Network Kontiki may through the Kontiki Software access Content stored on your computer and reproduce portions or all of this Content in order to distribute such stored Content to other users of the Kontiki Delivery Network who request delivery of such Content." (sic)

in other words, your computer will become a server for any files downloaded!!

Obviously, if nothing is downloaded and the Kontiki software is not installed on your machine, then nothing's compromised.

Lesson - always read the fine print.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think KaZaA and some other programs also work like this. That's why I don't use download managers, I only have one program that is a download speeder upper.

3. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

If it is a video of a game. Where is the file sharing program within? Not possible. Sure it can be viewed by others, but others downloading off of you is not true. I'm 56k, now if I viewed the video, think of logic. Where is the connection between me and anyone else, and what if I view the video offline.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When the file is saved on your computer, I think that it gets downloaded from you when people try to download it from GameSpot at the same time as it is being downloaded from GameSpot. This makes it download quicker (of course, your PC must be on) and can free up some bandwidth from GameSpot.

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Bert - it's a download manager that you download before downloading the video/demo/etc...
    Kontiki = Bad
    -Dave

6. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

How dare Gamespot. I remember back in the day when Gamespot was free, not this 3 day or whatever the hell the little timer is set on before it's locked for members. So shaftlicking...

-Bert

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Acccckkkk....why would a company do something like that? Spyware sucks...they must be getting paid some big bucks to promote that suck-fest!
    -Andre F

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They published a public denial of it today

9. mourad

mourad Extra

Jeff - Where is the public denial you're referring to?

10. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Since when is spyware the same as peer to peer networking? That's what this all sounds like to me. You guys all knew that Napster does the same thing, you your computer as a server for people who wanted to download as shared file of yours. What's the friggin deal?

Frankly I have no idea as I've never had to use any download manager to get files from Gamespot Complete. I just click the link and save the file as a zip archive (that's what all the files actually are, I presume the download manager makes that part transparent to the user.).