Gamespot Complete...are you still happy with it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jeff Peake, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I am considering subscribing to GS Complete. I guess I should have done it a while back when it was $20/year.

To people that have been subscribers for a while, do you still think it is worth it??? Have they added any new features?? I see they have a "Game Tracker" that looks cool, and the Ice style sheet looks much better than the black background version.

I was reading the FAQ and it claims that new features are being added. What has been added so far???

Do the high-speed downloads require that you use any crappy third party tools to download (do they still use Kontiki?)

I havent seen much discussion on this lately, thought I would get an update on the service.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Romier,

If you had to choose one to subscribe to, IGN or Gamespot?

I usually read IGN's reviews, and have found Gamespots to be unfair at times, just my opinion though...

Mike D.

4. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I had both, let both run out, and may subscribe to IGN again. IGN is running a good deal for new subscribers now, getting a year of EGM free. Its not a great magazine, but not bad.

Gamespot had larger and better quality videos, which you could stream. Gamespot also had slightly longer, and better video reviews. Gamespot's presentation is better, and offers PC downloads.

But, Gamespots reviews are often late, or significantly slower then IGN's. Gamespot also doesn't compare versions of games like IGN.

IGN's reviews are very up to date. IGN seems to have good question/answer sessions on the big games. Usually, IGN has more videos, though they are smaller. I also like IGN's comparison videos (side by side video of the game on different systems). They also do comparison articles.

Board wise, IGN has a better set of forums, though neither are great.

IGN's early reviews are Insider only, so you need to belong to get them. Gamespot's early reviews, when they have them, are open. You can't look at Gamespot's historical archives for free, but you can at IGN. Its more frustrating to not have access to an early review, then to not see older reviews of games. By that time, there are dozens of other free reviews on the web.

Anyway, after having both, I'll probably reup with IGN and not Gamespot. IGN is just more up to date, and has more content, and good comparisons.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Wow, Scott wrote 242 words in his post and I agree with every one of them. Well said, man.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

8. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Well, I haven't really made up my mind, but there were a few reviews that left me scratching my head. Naturally I can not think of an example at the moment...

To be fair, IGN has reviews I haven't agreed with, just less of them. And my biggest gripe with Gamespot was picking MechAssualt as their Xbox game of the year... I mean really, what were they smoking? [​IMG]

Also, I agree IGN's editorials are fanboyish, without a doubt. I'm also frustrated with video only reviews on the head to head. While I'm sure it's nice, I'd like both, as I can't watch the video at work (well, I can during lunch), but would like to read them like past ones.

Maybe I'll just get both [​IMG]

Mike D.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Gamespot is teh bias! [​IMG]

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

What's the deal with "teh"?

I see widespread use of it on the NASIOC forums...

Mike D.

11. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

It's just a commonly made typo when typing fast that is now commonly used for comedic effect. Often used when imitating fanboys who usually happen to have many typos in their posts.

12. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

I never really liked the Gamespotting interviews, though I didn't really read them in depth. At that point, I'd rather read the forums for opinions, then more articles.

IGN's reviews tend to be overly optimistic in some regards, while Gamespots tend to be overly critical, from my experiences. I just adjust when reading.

I didn't use Gamespots download service much. Most of the patches I need I grab from the developers. Gamespot only was useful for large demos, to avoid fileplanet. Then, you still have 3dgamers and other download sites, so not to hard to avoid Fileplanet.

IGN let you get away without ads for the most parts. I don't care about banners, I ignore them anyway. Its the pop ups, and other displays that kill me, and both IGN and Gamespot were good about this.

As for the video reviews, I'm split. Gamespots have the editors on screen to often (and they really shouldn't be). IGN's are smaller, and maybe a bit shorter. Quality wise, they are about the same. Gamespot has slightly more though, which is nice.

Anyway, not to completely dispute Romier. I did enjoy both sites at some point, but just find I miss IGN more. Its mostly because of the newer reviews, and better previews. (The Q&A's are well done). I don't think I'd pay for both, but I'd consider it. I still may/may not get IGN. I do think the addition of a free 12 month subscription to EGM really is a huge advantage for IGN now though. Its a good enough magazine to have lying around, especially for free.

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

I just subscribed to IGN recently, couldn't resist the combo subscription with EGM. One thing I was happy to find out is you can disable most of the ads if you're a subscriber. For me it came down to familiarity with the reviewers and their particular biases. I've been reading IGN for a while now and know which reviewers I agree with and which I don't. And I'll agree with Romier, the forums are a nightmare. Thankfully, I found my way here last year. [​IMG]

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

16. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Well I ended up getting a 1 year subscription to GS Complete.

I like the Ice look, the good videos and highspeed downloads. $2/month doesnt sound so bad.

I agree that thier reviews on new games are not always on time , IGN gets them done quicker. But I generally like the gamespot reviewers. Some say they are biased, but I seem to have similar taste as I agree with many of thier reviews.

Jeff

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer