GameShow Appreciation Thread....

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DeathStar1, Jun 13, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, After leaving a decent board with knowledgable people, I decided to come to a nicer board and discuss gameshows [​IMG].

Now, we need someone with inside info here...anyone work at CBS, or know someone who does that can find out for us?

Apparently, rumor has it that the 'Bob Barker Studio' where Matchgame, and now Price is Right is filmed, has gotten HD Cameras installed. Now, I don't know if they use that studio for another show(Most Likely)....but it is interesting. It would be great to see Price upgraded to HD.

Who do you think is the worse Family Feud host? Louie Anderson gets my vote. While I am on the portly side myself, Louie is almost grotesquely out of shape and not the nicest thing to look at on TV. Also, that voice of his is like getting a Cheese Grater rubbed on your brain. I can't belive he beat out Rob Paulsen for a Voice Work emmy.

Richard 'I'm doubling the points' Karn did an OK job, and was a nice enough guy to chat with us in the audience during breaks about survey answers....it'll be interesting to see how much more lively the new host, John O'hurghley(sp?) can make the show. Anyone know if his shows are taping yet?

Neil

2. BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ Second Unit

wow that would be great to see Plinko in HD[​IMG]

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I'm a huge game show fan. I can't get enough of Press Your Luck; there needs to be a major network revival (and I don't mean that awful GSN "Whammy!" show).

Louie Anderson is the worst FF host just for that voice, although I have a feeling that Ricki Lake will be even worse when she does it on this Gameshow Marathon thing.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I miss gameshows. Some of my best childhood memories were staying with my Grandma and watching gameshows with her every morning from 9am 'til 1pm. Now daytime TV is mostly boring talk.

Remember when the winners on Wheel of Fortune used to have to spend their winnings buying ugly, overpriced merchandise? ...and I'll take the ceramic dalmation for $500... [​IMG]

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

She's been ok. GS maration has been pretty entertaining and the Press Your Luck episode last week was pretty exciting.

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Tonights episode was MATCH GAME!

spoiler!!!!!!!

With Betty White as a panelist! She was old then... how old is she now? [​IMG]

I just caught the tail end and taped the rest. I'll post scans sometime tommorow as I watch the rest of it [​IMG].

7. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

We use to love gameshows when we were kids, but I can't honestly remember the last time I really watched a typical gameshow. Here is a list of some of our favorite shows to watch.

Price is Right
    Win Lose or Draw
    Card Sharks
    Press Your Luck
    Double Dare
    Fun House
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
    Concentration
    Super Market Sweep
    Legend of the Hidden Temple
    Dream House
    Remote Control
    Win Ben Steins Money

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't like Louie Anderson and I do like Richard Karns, but I hated his Family Fued. Too many changes. The music was terrible, as were the sets. Don't mess with a classic. Really, though, it goes Richard Dawson, then Ray Combs, and then the show ended as far as I'm concerned.

I love the Gene Rayburn Match Game, but I don't think I'd be interested in a modern version. The key problem is, I don't like modern celebrities. There might be a couple they could find that I could stand to watch, but not if other celebrity game show revivals are any indication. I'd rather just watch old reruns on GSN. That channel has been slowly going down the tubes since they changed the name, though. Lingo is okay--not great. I despise PlayMania and the new I've Got a Secret.

I guess the only current-run game show I really like is Wheel. I don't dislike Jeopardy, and I love Price is Right, but I just never see them. I hope Price hasn't changed much. I love the music and the whole vibe.

As to what I watch on GSN:

Millionaire
    Lingo
    Match Game
    Street Smarts
    B&W Overnight--favorite being What's My Line

9. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

A lot of info, I know, but I have a lot of interest in this subject.

For me, Family Feud is all about the 1988-1994 CBS/syndicated era with Ray Combs. When he got the boot in 1994 it all went downhill. Firing Ray was the worst mistake, by far, that was ever made on that show. He was so energetic and funny. I think his best bit on that show was reading joke questions to the second player in Fast Money after the first player received the necessary 200 points to win the cash on their own. After everyone had calmed down he brought the second player out and told him/her something like, "Your partner only came up with 18 points. You need 182 points for $10,000." He then asked questions such as, "There are over 2,000 lunar lakes on the moon. Name one." and "There were Three Stooges. Name Curly's wife." The Bullseye round that was added in 1992 was pretty cool. The only thing I didn't like about it was that a single valued question had to be dropped in order to accomodate for time.

The Main Theme

A Rafferty Card Sharks page

an amazing video of a contestant playing the Money Cards on the CBS Eubanks edition

Match Game - The 1973-1982 CBS and syndicated episodes with Gene Rayburn and the 1990-1991 ABC episodes with Ross Shafer

The Price Is Right - All episodes since 1972 (Bob Barker, Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, Doug Davidson)

Here's my Price Is Right thread over at the Friday the 13th Forum

http://70.84.119.226/~evemag/media_tpir/segment32a.mov - My favorite Price Is Right opening of all time.

[​IMG]

Double Dare - 1986-1994, Nickelodeon, Fox, syndication, Marc Summers

A celebrity episode from 1988 with David Faustino and Staci Keenan

Main Theme

60 second obstacle course music

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Finally catching up on my DVR gameshows..

Anyone know where I can find that Green Whammy with a Circle over him T-Shirt that Peter T. Holds up after every 'home winner' show?

A quick google search didn't reveal it. Just a Green shirt with a small assed logo and a whammy leaning on it...

11. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Amazon.com has a few PYL t-shirts but the only one with the logo as you describe is yellow...

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Finally got a chance to see the Familly Feud ep...

Ricky looked/acted a bit drunk in her reactions toward the end... and for some reason Kathy's husband freaked me out [​IMG].
    Other than that, I LOVED the set...Just goes to show, classic design works for a reason [​IMG].

13. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone watching the 6/20 week of Match Game on GSN in June?

Betty on Ladies Man...

And Fred, Man of a thousand voices above her...

Since they didn't give last names, what are these two famous for? The blonde looked like she was drunk most of the time [​IMG].

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I just saw the best moment in TV History. After months of Making fun of Bobs Age, and Bob himself, Craig Ferguson finally got what he deserved...

http://www.shreddersdojo.com/Images/BobDesk.jpg

I was just thinking at the begining of the show, when he made fun of Bob again, I wonder if Bob will ever make an appearance. THat, and when Bob came out with the models, wether he was Hugh Heffner or not [​IMG].

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
  16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    neil VAnyone watching the 6/20 week of Match Game on GSN in June?

Betty on Ladies Man.../quote

huh?

And Fred, Man of a thousand voices above her...

Since they didn't give last names, what are these two famous for? The blonde looked like she was drunk most of the time [​IMG].
    answered your own question there. his last name was probably travalena.
    http://www.fredtravalena.com/index01.html

heh, greg beat me to it.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    anyone know what happened to matchgame.org

was the best resource i read on the net for the match game all versions.

18. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Heh. All Neil had to do was bump his post, and the answers just flowed.

19. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Not intentional, mind you. I forgot about those questions and wanted to post the bob barker bit [​IMG]. Anyone know what happened to Bobs hand?