Games Wall of Shame

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayKk, Jul 14, 2003.

1. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

A while back I started the miles of boredom tour, my idea was to exploit useless crappy games and it just sort of fizzed off, it was just merely fun, but on the readers here some people where asking what ever happened to it so I would like to see if there would be anymore interest in this kind of thing and asking for ideas and input to setup rules and what ever to amass a Game Wall of Shame, game producers and publishers do read these boards and the last thing they want is bad PR and be on anybodies Wall of Shame, lets face it to them the bottom line is the bottom line and the end user should let these companies know that crap is crap and we set the bottom line.
    After Prisoner of War (xbox) and Need for Speed port for xbox, my game selections have been getting critical although I will buy some games upon release and get burned, not a problem Ill put the game on tour, game producers will tell you how tough it is for the production of the software whether its in engineering, programming or what ever (I know whats involved and its big), but thats not our problem we are the end user, we are the ones that pay for this, so instead of taking their excuses we demand a better product and if they cant make a good product, get the hell out.

2. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

Good idea! I'll throw one out there: Enter The Matrix. Crappy graphics, crappy controls, and a storyline that drags (and the gameplay just adds to this). I say this title too off the top of my head because it sold a ton of copies, and yet the developers need to know they're putting out trash that any self-respecting gamer wouldn't buy. (By the way I'm referring to the XBOX version--the really flashy one that supports 1080i and all-lol)

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Although I returned my copy of ETM within a week I have to say in the end it was an enjoyable game. I miss doing all those cool moves and stances Ghost had. Oh and that fight with Trinity was a great surprise!

On my wall of shame sits Bruce Lee for Xbox. I was really looking forward to this game but made sure I rented first after the reviews. Glad I did... they'll never get a good Brucie game down right!

5. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I think there should really be two seperate categories: games that are supposed to be "triple A titles" (such as Enter the Matrix and Brute Force) and games that are not (such as Prisoner of War):

1. In the triple A title genre, I was also very disappointed with "Enter the Matrix". I got to a point where I couldn't stand the bugs anymore and simply stopped playing. I was at the part where you have to protect Ice and Corrupt and the game would "end" as if I (or they) died when all three of us had at least 80% health. WTF? The game also froze up on me many, many times. The only thing I really liked about the game was the soundtrack and audio effects.

2. "Brute Force": This game had been so hyped up for so long, and all I got was an average game that was very, very repetitive and pretty darn boring. The enemy bosses were not memorable and I got sick of playing through valleys over and over again. Needless to say, if they make a sequel I won't be buying it.

3. "Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness". The only thing good about this game is the soundtrack.

As a result of these regrettable purchases (except for Tomb Raider- a friend bought it instead of me), I am going to stop purchasing $50.00 titles without reading a few reviews first. I typically read many reviews before purchasing most of my games, however, I didn't do so with these two. For example, I have no doubt that "Knights of the Old Republic" is going to be great, and I do have it on reserve at Gamestop. However, I won't actually be picking it up until I read some reviews first. I simply don't want to get burned anymore.

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

OOh, how about Turok: Evolution?

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

8. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

I am very skeptical of game reviews from magazines and certain game sites, just look at who's paying for the advertising, its hard to bite the hand that feeds you, it costs big money for full page advertising and companies like EA do wield a heavy hand at advertisers so getting a proper in-depth review may be hard to come by, its forums like this where your not scrutinized for your reviews and thoughts, if you get enough reviews on some forum I think you will have a better idea of what the games about.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To be honest, the X-Box and GameCube versions of ETM were very glitchy, while the PS2 one just had some really odd problems. I liked ETM (on PS2) enough to warrant the purchase, but I do think it was not nearly as good as it could have been and there are MUCH worse games out there.

I'm not really sure what I'd like to nominate for this. I'd nominate Zone of the Enders for not being what it was advertised as, but ZOE2 seems to have fixed all the problems and is a pretty solid title. Castlevania 64 was a mess, so they're fixing the 3-D Castlevania idea with Lament of Innocence. I'm also trying to think of games that weren't necessarily notoriously bad (Superman 64) but rather bad enough to not warrant the purchase.

10. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

All the reviews I've read, and even a recent thread here, would suggest that Unlimited Saga deserves a place on the wall. Despite the cover, and the fact that it's made by Square, I've managed to resist buying/playing it so far, so I'm not sure if I'm eligible to nominate it [​IMG].

11. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Dean,
    I see your point, however, I still think that the Hall of Shame deserves two seperate categories. To use your example, I highly doubt that anyone thought that "Bruce Lee" was intended to be as big as "Enter the Matrix" or "Tomb Raider." Therefore, when "Bruce Lee" did indeed suck (and oh does it ever), it's really not that big of a suprise since our hopes weren't that high to begin with.

However, when a game is in development for a very long time and it is expected to be a fantastic game, it better damn well deliver or come very close to it. When it doesn't, it simply more of a let down. Think of it this way: There are two movies coming out to theaters soon- "Jeepers Creepers 2" and "The Return of the King". Let's say they both suck. "Jeepers Creepers 2" is just plain horrible and "Return of the King" is nowhere near as good as the first, has techincal glitches, and many people are very let down and felt that the wait wasn't worth it. Which movie would be deemed the worst of the two? I'd say "The Return of the King" since it was SUPPOSED to be so good but wasn't. From a game perspective, look at the new "Tomb Raider". They said that they were going to totally re-vamp the series and get it back on it's feet with this new game and that it was going to basically blow people away in so many different ways. The game is horrible and there are countless reviews to quantify it's degredation. To me, this is more of a let down than "Speed Kings" because "Speed Kings" wasn't supposed to be one of the best titles of the year anyway.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

That's what makes harsh reviews all the more suprising.

-Dave

13. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

So would you people like a wall of shame with different categories, we can do it almost like the academy awards but with a difference, the difference is we are paying consumers with no affiliations to companies, who have studied the game and come up with an unbiased agreement which the majority of people can relate with and not only that we can actually scare the crap out of software companies, and something like this is taken very seriously by companies as it can affect their bottom line if it gets popular.

14. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Shall we ask the HTF people if they could give us a wall of shame or do you want to build one ????
    Deans idea of categories, 1: Total Disgrace 2: Disappointment and 3: Mediocrity sounds good to me, what does everybody else think of this.

15. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Kakuto Chojin was hyped to be really something.. especially as it was done by people from Dream Factory. It stinks.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that we should also make a wall of fame to counter the wall of shame so that we can show developers what we like and what we don't like at the same time.

17. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

People I may quit this board and move to some other forum, I seem to have a slight problem on the computer forum, go here and look at it top to bottom:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...readid=150284:
    o Does anybody know any other forums to go to before I get kicked off, I am waiting for an answer from the HTF people, but just incase, read the link over and make your owen judgment, I am all for freedom of thought.

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You're making a big deal out of nothing, Ray.

19. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

Ray,

You may not be happy with what was done, but publicly posting what you did is disrespectful, IMO. Those issues should've been addressed through private messages. I'm not saying you're wrong, but as Brian stated already, you're making a big deal out of nothing.

IMO, you should edit the message and private message the admins.

20. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer