games that i didnt like

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Sep 16, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

morgan, here it is. games under 90 that i didnt like.

aliens versus predator 2 (boring, nothing new)

Wave Race: Blue Storm (boring, frustrating control, sound is lame )

Metal Gear Solid ( PC ) ( too much talk, stupid story, dumb story, enemies who become good when they were dying, shot to the lung yet gave long speech etc etc )

tomb raider 2,3,4 ( no sense of direction, boring, nothing new )

rogue leader ( the player is punished for everything he does. exploring the level too long? game ends. use the infrared google? lower score. they kept re-doing the hoth mission )

max payne ( i hate the illustration with heavy voice, no variation between levels )

heavy metal fakk 2 ( boring level design )

jedi knight 2 ( boring, really, all you have to do is go from a to b, and sometimes when you do something, a door somewhere out there opens and you need to find it, it is like a better looking version of an fps game that has been done to death, incomparable to the venerable half life )

sin ( try to play it sometime and tell me how you feel )

alice in wonderland ( go from a to b, repeat )

i played the games to the end despite how i feel about them.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

So what /do/ you like?

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I too would like to hear Felix's top 10.

5. felix_suwarno

top 10? in no particular order

zelda- link to the past
    thunder force 3 & 4
    no one lives forever
    deus ex
    mario64
    starwars trilogy on snes
    starcraft + broodwar
    half life
    resident evil 2
    super metroid

"No kidding....why bother finishing the games if you dislike them that much? "

because i want to know the level design. sometimes i play a game not to have fun out of it, but to learn about it. when it comes to pc game i always screen-capture the game i play. for future reference.

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

8. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Any game with the word extreme in the title...bad bad bad!
    [​IMG]
    Dean

9. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

10. felix_suwarno

a few games that i played because of curiosity ( they had interesting new concept, never been done before )

commandos games, i had problems with the interface and control. baby sitting these soldiers was a pain in the ass, not to mention that one mission could take 2 to 3 hours, sometimes more. it was like a trial and error game. quick save and quick load were the most useful buttons in those games.

homeworld, somehow i didnt connect with this game. i didnt like these : you have to refill some of your ship's ammo, collecting resource takes too long, and there were a few annoying missions. once i started these missions, i realized that the game wanted me to prepare the resources i need on previous level. i ended up replaying that level again. and i always had the feeling to get all available resources in a level because i was afraid of going to the next level without enough resources. and another complaint, somehow it was hard for me to memorize what ship does what. in starcraft, you can easily differentiate between a marine, a battlecruiser and a siege tank. in homeworld, everything was starship. and both side was too similar with each other. starcraft really had spoiled me.

max payne, i read a review about how the bullet time was used in a good way. i thought it was lame and would be overused. anyway, i didnt want to say bad things about a game before playing it myself. so i tried the game. i stopped on third level, i forgot why. if i am not mistaken, it was because i took 3 courses in a quarter and all of those professors gave me nightmares with homeworks...but now i dont have any desire to continue the game. i still have it though, might try again. based on those 3 first levels, i found that the game was kinda boring. all you have to do is shoot enemies in slow motion. anyway, if you are not agree with this statement please let me know what you think is good about max payne, since there are a lot of people who like it. i really want to know why they like it. to me max payne tried his best to be a batman. he fights only at nights, and i really hate his voice. too typical and artificial. he was conceived in such a way that everybody would recognize him as a hero, because he had that voice, that facial thing, the slow motion attack, and the fact that his family was wiped out. too typical. how many times have you seen such premise in movies or games?

gran turismo 3. i have a mixed feeling about this game. there is only one thing that i didnt like. the fact that in order to finish it you need to go back to those tracks gazillion time with different cars. the developer didnt give me any other motivation to go forward. the rewards were only new cars. i mean, give me something else! a racing queen perhaps? a bad guy to beat? i know it was a racing / driving simulator, thats why even though i didnt enjoy the game to the fullest, i still think gt3 was a very good game. i like the control, i like the pretty graphics, i like the music ( i really like the soundtrack ).

btw gt3 didnt offer anything new but i hadnt had the chance to play any gt game before. i didnt have ps1.

11. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Zelda: A Link to the Past [​IMG]
    Super Metroid [​IMG] [​IMG]
    They need to make another side scrolling Metroid game. Not every game should become a first person shooter or be built on the Mario64 engine (like the newest Zelda games) just because they can.

12. felix_suwarno

they should jump to 3D because i think they have done everything on 2D plane to death. what else is left? i sure hope that 3D world offer a new element of gameplay. besides, come to think of it, what is the advantage of doing metroid in 2D, at this point?

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

First, thank you for replying to my question.

Second, I haven't read any of the replies in this thread yet, so I may say something someone else said.

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks anyway Romier, but Gameboy advance has no interest to me. IMO the graphics are still lacking and from the games I've played (very few) the control is still reminiscent of the previous gameboys.
    Felix,

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

The graphics on the GBA are nearly on-par with the SNES, home of the most recent Metroid game.

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Aren't you still limited to the tiny little screen though? I admit I am not "in the know" with Nintendo systems ever since I got bored with the 64 and traded it for a PS One.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer