Games that are keepers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Jul 10, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I have had an XBOX for about a month, this is my first console since original Nintendo. What games do you own that you would never sell/trade?

XBOX games I have played so far are:

Halo Not a keeper
    Hunter Not even close
    Ralli Sport Nope
    Oddworld Nope
    Outlaw Golf Close but too easy
    Morrowind No (many probably disagree)
    Project Gotham Racing Maybe

Don't get me wrong I love XBOX I just want some games with staying power. I was younger then but I never let go of Super Mario 3. I always tried to beat it faster or something, I want some games for new consoles that I would never sell. Perhaps the online thing will make a difference!

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Here are some "Next Gen" games I'll never get rid of:
    Halo (Sorry but I still play and love this game)
    Rez
    Super Monkey Ball
    Jet Set Radio Future/Jet Grind Radio
    Resident Evil Code Veronica
    Devil May Cry (3d Castlevania done right!)
    Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams
    Shenmue 1 and 2
    Space Channel 5
    These are some recent games that I really enjoy and won't let go of. Older titles I wont bother with cause it this will end up being a three page post[​IMG].
    If you want X-box specific games I wont sell, well I currently own *goes to count and rushes back* 13 X-box titles and I wouldn't get rid of any of them for the reason below.
    PS. I *NEVER* sell or trade in games that I buy unless A. They do not hold my attention b. They are flat out crap. I've learned my lesson over the years to never get rid of something you like. You'll be kicking yourself in the long run..

3. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Hey James, it isn't smart $$$ wise to trade in your games at all. At least sell them on ebay to get the most value. Otherwise you are giving EB 100% profit and the developer 0%.
    As for your non-keepers:
    These are just my suggestions formed from my opinion, i'm not trying to argue with you(well maybe a little)

Outlaw Golf - yeah it's kind of difficult but it is the only golf game currently on the system. There is stuff on hear you won't find in other golf games B to B-

Hunter - Trading this in isn't a bad idea, it has a lot of problems. it is good for multiplayerC to B- if 2p+

Rallisport - This is a great rally game, amazing graphics in sound. There isn't another rally game like it(WRC is close)A-

Oddworld - May not fit your style, but this is a really cheap good game with a unique personality - B

Project Gotham Racing - I would defenitely hold on to this. A very hard and deep game, you will always complete something one week you couldn't do before
    A

Morrowind - If you don't like it, then get rid of it. But there are a ton of stuff to do and it will last you a long time IF you like it. B

HALO - You got to hold on to HALO, it is leagues ahead anything released on the consoles. Play some of the multiplayer with 4 players or start a campaign on heroic and legendary and a whole new game is revealedA+

All I'm saying is that yes, X-box has other games out, but I wouldn''t get rid of oddworld, rallisport, halo, pgr, they are some of the best out for the system
    oh yeah make sure you are hooked up to 5.1 and you may think differently about halo

I'd keep:
    Halo
    NFL Blitz 20-02
    NHL Hitz 20-02
    PGR
    JSRF
    DOA3
    PS1:
    Square RPG's - Xenogears, FF7, Front Mission 3, Anthology aren't going anywhere
    Syphon Filters, Oddworlds,

X-box games for james:
    here are some recommendations if you don't like the games you mentioned:
    Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, JSRF, Moto GP, Fusion Frenzy, TH2X
    Any game that doesn't age well are more likely to go quicker, like sport or other types, but nowadays those aren't aging as fast as they used to be(how different will madden 05' be from 03'...my bets not much)

4. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I can't spell it is that simple, please don't hold it against me.

I curently have PGR and Outlaw. I traded Morrowind for PGR and traded Halo of Outlaw Golf. I got excellent trades, basically got to play/own four games for the price of two.

As I said I think PGR is a keeper.

Outlaw golf I find too easy not too difficult. I don't even use the best equipment and I totally over power the course all but one par 5 in two, par is a bad score everything should be birdie or better. Putting is a joke, even from the fringe. Maybe if it had a league or something like NES golf (original Nintendo).

Does anyone remember Solar Jetman for Nintendo, or Metroid, I loved Unreal for PC, I like War Craft and games like that, the original final fantasy is one of the best games I ever played. Even Sim City kept me going for a long time. Oddworld and games of the sort are far to simple and easy to beat. It has to be hard or different each time you play. Doesn't anyone agree? Of course Halo mostly fits this bill but I guess I am just bored of FPS.
    What about a game that challenges a players problem solving skills, creativity and intellegence?

And another question around here high speed ISPs are starting to charge for/limit the amount you download. If I use my ISP for my XBOX (to connect to the XBOX network aren't I going to pay through the nose for over use, cause you know I will get addicted?

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

You gotta try Moto GP!
    It is intimidating at first but is great once youve got a grip on it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I cannot imagine anyone who has ever been to a Halo party (with at least eight participants) ever selling this game. Single player Halo rules, multiplayer is even better (Co-op is also great).
    It is frightening to see someones list of rejects which consists of many games that I think are great (Halo, JSRF, Morrowind, Ralisport Challenge, Oddworld, PGR (MSG have this on my DC). I don't think I will be relying on your reviews to influence my gaming purchases. [​IMG]
    Chris

8. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I guess I am different than the norm when it comes to gaming, no surprise sees to be that way for me in many areas. The idea of Oddworld (basically each level is a problem to solve, with some cute graphics) is a good one, I just think it is too easy. Really I think of it as a kids game. I don't know I just expect more from developers these days, maybe I shouldn't, but for the price of games these days I don't want to master the game in 2 weeks and then have no new challenge.

Scott, all try Moto GP. Although I did almost get killed in a bike crash two years back. The crashed rivaled anything you can see in a game, I should never have lived let alone recover completely. But hey doing it in a game could be more fun.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'm just doing my PS2 games here in the interest of time:

Keepers:
    GTA3
    NFL2002
    All Star Baseball 2003
    THPS3
    MOHF
    Max Payne
    Twisted Metal: Black

Expendable:
    Half-Life (never able to get into it)
    State of Emergency (fun for awhile)
    MGS2
    NFL2K2
    Jak and Daxter (great game, but no replay value)
    Devil May Cry (see above)

10. Andrew_Cramlet

I agree with Christopher, HALO is a keeper if you have friends who play videogames. Multiplayer rules. Period.
    But the one game that I didn't see mentioned (I'll admit I just skimmed the thread) is Tony Hawk. THPS3 is the king of keeper games. Everyone I know loves this game and can play it for hours at a time - single or multiplayer. Once you beat the game, you just want to jump right in with another character and do it all over again.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Here are two things that will keep HALO in my video game library FOREVER...
    1. Co-op Legendary mode (nothing is better for male bonding)
    2. 4-player Capture the Flag on the Sidewinder map [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I NEVER get rid of any games, no matter how crappy. I like the nostalgia, plus I can justify getting rid of them.

13. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I get rid of most of my games when I am done with them. I do not get sentimentally attached to them.

The ones I get rid of first are Sports games (when the sequels come out, I almost always get them). I also will get rid of most any game that has a sequel, if the sequel gets better reviews.

I just don't have the seeming infinite amounts of time to play games that some people have. What time I do have I want to maximize it by playing the best games possible. I usually only buy AAA titles, anyway. There are a few exceptions to that rule, but not many.

14. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Multiplay has a lot to do with a game being a keeper for me.

Keepers-
    Halo (multiplayer frickin' Rocks!!)
    JSRF (Just a wonderfully designed game)
    PGR (challenging and deep + see halo comment)

Trades-
    Oddworld (played three times, straight, perfect quarma, & black quarma, but not much re-playability after that)
    Rallisport (enjoyed the hell out of single player, but it's difficult for folks who don't have a box for practice to be competetive in multiplayer)
    DOA3 (just not my genre)

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

16. Romier S

Romier S Producer

17. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I used to sell of entire systems and games after new ones came out. The last game to leave my saturn collection was panzer dragoon saga (One member of this forum is/ was pretty happy about it [​IMG] ). I can't really say i regret it at this point, as i played through it so many times. Hopefully it will someday be re-released, or perhaps even recieve a sequel.
    However, even though i did part with that game, all my dreamcast and Xbox games (and systems- of course) ain't going anywhere. Way too much money invested in the collection(s) for me to even consider it. Not exactly easy to find a dreamcast these days........

18. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

LOL Romier.

I just don't sell or trade my games usually - I also follow Romier's formula for game keeping.

And I'll vote also that Halo is a must keep, if only for the multiplayer aspect. (though I love the single player mode!)

Calvin