Games that allow you to play own music cds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Does anybody know of pc games that allow you to put your own audio cd in and listen to the songs while playing? I know of only one - Need for Speed 4 High Stakes.

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Both games in the Midtown Madness series do this if memory serves. Generally though, you can use my technique for listening to music in Quake and Counter-Strike, which is just to run the game with a disc in the drive and use the console commands to play tracks. Oftentimes the simple act of running the game with a different audio cd will get you the music.
    p.s. I know that listening to music in online games is dumb, but hey, who said I was any good?

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Dark Reign 2 actually had a built in media player of sorts that allowed you to play your own CDs, or MP3s.
    ------------------

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmmm, I really wish consoles had 2 disc drives for this very reason. Or at least a link-up connection (ie- Sony Link or JVC link) so you can control a seperate CD player from menu commands in your game.
    That really sounds like fun. [​IMG]

5. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Of course listening to the music has to jive with the actual game. I mean listening to rap while playing rayman 2 sounds stupid but maybe while playing Max Payne would add to the ambience. Italian opera would suit nicely too. I found that playing NFS4 while listening to the soundtracks of "Fast and Furious" and "Driven" was a rush.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Actually, my first experience of CD switching was when I discovered that very few racing games can't be improved immensely by replacing their soundtracks with the one from the Playstation version of wipEout 2097. Underworld's Tin There and their remix of the Chems' Leave Home are just dangerously fast driving music.

7. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

The Sims lets you drop collections of audio files in the game's audio directories, and then when you purchase a stereo for your sim home, you can play those different collections by choosing different "radio stations" on the stereo. The geek/fun factor is pretty high on that one.
    ------------------
    www.kilroyinteractive.com

8. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Tony Hawk Proskater (demo version) allowed me to play audio files from my napster media player while playing the game. I first loaded the audio files then opened the game. I'm not sure if the real version can do this too.