Stunt Coordinator
PS2-Shinobi

Xbox-Gun Valkyrie

GameCube-Super Mario Sunshine

GameBoy Advance-Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance

PC-Icewind Dale 2

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Interesting, a Rez fan. A while back, I picked up something that seriously enhances the whole Rez experience. It's basically a vibrating massage chair pad, but with a twist. There is a port that lets you plug it in between the PS2 and the controller, and it vibrates in tune with the dual shock.

I picked it up at a KB Toys outlet store for $10.

Edit: Just remembered....I know Ace Combat 4 came out last year, but it still deserves an award for something since no other flight game has been able to surpass it. How about...GREATEST HITS GOTY!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No game this year came close to equalling the irreplaceable experience that REZ brought to my home.
You know what beats it? The Dreamcast version in 480p. :)
As far as 'Game of the Year', since such a title would have to have mainsteam success, I'll go for Metroid Prime. As far as story-oriented first-person games goes, it is inferior to a much older game (Half-Life). But, it is the best console first-person title yet, largely due to the excellent user interface. I'd love to see a lot more of this and less 'freelook with the thumbpad like it is a mouse' titles. It's also very pretty, and the level design is nice.
...but if dollars in the cash register wasn't needed for a game to receive such a reward, I'd definitely take 'Jet Set Radio Future' over the rest of the field.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
You know what beats it? The Dreamcast version in 480p.
I have it and believe me I'm well aware:). However it didn't come out this year (whereas the PS2 version did. If I remember correctly the DC version came out last Nov/Dec) so I can't put it as my game of the year.;)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
REZ was released in January 2002 in Europe, I thought... Wouldn't it count because of that? :)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Considering I have yet to play Metroid. My Game of the Year will have to be:
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
I had a really enjoyable time playing SMS, it does not beat out SM64 but it sure as hell is up there.
As for runner up, I would like to give Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GC) my vote (although I would have honestly liked to rank it GotY).
I know there is some controversy over Ed Boon's (creator) "lazyness" as to how many features were talked about in the game and how many of them actually made it in (ie: Stage fatalities, noticeable early MK references,etc) and his lack of creativity for the hidden characters (known as of now). But, as a true MK fan, I still have hope for things later being discovered; hence; an MK game :).
If I owned a PS2, I am sure Contra would have fit in here somewhere because when I was "little" I loved playing Contra III. As for XBOX, (which I may purchase one just for Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon) I probobly would have some decisions to make with Splinter Cell in the mix.
Now next year is another story.... February-3-2003.
The day all competition blows up.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Did you actually find that in the U.S.? Did you know that is is somewhat infamous now? (link NSFW).
The thing I have is actually a giant foam pad that you lay over a chair, it has about 8 motors in it.

I find it interesting that so many people pick Metroid Prime. It might have been my pick as well, but it slipped down to around 4th when I examined a bit closer.

Just to play devil's advocate: are we so caught up in how well Metroid made the transition from 2-D to 3-D that we aren't stopping to consider whether or not the core Metroid gameplay elements it imitates are actually the ideal game design?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
are we so caught up in how well Metroid made the transition from 2-D to 3-D that we aren't stopping to consider whether or not the core Metroid gameplay elements it imitates are actually the ideal game design?
Good question James and one that I think would be best posed in its own separate thread so we dont move this thread off its topic of discussion (which is after all peoples choice for Game of the Year). Dont want to be mini-moderator here or anything just want to preserve the discussion at hand.(Especially being that the question you posed is so open to a great many opinions and debates).
However I think you you should ask that question in the official Metroid thread or start a whole new topic on it. Its a discussion I'd love to partake in:D.

John Bryant

Second Unit
NCAA Football 2003

Runners Up:
Hot Shots Golf 3
NFL 2K3

I have not gotten Splinter Cell yet, or NHL 2K3. These two could change the list dramatically.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I love a good bandwagon: Metroid Prime has got to be GOTY. Here's my list:

1. Metroid Prime (GC)
2. NCAA Football 2003 (PS2)
3. Eternal Darkenss (GC)

I have yet to play MechAssault on-line, but that's going to be near the top. I am very glad to see so few of us ranking GTA: VC up at the top--what an over-rated game IMHO.

My biggest prayer right now is that Zelda and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic live up to their expectations for 2003.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
After playing a lot of Splinter Cell this weekend, I'm giving it my GotY, hands down. I'm also giving it my BGSH (Best Game Since Halo).

-Dave

Gary King

Second Unit
Now that I've gotten Xbox Live, I think MechAssault is going to replace JSRF as my choice for Xbox GotY.

And Metroid Prime is my choice for overall Game of the Year.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
My (XBox only, since that's all I own) nominations are:
GOTY: Splinter Cell (I'm growing to think this is better than Halo. Blasphemy, I know.)
runners up: Unreal Championship (it's a lot of fun on Live!), Morrowind, Hitman 2
Underrated: Jet Set Radio Future and Rallisport Challenge
Best cross-platform or port: Hitman 2 (Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance was a close 2nd)
Best Sport: NFL2K3
Where in the heck did that come from? : Deathrow
Overrated: Dead To Rights
Best Visuals: Splinter Cell, hands down.
Best Audio: Hitman 2 (I dig the operatic music.)
Best Gameplay: Splinter Cell
Best Game Idea: Blinx: Timesweeper
Best Bang for your Buck: Tie between Morrowind and XBox Live. Expect your life to fritter away.
Best console feature: XBox Live
Best game moment: Splinter Cell - Striking a police officer on the other side of the door in the foot with the optic cable by mistake. :laugh:
Biggest letdown: Tie - Toejam & Earl III, The Thing & No Halo 1.5 for XBox Live
Funniest game: Outlaw Golf
Dumbest mini-games: Dead to Rights
The "I can't beat this last level, ARGH!" game: Hunter: The Reckoning
Coolest character despite the constipated face: Max Payne
Most anticipated game of 2003: What do you think? ;)
Game with the most buzz that makes me want to try: Steel Battalion
Game the bomb squad wouldn't touch: Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Wow, it's gonna be hard for me to make a GOTY list, but let's see...
1. Metroid Prime - This was a hard decision because I think Splinter Cell is a fantastic game and I'm currently enjoying it more than MP. But the sheer fact that Retro got the whole idea of Metroid in a first-person game is astounding to me. I had doubts they'd do it, but they succeeded and surpassed all my expectations.
2. Spinter Cell - Easily the best game on Xbox since Halo IMO. Proof that great graphics, great gameplay and great storytelling can go hand in hand.
Now I figure I should go with a personal favrite of mine for 3rd place, so I'm choosing:
Deathrow - Completely caught me off guard, and after reading so many great reviews of the game from other game players, I had to pick it up. It is one of the most intense and rewarding game experiences I've ever had. Great gameplay and great graphics from a game that noone expected anything from.
I should also give honorable mentions to:
MechAssault
NHL2K3
Eternal Darkness
Animal Crossing
Mortal Kombat : Deadly Alliance

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow, I don't think I could even choose one game that was the best this year, although hands down, no questions asked, this is the best year for gaming overall that I have ever seen in my life. I feel like I have been neglecting my chores and family because there is just one great title after another rolling out. I can't possibly pick one, but here are the games that obsesses me this year (no GC titles because I don't have a GC!)

Splinter Cell
MechAssault
Mark of Kri
Deathrow
JSRF
Outlaw Golf
DDR Max
So many more...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
although hands down, no questions asked, this is the best year for gaming overall that I have ever seen in my life.
Last year was better:p)
I don't know why but there is just something so damn appealing about two console lauches and the SLEW of titles that were released for the PS2. Not too mention the launch titles for the two consoles as well. Don't mind me, I'm waxing nostalgiac.:D
Though, no questions asked, this has been a great year for gaming for some reason I'm a tad more fond of last year myself. Purely my opinion though Joe.
Yeah I know I'm insane for saying that with all of the games that have been released but I guess fond memories have a way of taking sway....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks