Games for old Guy with Old Computer

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by alan halvorson, Jun 25, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, not that old, but definitely an old PC. Currently it's a Pentium III 450M running Windows 2000. I will be upgrading whenever my brother gets around to building a new PC for me.

I've never been much of a gamer but I did like slower games like Myst and Riven now and again. I don't believe these games are qualified to run on Windows 2000 and I no longer have the games in my possession to find out. Are there similar games that will? Or perhaps others that an old guy with no reaction time might enjoy?

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Have you ever tried the adventure games from LucasArts? They don't rely on fast reflexes, and provide great stories with great characters. And most of them were running on DOS, so you're machine is definitely not too slow.

Ah, but will it run on W2k, you say? That's the beauty of ScummVM, which allows you to just take the data files of these old games and run them on pretty much any current system.

If you've never tried one of these, I'd recommend the "Monkey Island" series.

-Christian

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Ooh, or 'Sam & Max Hit the Road.' [​IMG] Puzzly with lots of humor.

4. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

King's Quest 7

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i think the minimum specs may be a PIII 500, but i would suggest trying black and white.

CJ

6. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

There are plenty of relatively recent games that you might like: Sims, Civilization 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon are slower paced games that I can think of off the top of my head, all requiring less than a 400Mhz PC.

7. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

Check out The Longest Journey. One of the best adventure games ever made, will run on older equipment and runs on XP without issue also... and can be picked up in stores for a cool 10 bucks. [​IMG]

I also suggest heading over to www.gamerankings.com and checking out some of the top rated games. They list the year of release right in the game listings, which will help you narrow your search as you can look for stuff that's a few years old. And most of the top rated games are, in fact, a few years old anyway. Plus you can sort to whatever game type you like... worth a look.