Games bring out the beast in me!!!! How bout you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I swear, sometimes, like now for instance, I could just put my foot right through my fricken screen! [​IMG]
    I'm on my second round of 'Medal of Honor' for PS2 after beating it on the easy mode, now i'm working on the normal mode and i'm all the way up to that !@#$%& bridge. Every level this second time, has been a breeze, but that !@#$%^ bridge! [​IMG] I've tried it three times now, and I always get nailed RIGHT AT THE END OF THE LEVEL!!!!!!! If I have to see that fade out, than back to the beginning screen one more time, somethings gonna get broken.
    I've got my guy 'Patterson' running around like a jackass and all the while i'm yelling "Where the HELL are the medical pick ups!?" They're never around at the most critical times! And how exactly am I expected to kill three Germans on an open bridge WITH NO PLACE TO TAKE COVER!! I have always sucked at the melee, they always end up hitting me first and getting punched takes a WHOLE BUNCH of your health away. And forget trying to take em out with that machine gun you have, you can't hit the broad side of a barn with that damn thing! Sniper rifle, my weapon of choice, is useless at this point, sure I still have rounds left, but again I need to stand in one spot. Why don't they give you a shotgun here!? I've got my silenced pistol, but again...
    I'm not going to try it again for a day or two, I want to give myself a chance to calm down.
    Games bring out the worst in people sometimes, I never lose my temper as badly as I do when I lose at a game. I guess I should just come out and say it...I HATE TO LOSE!
    Don't mind me fellas. I'm just venting. Hey, it was either this, or a broken screen! [​IMG]

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

LOL My cousin was much more anger-prone than I ever was, but it was funny to watch his controllers deteriorate in condition as more and more bite marks mysteriously appeared along their length [​IMG]

5. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    [​IMG] I knew their had to be a reason they were making controllers more streamlined and aerodynamic...so kids could get a good speed going when they threw them! [​IMG]
    It's the worst phenominon. Games can turn an ordinarily nice guy, into a raving lunitic! Like Dean, I too have a tendancy to spout obsenities at the screen while playing. Like when i'm playing 'MOH', I get so deeply into it that I ACTUALLY begin to genuinly HATE my enemies, like I was a REAL soldier, fighting a REAL war! If i'm killed by a certain guy at a certain spot, i'll remember him and take vengeance on him when I start over all the while screaming "Take THAT you dirty son of a bitch!!" Hell, I got a nosebleed once from playing 'Contra' back in the day because I was so worked up.
    A good friend of mine who shall remain nameless, for our purposes here let's just call him "Jerry" shall we [​IMG], he threw his controller just recently, luckily he had the sense at the last moment to "aim low" and didn't hit his speaker or 61" screen. [​IMG]
    I guarentee you that if Dr. David Banner was a gamer, he'd turn into the Hulk like, all the time! [​IMG]

6. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I don't really get too mad at games anymore (if I do get that frustrated, I just switch the game off and give it awhile before I try again [​IMG]), but when I was a kid I used to go crazy. Arcade managers used to yell at me a lot for beating the crap out of the machines when I died (I was too young to realize that arcade games are supposed to have extreme difficulty in order to make you cough up more money), and I'm still amazed that my Colecovision never completely broke down after the number of times I pounded my fist right into the console. The games would crash, sure, but it always worked the next time I turned it on. That system had some sturdy craftsmanship, I guess [​IMG]

7. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I had to restart the Legend of Zelda on the NES about 8 times because I'd get so frickin pissed and slam my fist over the top of the console. Eventually after suffering through Double Dragon, my NES took a two story fall out of my buddy's parents cottage window. That was fun!
    We also used to try and snap the game cartridges open, but the little piece of metal in there would always bust up our fingers pretty good. [​IMG]

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My brother can get easily irritated by just about anything, and videogames seem to do the trick a LOT easier. You should have seen him playing Silent Hill 2 when he got stuck in the Hotel...

I've been playing games since I was in kindergarten, so I'm used to them. I can get irritated by them, but I usually just turn the game off and go do something else for a while. I've yet to throw a controller or break something.

9. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Getting shafted, especially in sports games, by cheap AI, and problems with satelitte reception and internet connections make me like the guy in the HULK trailer. I once kicked a hole through the basement wall when I couldn't connect.

10. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

we have a running joke here at work..at all of the different names for the times that we went into "bezerker mode" as we call it.

lets see, heres a few:

- the "ice-tray" method:
    twisting both ends of a controller in opposite directions, as if trying to get ice cbes outta a ice tray

- the "throw the game out the window/door" method:
    this one speaks for it self

- the "slam the hell outta the game tray on an NES" method:
    gotta love when your real far in a game, and all the sudden tons of code would just appear on the screen, and all you hear is the "keeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" noise. thats when you reset, and repeatedly bounce the game in and out of the little toggle slot that the games go in on an NES.

- my favorite, the "insert closest food into game cartridge" method:
    i actually slopped mustard into a copy of LifeForce for Nintendo, then proceeded to perform the "throw the game out the window" method.

- "punch the screen" method:
    this only works with old Tube based TVs, as doing so with a BigScreen nowadays could cause problems. Street Fighter 2 always brought this on for me...

- the more recent "bite the controller" method
    my brother laughs every time he checks my PS2 controller to see if he got the controller with the tooth mark. Midnight Club caused this, with the london police level (where the entire level is full of cop cars, and you have like 10 secs to get past the entire level)

i cant think of any more right now, anyone else have any favorites?

11. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

For the first time in my gaming life (over 22 years since first playing "pong") only a few months ago I smashed a controller. 2 player NBA Street. I'd lost like 5 in a row, and it was always because of $#&*$ Dirk Nowitzki hitting a "3" to win the game. Gaaaah!

12. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    The only time I actually smashed a controller was my Apple II+ controller and, 2 controllers from my Amiga 3000.
    I can't remember what the hell pissed me off with the Apple since, it was SO damn long ago but, I took it into my dads tool room, sat it on the table and grabbed the sledgehammer. That sucker disintegrated into lots of little pieces! [​IMG]
    Does anyone remember/played 4-D Boxing? It was an early polygonal style boxing game. The champ...forget it, the 2nd ranked guy was do-able but, damn hard. He beat me one time that was so blantantly cheating that I smashed the controller. Immediatly I went out an bought a brand new one, came home, plugged it in, fired up 4d Boxing, lost to that asshole again and, smashed that one right then and there too. [​IMG]
    ...nothing like being a "responsible" adult. [​IMG]

13. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

haha! I remember that game!!

anyone remember OMF 2047, or One Must Fall 2047. That game was actually pretty cool, but boy did it piss me off too!!

14. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

15. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Most of my frustration was caused in Ninja Gaiden on NES. That was one of the most painful games I'd ever played. I don't think I've ever used the "throw the system out the window/door" method, but I am familiar with the "throw the controller down" method and the "punching a hole in the wall" method. I actually have an imprint on one of my bedroom walls from getting angry and frustrated at a game.
    I remember I used to get mad and cursed like a "Tarantino Film" very often. One of my most painful frustrations was while playing Crystalis in the Sahara level. Another favorite frustrating level on Crystalis was the snow mountain level. Man, that game was frustrating. But fun! Slalom was a game I hated but still played for some reason or another. Double Dragon was also equally frustrating.
    We should have an HTF old video game tournament -- see how high we can get our scores to on old video games. Anyone up for Street Fighter 2? [​IMG]

16. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Ring Kings for the NES was another game that just made me so damn irate. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

17. Craig A

Craig A Stunt Coordinator

This link my shed some light on this phenomenon [​IMG]
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z27412E31

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

What kind of freaks are you people?[​IMG]

19. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

my wife gets pissed at me when i lose it, she wonders why i play these damn things if i get so mad at them.. come to think of it WHY DO I?!?!?!?!?! [​IMG]

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer