Gamera The Invincible - any widescreen versions?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I am looking for a decent DVD W I D E C R E E N version of Gamera the Invincible. Can anyone suggest where to find one? It was a widescreen release but have only seen a Japanese release, a DVD-R version, and the rest are Pan & Scam.

2. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

There is no widescreen release on DVD other than the Japanese version, which is expensive, but has english subtitles.

Japanese Gamera DVD

There was an USA LD and VHS of this a few years back, but you know...VHS. Eck.

3. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Circa 1996-97, Synapse Films released a licensed, widescreen LD of the film, in Japanese with English subtitles, under the title GIANT MONSTER GAMERA (1965). It was the Japanese theatrical version, so it didn't have the inserted scenes of Brian Donlevy and Albert Dekker as arguing pundits, nor the "Gamm-rahhh! *twang-twang-twang-twang* Gamm-rahhh! *twang-twang-twang-twang*" theme tune that were added to NTA's dubbed import version, GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE, which is how many of us old farts remember the film in theaters and on local tv, prior to Sandy Frank taking possession of the property in the 1980s.

Around the same time as Synapse's LD, a small stateside VHS outfit, Neptune Films, released legit tapes of GAMERA (1965), as well as a couple of other 1960s Gamera flicks (like GAMERA VS. GUIRON (1969)), in widescreen and in alternate subbed and dubbed editions. I believe Neptune went out of business not long afterward, and the license with Daiei must've lapsed, or else Synapse would've released GIANT MONSTER GAMERA on DVD by now, I'm sure.

Still, it's odd that no one in R1 (such as ADV Films or Media-Blasters) has picked up the rights and released any of the 1960s films in widescreen on legit DVD, especially with all three of the 1990s GAMERA flicks getting the treatment years ago. Maybe Sandy Frank is being a fly in the ointment, or Daiei is asking for too much money for the DVD rights, or both.

4. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Meanwhile, "PD" discs of the crappy cropped 16mm released-directly-to-'60s-television versions continue to propagate everywhere...I'd love to see widescreen versions with Japanes subtitles and the original English dubs from the TV versions slapped on as an option.