Pre-Order Gamera: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
264411_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
$180? Just how many films is that?
According to the Amazon listing, it's 12 movies on 8 discs.

Here's Amazon's listing:

The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone s favourite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray boxset. This limited edition collectors set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the friend of all children in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.

• Limited collectors edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank

• All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition, with lossless Japanese and English audio 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy (Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris)

• Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew, and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)

• Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh

• Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!

FINAL SPECS TO BE CONFIRMED SOON

Last edited:

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
....and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)

It's about time a decent transfer turned up (although for what it is, the DVD release from Diamond Entertainment from a 16mm wasn't bad)- I had heard a negative or a nice 35mm print actually existed of the U.S. Version but for whatever reason they could never get access to it, or rights issues,or something like that.

Reactions: Radioman970

dana martin

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
According to the Amazon listing, it's 12 movies on 8 discs. Shout Factory titles don't tend to get big discounts (20% is probably the best you can hope for before the release) so I Imagine this one will be around $150 but that's under $13 a movie.

Here's Amazon's listing:
Not a Shout Factory title, it's a complete deluxe set coming from Arrow, and from arrows Facebook, tomorrow you might want to take alook.

Reactions: TravisR

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
....and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)
I will buy the set just for that! I always had the old widescreen VHS release and was disappointed it wasn't included before because the newly shot scenes for the Alaska sequence with Dick O'Neill (later in "Taking Of Pelham One Two Three") are a million times better than the ones in the original with the amateur "Americans". (I once did a re-edit splicing in those scenes but not the rest of the US cut into the Japanese original).

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Not a Shout Factory title, it's a complete deluxe set coming from Arrow, and from arrows Facebook, tomorrow you might want to take alook.
Duh on my part. I just assumed it was a Shout title since they had the rights for the MST3K episodes. I edited my post to remove the incorrect info but the rest should be good though.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
So street price under $100 at some point seems likely since it seems most Arrow drop to around 65-75% List Price by release and if it hangs around longer 40-50+% discounts become pretty common during sales. I'm not sure at this price it's likely to sell out quickly.

Once the LE sells out, I'd think a re-release of just the movies without the 2 books would almost be a given though always hard to outguess exactly how long that will take

Best current price for the US set seems to be $120 shipped and that's before any of the ALLIANCE retailers have a chance at it.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have 13 on DVD, I wonder which one they missed, not that I am going to buy this box set. Just looked at my list, it could be the American version where they spell his name with two "Ms"...GAMMERA THE INVINCIBLE.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

It's about time a decent transfer turned up (although for what it is, the DVD release from Diamond Entertainment from a 16mm wasn't bad)- I had heard a negative or a nice 35mm print actually existed of the U.S. Version but for whatever reason they could never get access to it, or rights issues,or something like that.
There's a bit of a history here. The negative and fine-grain of Gammera The Invincible are at the UCLA Film & TV archive, and were used for the 1999 letterboxed VHS release from Neptune Media. When Shout! Factory released the Gamera series on DVD a little over a decade ago, they tried to gain access to the elements, but, according to Shout, UCLA wanted an access fee Shout was unwilling to pay. Hopefully, as Arrow has released several titles using materials at UCLA, they're able to get access to Gammera's elements. There's an HD streaming version of Gammera on Amazon from Legend Films that uses a collector's 35mm release print, but it's missing footage.

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
There's a bit of a history here. The negative and fine-grain of Gammera The Invincible are at the UCLA Film & TV archive, and were used for the 1999 letterboxed VHS release from Neptune Media. When Shout! Factory released the Gamera series on DVD a little over a decade ago, they tried to gain access to the elements, but, according to Shout, UCLA wanted an access fee Shout was unwilling to pay. Hopefully, as Arrow has released several titles using materials at UCLA, they're able to get access to Gammera's elements. There's an HD streaming version of Gammera on Amazon from Legend Films that uses a collector's 35mm release print, but it's missing footage.
I thought it might have been UCLA that held the elements.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lozovoz