What's new

Gamecube video very dark (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I've got my TV calibrated to Video Essentials and when I play the Gamecube, the video is extremely dark. I have to crank up the brightness quite a bit before I can make out the picture details. This hasn't happened with ANY previous game console. Is there a way to adjust black level in the Gamecube?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
that's odd. Does your TV keep separate calibration levels for different inputs?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
No, my TV only has a master calibration setup. It won't allow me to store different settings on video inputs.

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Same problem here. Spent an inordinate amount of time trying to blow up the Death Star because I couldn't see any tie fighters or the crossbars in the trench. Fortunately, my Wega supports multiple "modes", so I'm playing in "Sports" mode with the picture and brightness cranked up. More than a little worried about possible damage though--any issues with extended play sessions?

Kevin

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Why would you worry about burn in on a Tube TV let alone a Sony? They are a tank. My mom has a 27" trinitron that is about 8 years old, and it's been through almost EVERY console and the picture still looks great.

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to hear I don't need to worrry:) Guess I was just a little paranoid after all of the warnings on VE about damaging the set with the settings too high.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also remember that not every video device has the same video settings. What may be calibrated for your DVD may be too bright for cable, or too dark for GameCube. That's why Sonys are great with their multiple settings. Set Movie to your VE/AVIA settings, and use Sports(Vivid) to play your GCN. Use Normal for Cable or whatever. Good luck!

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I actually used Video Essentials to calibrate all four settings on my Vega... I know, the sources would be different, but it actually worked out really nice. I use Standard for Cable, Movie for DVD's, Sports for ahhhh Sports :) and Vivid for Video Games. Every system I have hooked up to my Vega lookes great under Vivid (N64, DC, and GC). Any other setting and it's too dark.

Chad Beaudin

Agent
I know this is a GC thread but I am having the same problem with my x-box. I have to play Halo in my master beadroom with all the lights off and the blinds closed. My family room with the HT is way too bright. I will have to try turning up the brightness. Just glad to hear that it is not just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks