What's new

Gamecube to be released EARLY? (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...
What if Nintendo released the Gamecube early? Do you think they will?
If you look at the clues, there is a good possibility that this could happen.
  • Gamecubes are already here
Last week, http://www.nintendojo.com/index.php
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!
[Edited last by Cameron Seaman on October 26, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I hope the GameCube arrives early.
GameCube is prepared to arrive early.
I'm crossing my fingers for 11/7.
Man would I be happy!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Bestbuy.com billed my card last night for the 'Cube I ordered 2 weeks ago.
Update: of those of you who also preordered from bestbuy.com could you check and see if you have been billed yet, and let us know (along with which color you chose)?
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 26, 2001 at 01:23 PM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo won't let them loose early, they are still missing 350,000 Black consoles. Remember when Sega released the Saturn early???? remember how bad that was, I doubt Nintendo will release them early. They had GBAs and games for a while, but they still didn't release it until the scheduled date. Another thing is look at the launch titles that aren't done.....man those 3rd party developers would be pissed if N launched now.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
It could happen, but I doubt it. This is really interesting because some games for the Xbox are getting released early too, Halo for example will be in stores Oct 30th. I'm also already seeing posts in the gaming forums that have pictures of the accessories already arriving at peoples homes. Its nice that these things are getting released early so we don't have to scramble to get them on launch day, but I find it interesting that both companies are doing this. Great step in the right direction but I'm sure I'll have a much more difficult time waiting for the launch day when I have the games and accessories taunting me.
biggrin.gif

Dean

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Another thing is look at the launch titles that aren't done.....man those 3rd party developers would be pissed if N launched now.
Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II and Super Monkey Ball are being released early. Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race are ready. I'm sure if Nintendo has planned in advane to sneak attack with an early launch, that they may have even more first party software ready. I'd be willing to wait another week or two for more software if I could have Wave Race and my Cube now.
------------------
campic07.jpg

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Metal Gear Solid 2 is complete, yet Konami hasn't released it yet. Why would they wait a month to do so? Because thats the way it works.
Thinking the GCN will come out early is just wishful thinking. They have the consoles in America, but not in stock at stores. There is a difference.
I got Tekken Tag Tournament for PS2 over a week before the PS2 was released, but that didn't come out early.
GBA wasn't released on the date. Nintendo floated around the date and let retailers release it when they wanted to as long as it was close enough. Some stores released it around 3 days early, but it wasn't a big deal.
Stores should have their full GCN shipments a week or so before launch, if not a little less than a week. Some will release it early, but it won't be an official launch.
First party games are always released with the console. Third party games just need approval from Nintendo. Rogue Leader could have come out in August if it was done.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Saturn launch was four months early and locked out mass-market electronics retailers, department stores, and independently owned game stores. There is no comparison between that and Nintendo simply releasing what they have a couple of weeks early.
Early launches not withstanding, how are the mom-and-pop stores doing these days? Are they getting hardware allocations for launches? Or is 99% of the hardware going to Sears/Penny's/WalMart/Sams/Fry's/SamGoody/
Tweeter/Costco/Target/BestBuy/CircuitCity and the national toy and game chains?
[Ed.: OAR changed to MAR. Gotta fit the screen better!
biggrin.gif
]

[Edited last by Mike Voigt on October 28, 2001 at 09:25 AM]

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Stores should have their full GCN shipments a week or so before launch, if not a little less than a week. Some will release it early, but it won't be an official launch.
If Nintendo hasn't already planned to release early, I'm hoping that as November 15 comes around and X-Box is about to be released, Nintendo sends out a memo, e-mail, notice, or whatever they have to do, and let retailers go ahead and sell those Gamecubes they just received a few days earlier.
------------------
campic07.jpg

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
A bud if mine owns one of the top 5 independant stores in the US and he is also Nintendo Direct, and the big N say don't expect them until the 13th, according to my friend. Again they only have HALF of their consoles over here. Also they only have a few games complete and off to manufactoring, sure more will be coming soon, but not the entire launch lineup. There has been talk of Nintendo letting retailers go a head and release them on the 15th, but I think its a store to store choice and i don't think very many stores are ready to launch 2 major consoles on the same day. Hell I know my local Software, Etc boggled the Dreamacast launch so bad my girlfriend got everything she preordered plus 2 extra games and an extra $64.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If anything, Nintendo will make larger retailers (like Toys R Us) release the GCN on its launch date and let other places float around the launch date, like they did with the GBA. Releasing it early wouldn't hurt them, but they would probably like for it not to happen.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
How about I speak for TRU? I run one of their stores.
First of all, GBA did release early at TRU. We sold it a week before the original release date and 3 days before the "revised" release date. Nintendo supported a "sell it as soon as you get it" campaign with GBA.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have a "soft release" for Gamecube. In fact, if you read my past posts I've been stating this for quite some time. The fact that there is no real reservation program makes it very easy for Nintendo to allow retailers to sell it as soon as they get it. Has their been any official indication of an early release? No. But I still think it a very strong possibility.
BTW, it's very common for games and consoles to arrive at retailers well before launch date. In fact, my store already has 2 Xbox games in stock (Fusion Frenzy & ...I forget the other one). GCN games appear to begin hitting within a week or so. PS2 consoles showed up at my store about 2 weeks before launch, Dreamcast came in about 1 week prior to launch. It's no big deal.
One thing is for certain in the retail world: you can count on Circuit City to launch at least one day after release date. They just can't seem to get things together over there. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Camp-
You're right about CC. I bought Devil May Cry there the first day they had it, which was the day after it came out. I remember that when my dad stood in line for a PS2 at 7 AM, one of the guys there was from CC because they wouldn't let him buy one at CC and they weren't selling them until the next day.
I think Nintendo will do a "soft release" but they won't actually pull the date or do a surprise launch.

Steve J

Agent
What's the liklihood that EB will allow early pick up of preordered systems? Nill?
------------------
xciteboy

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If they get them in early, I don't see why not.
The third quarter ends on November 3rd. Obviously, it's been a horrible quarter for most retailers. I think several chains will be drooling at the prospect of an early launch just to put the 3rd quarter behind them. Start the 4th quarter off with a bang and look forward to Christmas.
[Edited last by Camp on October 28, 2001 at 06:19 PM]

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Hey Camp,
Do you think if TRU ends up putting their Cubes out on the 18th, they'll open early (like, maybe at midnight?).
I'm just trying to figure out if I have to camp out all night...
Gary
------------------

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Sorry. There will be no midnight release for TRU. You can count on that.
That said, if things happen before the "official" street date it won't matter.

GaryP

Second Unit
Steve,
I stopped by the local EB just to ask that very question. I was assured that they are sticking to the release date, although I don't know if that would be the case for each individual location. Having ordered a bundle, I just wanted to make sure they weren't going to sneak it out early and then decide to re-sell those that weren't picked up promptly. When the PS2 launched, I was told that if my system wasn't picked up within 48 hours, they would sell it, even though the balance had been paid in full. How do you like them apples?
Gary
------------------
Hey bartender.....Joboo needs a refill.
[Edited last by GaryP on October 29, 2001 at 10:10 PM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Morgan, you said on Friday that Sony were sitting on a complete Metal Gear Solid 2, but they only announced it going Gold over the weekend. With a release in stores only a fortnight away this hardly looks deliberately delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks