Gamecube Preview Disk at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GlenHaag, May 20, 2003.

1. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Well, since I wasn't able to get to E3, this will be my first chance to play Soul Calibur II, Viewtiful Joe, and Billy Hatcher.

I'll let you know what I think later.

I picked it up for $9.99 at Best Buy. I love the "NOT FOR RESALE" on the package... I guess that's not true. [​IMG]

Glen

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read something on GameSpot about this. I think it's a great idea.

3. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

I've heard it's supposed to be with a new Cube purchase, or for sale for $9.99 (which would explain why it's for sale for $9.99 everywhere and marked with "Not for Resale").

4. GlenHaag

Well, I can definately say that the hype about Viewtiful Joe is well deserved. I just loved playing my way through the demo on that one. I can see myself playing my way through it more than a few times.

Soul Calibur II is much better than I remember Soul Calibur being, and I loved Soul Calibur. Cassandra has some kick ass throws that I've found thus far.. Nothing feels better than whupping the holy hell out of that Marilyn Manson wanna be Voldo. I can't wait to get a chance to play around with Kilik, my character of choice from the DC version.

Glen

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

A demo disc from Nintendo? "Welcome to 1995, Nintendo!"

$10. Hmmm, typical.

-Dave

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

7. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

8. GlenHaag

Good grief..... Does every thread have to turn into a comparison of Penis sizes of the three gaming companies?

Ugh.

Glen

9. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

it's a good thing the gc is getting out demo disks, but i personally wouldn't shell out $10 for them. Too bad Nintendo Power went to hell, it would be cool to have a monthly demo from nintendo.

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Yeah, it's an awesome game selection for a demo, but $10 is CRAZY. I could get 2 Dreamcast games for that.

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I would probably have a larger Gamecube library if Nintendo had grasped the concept of demo disks earlier. And cheaper.

-Dave

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. GlenHaag

Sorry, Brian... My comment was in regards to Dave's comment directly after mine.

Let's give Nintendo a chance to see if they'll keep up with this. Who knows, maybe Nintendo Power will start including demo disks in the future. They could use this in a positive way.

Glen

14. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Nintendo should be (practically) giving these things away. Demo disks are how I make the majority of my new-release purchasing decisions. To me, $9.99 is a lot more than $7.99 (I know it's really only two bucks, but it's 30% more than the competition and considering Nintendo's general disinterest in discounting their titles I doubt it will reach the $4.99 level of the PS2 and Xbox disks). And only five playable games? Xbox Exhibition Volume 2 has nine, and Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO is almost the *full* game. Why not throw in a few demos of older games as well, which might spur sales? How about an online-only minigame, to sell some GC modems? These expensive tentative baby steps from Nintendo aren't cutting it, imo, but I feel like I almost have to buy it so Nintendo doesn't come to the conclusion that "GameCube owners don't want demo disks".

15. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

Well, I get a PS2 demo disc every month with OPM. And at subscription rates, with a magazine. $10 seems kind of high to play some demos.

Sean

16. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

17. GlenHaag

Actually, one of the more fun things on the demo disk was the ability to download Dr. Mario onto my GBA and play that.

The Wario Ware demo was pretty entertaining as well.

I haven't had a chance to view the videos other than the F-Zero vid. To me, it was already worth the $10 bucks for the Viewtiful Joe demo.

Glen

18. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

Just because there is more available memory doesn't mean it always gets used. Some Xbox demo disks have three games, others ten. I doubt it has anything to do with storage space. Morgan will tell you that Rogue Leader only takes up 200 Megs of disk space. While there are some video previews of other games on the GC demo disk as well (no doubt compressed), I hardly think they've filled up the disk. I'm looking forward to the demos, I just think for their first offering, Nintendo should have provided a little more, particularly at that price.

Edit: I posted before I could read Glen's message. Wario Ware and Dr. Mario (that's a Tetris-clone, right?) aren't even mentioned on sites that I saw.

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

20. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

FYI...many workers at Best Buy/Circuit City will GIVE you the discs if you ask nicely. I like to target the teenagers who are working on weeknights and really don't care about service or their jobs. I've picked up the last two XBox demo discs that way. The first time, the clerk didn't even scan the box, so I'm not sure if they're even tracked in the inventory. Just a suggestion.