What's new

Gamecube Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hi all,

I just recently checked out the demo for James Bond:Agent Under Fire and quite liked it. Before I buy a Gamecube, am I able to buy component cables for it? And does it have an optical or coaxial digital output for audio? Thanks for the help.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I just rented that game last night, and myself and three friends have been playing the 4-player mode for hours now. Too much fun...

...anyways, the component video cable can be purchased for $29.95 directly from Nintendo's online store (its well worth it). However, the system currently has no optical/coaxial digital output for sound; you still use the left/right RCA jacks. Most games use Dolby Pro Logic, some use Pro Logic II (Rogue Leader is an excellent example), and nearly all benefit from Pro Logic II. There are no DD/DTS games right now, and none are planned AFAIK.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
i already have the gamecube and rented 007, but it looks like i definitely gettin this one!!! i havent had a chance to check out the 4 player but the one player rocks!!!

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Masood. I will definately buy some component cables for the system when I get it a couple paychecks from now (if not sooner). I've seen the S-Video cables around most game stores but it's a pain in the but for me to have to order them from nintendo in American funds. Oh well, guess I haven't got any choice, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it. Fortunately, speaking of DPLII, my Yamaha RX-V3200 receiver has that capability and although it may not sound as good as XBOX and PS2 5.1 games it's better than the limited N64 audio output.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm pretty happy with my GameCube. Sure, there aren't a million and one games out for it yet, but I've got a half dozen that are keeping my busy until another half dozen come out (Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox and the Resident Evil series are all on my Must-Buy list). I've got a GameBoy Advance that I play quite a bit too. I bought the Intec brand GameCube S-Video cables over the weekend; they made a huge improvement (my TV doesn't have component inputs).
I plan on buying a PS2 when I run out of games to play, but I think I've got awhile :)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Chalk me up as a happy Gamecube owner. It's held my attention up until recently (leading me to an Xbox purchase). It's in a slump for great games right now. But I'm glad I have it... Nintendo makes incredible games, and from what I've seen of Metroid and Star Fox, I'm excited. And let's not forget Perfect Dark... I'm sure that will be THE FPS to own (at least I hope)

Problem is, mainstream games across all platforms are just ported to the Cube w/out taking advantage of the hardware, resulting in some slowdown on certain games, and subpar grahics.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Marty I ordered my cables ( I am in Toronto ) they ship from Nintendo Canada and they bill you in Canadian funds ( I think it is $39.99 cdn for us) anyway... I believe Nintendo Canada is in BC... got mine in about 3 days. I only asked for regular shipping they shipped via air anyway...

enjoy!

Andre F

Screenwriter
I have a Gamecube and a PS2. I seem to play my PS2 a lot while my 'Cube collects dust. I guess I'll have to wait until some really good games come out. This is exactly the reason I'm not ready to get an X-Box yet.

-Andre F

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I told my 11 year old son that he can get the game system of his choice if he meets certain goals in school this year and he says he wants the gamecube, although he really does not know anything about the different systems other then what he sees on tv or hears from his friends. Would it be fair to say that gamecube is the system most targeted to, and perhaps most appropriate for, young kids?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Would it be fair to say that gamecube is the system most targeted to, and perhaps most appropriate for, young kids?
By far. Your son would love playing Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Adventure 2, Pikmin, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Rogue Leader, and later on: Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Pokemon, Mario Kart, etc.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I love my Gamecube, but hate the lack of games. If I had an XBOX I would be in the same boat right now. Watch out this summer though, there will be an explosion of games. I know that my purchases of the Gamecube will not be in vein when I am able to own Star Fox, Metroid, and Zelda. You know Mario is lurking somewhere too. Just give it time and the Gamecube will surprise a lot of people.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I love my cube to bits, but I'll freely admit she is gathering a bit of dust right now. I can never be without a Nintendo console, I need their latest machines to fuel my lust for the incredible games Nintendo make, the only problem is the wait between many of their AAA in house titles is AGES....but worth it in the end. It is a lovely machine, it really is.

Long waits in between games are often a good thing in my mind. I am given a chance to settle in with what games I already have, and hopefully finish them before the next big titles come along. It also gives time to save up... The downside is seeing this delightful box of tricks which I absolutely love through and through sit unused for a while...

Dan

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Miles-Thanks for the info! I'll problably order my cables online pretty quick. By the time they arrive I will have had time to save up for the system itself and the memory card. No way in hell am I going to hook it up using just regular RCA connections!
Mike_D- Speaking of Perfect dark, I'm still addicted to the multiplayer portion of that game on my N64. In fact, I've got over 14 days logged on my multiplayer character. My current title is at number 3 and it's called "INVINCIBLE". My friend and HTF moderator Jason Whyte can vouch for me there. I'm dying to find out what number 1 is supposed to be, a God or something!? Thanks for all you're feedback folks!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I bought a Gamecube for one reason, Rouge Leader, and have not been disapointed, that game is incredible. I haven't really thought of buying any more games for it yet as most of them don't appeal to me, though I did get Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. How is the new 007 game, is it as good as Goldeneye was?

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hey Miles,
I tried ordering component cables from nintendo.ca the other night, but the gamecude link would take me to nintendo.com hence the US web site. Am I just blind, or did I miss the proper link to nintendo.ca's online store?
Thanks for the help.:emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also love my GameCube, and for all the dust it gathers, I know that by the end of the year it will played a LOT with Zelda, Mario, StarFox, etc.

I actually have around 7 GameCube games already.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I am currently the happy owner of an X-Box, but with Wrestlemania X8 and Resident Evil just around the corner, I doubt I will be a hold-out much longer.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Marty,

sorry for taking so long to reply I haven't been in here for a couple of days (VGH that is...) I actually called the 800 number and ordered by phone... hope that helps!

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hey Miles,
Thanks for the response. Last Friday, I bought the system with the Agent Under Fire Bond game. I called the number and orderd the component video cables from nintendo. My god does the game ever look amazing!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: I knew the cables would make a difference, but after going from the rca connection to these it was a big jump. That's why I haven't even been on the internet for a week. Thanks again for eveyone's feedback. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks