Gamecube mobile monitors or a GBA SP?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott_lb, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I have a 4 day cross country trip coming up and I would like to bring a game system along to help ease the time. I've narrowed it down to four choices, and am leaning towards the gamecube option:

1. Buy an Xbox monitor ($170.00) for my Xbox plus a power inverter (around $70.00), totaling around $240.00 (ruled out- too expensive!)

2. Buy a PSOne with the monitor attachment ($150.00), plus the cigarette lighter adaptor ($40.00), plus a memory card ($15.00), plus games, totaling around $230.00 (ruled out- too expensive!)

3. Buy an Intec Gamecube monitor for my existing 'cube which includes the cigarette power adaptor for both the 'cube and the monitor itself ($130.00). I've got plenty of games to play and a memory card as well, so no need to purchase those.

4. Buy a GBA SP ($100.00), the headphone kit ($15.00), and three games ($90.00- Castlevania: Aria, Metroid, and Mario Advance 2), totaling around $190.00.

My concern is that I am not planning on keeping the hardware (or software) after the trip (although I wouldn't mind hanging on to an SP for airplane trips). EBGames will give me $60.00 for a trade-in on a GBA SP, and I can't seem to find a going rate for used GBA SP's on eBay (I only find new units for sale). If I choose the Gamecube monitor option, I am unsure if I could purchase it and return it to Best Buy after the trip (or if I even feel comfortable doing so). Furthermore, I'm unsure about their return policy if I try the monitor out and find that the quality is severly lacking.

Has anyone had any experience with the Intec Gamecube monitor?

Which option do you think I should choose: paying $130.00 for the Gamecube monitor whose quality I am unfamiliar with or paying roughly $200.00 for a GBA SP plus a few games where quality is not a concern?

2. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

It is really up to you, I have all of the current systems but i find tbat the games for SP are a little... kiddyish? and very had to find a good-fun game. The Gamecube, on the other hand takes up quite a bit of space, even in my parents mini-van, with all of the cords but it maybe just me hehe. but it is really up to you, gamecube would be fun playin but it gets old after a while, quicker then i anticipated

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Go with the GameBoy. There are a ton of great games for it. There are the three that you mentioned, another Castlevania game, two Advance Wars games, two Golden Sun RPGs, and Final Fantasy Tactics is coming out next week as well (a new game, not a port). The GBA-SP is great. It's small, so when you don't want to have to deal with shoving it around, just fold it in half, and put it in your pocket or bag. Any console will be much bigger, and you'll have to deal with cables and junk like that. Give the GBA a try; I'll be surprised if you don't keep it.