What's new

Gamecube Load Times (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Alot has been said about the super short load times for Gamecube titles. I downloaded IGN's boot-up sequence for Super Monkeyball ( Link Removed ). I see nothing special about this boot sequence. It seems comparable to PS2 games.
There is a Gamecube logo sequence followed by the actual Super Monkeyball load screen. The load screen is followed by developer logos (though I'm quite sure the game is still loading during the display of the logos).
Is this just for Super Monkeyball?

Andre F

Screenwriter
Seemed to load pretty quick to me.
eek.gif

-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they removed the company logos, it probably would have loaded the game just as quickly as the logos. The GCN loads things pretty quick, mainly because of how fast it moves stuff in and out of memory. I think that its how all the parts interact with eachother and how it was designed that makes it load stuff so quick.
Get a video of a game going from a main menu to the actual game and see how quick it loads.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I agree with you Camp...from what I've seen, it seems to be about the same as the Dreamcast or maybe a little quicker than PS2.
-Dan
not responsing to what Morgan said

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I don't really find it that surprising, you can only do so much with cashing data. Here is a movie that shows how long it takes to boot up Wave race. Take the time between when the guy presses the boot button and the actual blue start button pops up on the screen. Remember that your going to get that cube sequence before this time too when you do a hard boot which adds about 4 or 5 seconds.
http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/news/...unch/wave4.mov
I have to hand it to Nintendo though, they do a really good job hiding the loading times. The watermark displaying the tracks title and then the panning around the track are both using that time to load track and racer information to the cash.
It will be interesting to see a game with an environment 3 or 4 times the size of the these Wave race tracks being loaded and how the cube handles it.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on September 15, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If the GCN is able to have quick load times in Rogue Leader, plus the graphics that we have seen from it, I would be happy. I hope it does.
People said that being picky about the controller size and such is nitpicking. To me, loading times are nitpicky (unless they are of the TimeSplitters 1.5 minute type).

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well, Nintendo themselves and developers have all said that the load times on GCN games will be much shorter then with the other 3 next-gen systems. I'm willing to believe them. But only time will tell if it's just a bunch of fluff or not.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Many people have said that you can achieve quick load times for any game if you make it right, and that is true, but for all of those games there will probably be a long load time and then a bunch of really quick ones. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for PlayStation had one load time to load the game (and a memory card file) and then the rest of the game had no loading. I think the GCN is supposed to have quick load times for everything, which means that the initial load time for LoK:SR would be a lot quicker, plus the game wouldn't have any load times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks