What's new

GameCube gets Sonic! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sega recently announced that it was making a secret project, then announced even more recently that it is making a port of Sonic Adventure 2 for the GameCube.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...806025,00.html
I knew Sonic would end up on GCN, and based on what I heard about Phantasy Star Online for GCN after it had only been in development for a month, Sonic should look more than three times as good as the DC version, and will hopefully be purged of its problems. Good thing I waited on the DC version and never got it.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Too bad, this was the most disappointing game in the DC lineup. Hopefully the next new Sonic game will feature Sonic in more than 1/8 of the game.
rolleyes.gif

-Dave
------------------
DVD List

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'd much rather get SA2 for Cube than Dreamcast. I can't wait. I hope they enhance it.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
If it is greatly enhanced, then I'll get it for Gamecube. Otherwise, it is a later DC buy. Regardless, this is good news for Nintendo.
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
So Morgan, why were you claiming to have finished the DC game in 18 hours in another thread? And clocked up 50 hours at it in another message?
Morgan = BrianB's BIATCH!!!!!
About the thing I can imagine Sonic Team doing is removing the stupid look for the crystals levels. Then replace those with new Sonic/Shadow levels. I really hate the Knuckles/Batgirl(forgot her name) levels.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That pretty much confirms that Mario won't be appearing in his own game at launch. I'm sure we'll see a new Mario game at SpaceWorld (for release in 2002) but with Sonic on-board right now Nintendo has a well known mascot.
I think we all knew the secret Sega game would be Sonic. I'm a bit bummed though...I was hoping for something different. The Sonic Adventure games are a shadow of Sonic's former self.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
How much better could it be? It's already 480p 60 fps (with almost zero slowdown)
480p? On Dreamcast? You must be using the VGA box, right?
The slowdown isn't common but it's pretty choppy when it occurs. Maybe Mario will be a hidden character? Weren't there rumors that Sonic would be in Smash Bros.?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, I'm sure there's nothing to it. But there are some characters in Smash Bros. that I've never seen before...who are they? Japanese-only characters? They could certainly replace them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I claimed to have beaten Sonic Adventure in 18 hours, not Sonic Adventure 2. SoA2 will be on GCN, not SoA1.
Phantasy Star Online for GCN had better graphics than PSOv2 for DC plus it could have 4 players on screen at once without any slowdown and it had been in development for only a month. If they can do that with PSO, they will do much more with Sonic. Also, PSO for GCN has more features in it than PSOv2 for DC, so SoA2 for GCN will probably have more features in it than SoA2 for DC.
In Super Smash Brothers: Melee, the added characters are from Nintendo games (mainly). Some characters have been added that were from Japanese games, but not many.
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 21, 2001 at 02:41 PM]

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Blah!!! So what!! Give me 128bits of sidescrolling 2-D Sonic and I will be the first in line to get it.
I would also love to see a 128 bit 2-D sprite based Mega-Man, Metroid & Castlevania. Some games just should not go 3-D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the blue bomber's first outing on 3-D was pretty good and had a unique style of its own.
Castlevania just wasn't as good as the originals because of the added dimension, but I think there is a new game in development that is 2-D (for PS2 I think).
Sonic is great in 3-D, its Tails, Knuckles, and everyone else who sucks. They should seriously make a game with only Sonic and no other characters. Remove the story and just make it a bunch of huge fast levels and it will be great.
Metroid should be good if they are able to create a style unique in itself. If they try to make it too much like the older Metroid games, it will be bad. I hope it starts out like a dark, creepy alien ship kinda deal and then turns into a run for your life frenzy. I hope its not all FPS though. They are also making another Metroid for GBA that is 2-D.
All 4 series above are getting more 2-D incarnations (MegaMan X6 for PSX and Battle Network for GBA, Sonic for GBA, and Metroid for GBA--Castlevania is still unknown whether it will be 3-D or 2-D but an interview with the director gave a 2-D impression).
Sonic Adventure 2 for GCN will probably have higher poly counts, a better camera, and maybe some more levels. They have more power and more space to work with on the GCN than they did on the DC.
[Edited last by Morgan Jolley on August 21, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In Super Smash Brothers: Melee, the added characters are from Nintendo games (mainly). Some characters have been added that were from Japanese games, but not many.
"Not many"? ALL the characters are from Japanese games!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Some of the characters are from games that were released in Japan only, and there are only a few of those. Most of them are from games that were released in America as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks