What's new

Gamecube drops to $99 (1 Viewer)

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Story on Gamespot: Here

Basically, GC $99 now, but I think the free game/GB player is gone now - so it's basically a wash since most people would want one of those anyway. Still, it's quite cheap and will likely spur PS2/Xbox drops.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The loss of the bundle really does make this a wash. The main reason the girlfriend and I are interested in this system (we own an XBox already and that is where I do all my sports/fighting/RPG gaming) is for their first party games. At $149/bundle we were tempted since Mario party was one of the options (we'd have probably jumped if it was the upcoing Mario Kart Double Dash). But at $99 with no game it's basically not a price drop for all intents and purposes, since the games cost $50 pretty much everywhere.

Oh well, if the local EB has a Cube game we want used for cheap (sub-$30), and in good condition, that may spur us to buy a $99 Cube.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
best part of the price drop is that it should affect resale prices and such - if anyone is selling theirs, you should be able to get it for $75 for the console if not less.

I want a cube and that's what I'm looking for - I want a cube/wavebird/memory card for like 100 used.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
The loss of the bundle really does make this a wash. The main reason the girlfriend and I are interested in this system (we own an XBox already and that is where I do all my sports/fighting/RPG gaming) is for their first party games. At $149/bundle we were tempted since Mario party was one of the options (we'd have probably jumped if it was the upcoing Mario Kart Double Dash). But at $99 with no game it's basically not a price drop for all intents and purposes, since the games cost $50 pretty much everywhere.
This makes no sense. Now you have greater freedom to choose which game you want to get while still spending only $150. This is an even better deal when you consider that most of the free games being given away in the old deal can be found for $29.99 or less.

New deal:
$150 = GC + the new "Mario Party 5" or any other $50 game of your choice

is much better than

Old deal:
$150 = GC + the old "Mario Party 4" or another game (from a limited selection) valued at $29.99 or less

BTW the link to Toys'R Us/Amazon.com from the Gamespot article shows that the $99.99 Gamecubes have already sold out. That was fast!

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Pricing the Gamecube at just under $100 was the sweet spot that's spurring interest from consumers. It was a tough sell at ~$150, regardless of which game it was bundled with, because the games were often available seperately for less (smart shoppers knew where the bargains were :D ), and as Steven mentioned, you have more leeway now with which games you wanted to add to your library. Let's not forget the slew of titles which will be available at discounted prices come tomorrow.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This makes no sense. Now you have greater freedom to choose which game you want to get while still spending only $150
Actually it makes perfect sense...if you're me in my position.

Bottom line: I own and am happy with my XBox. A GC purchase was only for me + my girlfriend who loves Nintendo's First Party games (I would do all other gaming on the XBox).

So the only title we were interested in was Mario Party 4 (and the upcoming Kart but that's not yet available). MP4 + GC used to go for $149. Now the GC is $99 but MP4 is still $50 new. Hence my total price is still $149 even after this price drop. If you see my first post in this thread, I pointed out that I do all my serious gaming on XBox - the Cube is mostly for the girlfriend so she can play Party and Kart. So for us, this price drop is not really a savings at all.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I see. How about this....

EBGames.com is running a rebate promotion ($30 mail-in Gift Voucher with purchase of PS2, Xbox or GameCube, any accessory priced $19.99 or higher along with any game priced $29.99 or higher):

$99.99 Gamecube (Platinum because it looks the best)
$19.99 Memory Card 251 (you need to save your games)
$29.99 Game (I recommend either Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Sunshine or Animal Crossing)

Total: $149.97 plus shipping

Then you can send away for the $30 rebate and use it toward "Mario Kart Double Dash!!" or "Mario Party 5". Savings savings all around! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's a bit too much running around and costs up front for me, since we pretty much only want the GC and either MP4/5 and Kart. I've got other things taking up my liquid cash (October/November are killer DVD months for me) so I can't spend as freely as I'd like. And I have no interest in those $29.99 games being advertised at EB, CC or BB. So for me that's not a $20 savings (off MSRP) on those games, but a $30 waste.

Guess I'll just hold off. Something tells me that when MP5 comes out they might later on make a bundle with MP4, or drop MP4 to $20. Might make a nice XMas (or post-XMas) gift.

Damn those memory cards! I knew I liked the XBox HD for a reason! I've been spoiled by not having had to buy one since the PS1 days. :)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
If I understand correctly you're not really paying $99. You basically have to buy the memory card unless you plan on finishing a game at one sitting so the real practical cost is US$119.99. Still really cheap. I'm so tempted to jump on board with this simply for the handful of exclusives that are available.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
This should be a good impetus to push more GCs out the door this Xmas, kudos Nintendo.

Unfortunately, even if the console was $10 I wouldn't get one, the costs of upcoming software for the Xbox, PC, PS2 this holiday season (and after) are looking to be obscene. I can't support buying more great games for other systems ;)

But this is still a sweet move for consumers and a great deal...

NathanS

Agent
They have a great deal at Wal-Mart: Gamecube, memory card, and Super Mario Sunshine for $119.00.

My wife just picked me one up for a Christmas gift.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
NathanS, is that Super Mario Sunshine a fixed game for the deal? Or are there other options?

Thanks!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I read an article last week that said Nintendo announced GameCube sales increased to nearly 4 times as much as they were selling before the price cut.

NathanS

Agent
Carlo, the Cube, memory card, and game are all in a single box, so there are no other options.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I think it was mentioned on the Deals page, but it bears repeating.

K-B Toys is giving 30% off "qualifying" purchases of $30 and up from 10/8 to 10/14 to settle a class action lawsuit. Techbargains.com reports that video games and systems are excluded from the discount, but that might depend on how clueless your cashier is. A new 'cube for $70 isn't a bad deal, if you can talk them into it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
KB Toys is not honorring the 30% off on Video game hardware, software or accessories.

The Zelda bonus gamecube should arrive the day after Thanksgiving. Anyone who thinks $99 for a gamecube, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask isn't the deal of the year is smoking something.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, if that comes to pass, that is when I'll spring for a Cube! Couple that with the fact that Mario Party 5 comes out (hence MP4 will drop in price) makes this a Nintendo-licious Holiday Season for me! :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
On Friday, I had mom get me a Cube for $79 at Wal-Mart with the Zelda pack. Many Wal-Marts had a big stack of them, and I believe that price was until they were gone. I'm not a huge gamer, but I love Zelda, and for that price, I am quite happy. Now I have to wait until Christmas. Another reason for me getting it was to play my GameBoy Advance games on it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to say that I did put my money where my mouth was. Like Josh, we sprung for the $79 Cube bundle at Wal Mart. $99 was tempting enough, but $79 w/ the games...that was a no-brainer! The hardest thing now is waiting until XMas to open it (my girlfriend and I decided that this year we would gift each other w/ Cube, she got the Cube for me, and I will be getting the games she likes to play for her - Double Dash and Party 4/5). But she said we couldn't open them until the 25th. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks