Gamecube drops to $99

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phil Levy, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

Story on Gamespot: Here

Basically, GC $99 now, but I think the free game/GB player is gone now - so it's basically a wash since most people would want one of those anyway. Still, it's quite cheap and will likely spur PS2/Xbox drops.

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The really interesting part of this development is this:

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The loss of the bundle really does make this a wash. The main reason the girlfriend and I are interested in this system (we own an XBox already and that is where I do all my sports/fighting/RPG gaming) is for their first party games. At $149/bundle we were tempted since Mario party was one of the options (we'd have probably jumped if it was the upcoing Mario Kart Double Dash). But at $99 with no game it's basically not a price drop for all intents and purposes, since the games cost $50 pretty much everywhere.

Oh well, if the local EB has a Cube game we want used for cheap (sub-$30), and in good condition, that may spur us to buy a $99 Cube.

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

best part of the price drop is that it should affect resale prices and such - if anyone is selling theirs, you should be able to get it for $75 for the console if not less.

I want a cube and that's what I'm looking for - I want a cube/wavebird/memory card for like 100 used.

5. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

6. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Pricing the Gamecube at just under $100 was the sweet spot that's spurring interest from consumers. It was a tough sell at ~$150, regardless of which game it was bundled with, because the games were often available seperately for less (smart shoppers knew where the bargains were [​IMG] ), and as Steven mentioned, you have more leeway now with which games you wanted to add to your library. Let's not forget the slew of titles which will be available at discounted prices come tomorrow.

7. Carlo Medina

8. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Oh I see. How about this....

EBGames.com is running a rebate promotion ($30 mail-in Gift Voucher with purchase of PS2, Xbox or GameCube, any accessory priced $19.99 or higher along with any game priced $29.99 or higher):

$99.99 Gamecube (Platinum because it looks the best)
    $19.99 Memory Card 251 (you need to save your games)
    $29.99 Game (I recommend either Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Sunshine or Animal Crossing)

Total: $149.97 plus shipping

Then you can send away for the $30 rebate and use it toward "Mario Kart Double Dash!!" or "Mario Party 5". Savings savings all around! [​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Well, that's a bit too much running around and costs up front for me, since we pretty much only want the GC and either MP4/5 and Kart. I've got other things taking up my liquid cash (October/November are killer DVD months for me) so I can't spend as freely as I'd like. And I have no interest in those $29.99 games being advertised at EB, CC or BB. So for me that's not a $20 savings (off MSRP) on those games, but a $30 waste.

Guess I'll just hold off. Something tells me that when MP5 comes out they might later on make a bundle with MP4, or drop MP4 to $20. Might make a nice XMas (or post-XMas) gift.

Damn those memory cards! I knew I liked the XBox HD for a reason! I've been spoiled by not having had to buy one since the PS1 days. [​IMG]

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If I understand correctly you're not really paying $99. You basically have to buy the memory card unless you plan on finishing a game at one sitting so the real practical cost is US$119.99. Still really cheap. I'm so tempted to jump on board with this simply for the handful of exclusives that are available.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

This should be a good impetus to push more GCs out the door this Xmas, kudos Nintendo.

Unfortunately, even if the console was $10 I wouldn't get one, the costs of upcoming software for the Xbox, PC, PS2 this holiday season (and after) are looking to be obscene. I can't support buying more great games for other systems [​IMG]

But this is still a sweet move for consumers and a great deal...

12. NathanS

NathanS Agent

They have a great deal at Wal-Mart: Gamecube, memory card, and Super Mario Sunshine for $119.00.

My wife just picked me one up for a Christmas gift.

13. Carlo Medina

NathanS, is that Super Mario Sunshine a fixed game for the deal? Or are there other options?

Thanks!

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read an article last week that said Nintendo announced GameCube sales increased to nearly 4 times as much as they were selling before the price cut.

15. NathanS

NathanS Agent

Carlo, the Cube, memory card, and game are all in a single box, so there are no other options.

16. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I think it was mentioned on the Deals page, but it bears repeating.

K-B Toys is giving 30% off "qualifying" purchases of $30 and up from 10/8 to 10/14 to settle a class action lawsuit. Techbargains.com reports that video games and systems are excluded from the discount, but that might depend on how clueless your cashier is. A new 'cube for $70 isn't a bad deal, if you can talk them into it.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

KB Toys is not honorring the 30% off on Video game hardware, software or accessories.

The Zelda bonus gamecube should arrive the day after Thanksgiving. Anyone who thinks $99 for a gamecube, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask isn't the deal of the year is smoking something.

18. Carlo Medina

Wow, if that comes to pass, that is when I'll spring for a Cube! Couple that with the fact that Mario Party 5 comes out (hence MP4 will drop in price) makes this a Nintendo-licious Holiday Season for me! [​IMG]

19. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

On Friday, I had mom get me a Cube for $79 at Wal-Mart with the Zelda pack. Many Wal-Marts had a big stack of them, and I believe that price was until they were gone. I'm not a huge gamer, but I love Zelda, and for that price, I am quite happy. Now I have to wait until Christmas. Another reason for me getting it was to play my GameBoy Advance games on it.

20. Carlo Medina

Just wanted to say that I did put my money where my mouth was. Like Josh, we sprung for the $79 Cube bundle at Wal Mart. $99 was tempting enough, but $79 w/ the games...that was a no-brainer! The hardest thing now is waiting until XMas to open it (my girlfriend and I decided that this year we would gift each other w/ Cube, she got the Cube for me, and I will be getting the games she likes to play for her - Double Dash and Party 4/5). But she said we couldn't open them until the 25th. [​IMG]