Gamecube Dolby

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jason Quillen, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Hey Everyone,
    I just got an HT in a box for XMas (I know, but I also got an outlaw so parts are already getting swapped out - and I'm a college student so HT in a box is better than nothing!) - Anyway, I was playing Metroid and noticed the Dolby logo at the beginning, so today I went to search for the digital cable I'd need to get Dolby working. I thought I found the right thing with a monster cable, but it still connects to my reciever though the Gamecube analog output. Do digial cables exist for the Gamecube? And is there anyway to get the Dolby working, or am I just still to new to the HT scene and I'm completely overlooking something?
    Thanks,
    JQ

2. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

No digital cables exist for the GameCube because the system only runs Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II. These are both surround sounds that can be acheived through stereo signals. So standard RCA audio cables will work. You'll need Digital Cables for Xbox and PS2 as they can do everything the GameCube does, plus Dolby Digital and/or DTS. You can upgrade the video quality for the GameCube though, with either S-Video or Componenet Video.

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Jason,
    Depends on which Dolby mode you are referring to. If you are looking for Dolby Pro Logic II, make sure your receiver supports that mode (many still do not at this point, although more and more are supporting it).
    Dolby Surround/Pro Logic (1 and 2) - does not require digital audio. This refers to two channel stereo and pro logic, in which the front 3 speakers 'bleed' the sound evenly into the two rears). Pro Logic 2 is so great because it gives you great imaging in your soundfield even if you're just using 'normal' audio cables.
    Dolby Digital (5.1, 6.1 et al) & DTS - does require digital. The PS2 and Xbox support DTS 4.0 and DD5.1, respectively, but the NGC's 'claim to fame' is PLII, which, while still a relatively new feature, is a pretty ingenious audio system.
    If there is no clear indication that your receiver supports DPLII, then you can still hear a 'pro logic approximation' without digital audio cables. I have 'normal' (red/white composite) audio running from my Gamecube to my receiver, and some of the sound presets on the receiver do a very good impression of discrete imaging.
    When playing Resident Evil NGC, Metroid, et al., I hear what sounds a bit like discrete real channel sound, although it is not. As long as you have at least 5 speakers and a decent receiver, you may not hear DPLII but it can still sound pretty fantastic.
    ~j

4. Jason Quillen

Ok, my receiver does have Pro Logic II, but I cant seem to get it to work. I hooked up the GC monster cable audio inputs to the receiver and have the receiver set to auto detect both analog and digital sources (with digital given priority). Now I have the GC turned on with Metroid playing and the receiver isnt picking up the Pro Logic 2 signal --- any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    JQ

5. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jason,

I noticed the same issue when I started playing Metroid as well, you have to go into the Options menu, and under the sound setting, you can set it to Mono, Surround, or Dolby. Just change it to Dolby, and yer done. Enjoy the game.

KC

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

7. Jason Quillen

Ok everyone, I got it working. It was a matter of getting Metroid turned to Dolby (duh - I'm out of school for the month, so my brain is turned off [​IMG] ), and setting my receiver to Normal Surround sound mode.
    Now I'm going to hijack my own thread so I don't have to start a new one - today at the store I also got Monster cables for my XBox - I got component video and the optical audio cords, got them hooked up, and everything looks great except my receiver is applying Dolby Pro Logic II when it should be recogonizing Dolby Digital )I'm testing it with Splinter Cell, which supports DD). Any ideas on why the receiver isnt picking the DD up?
    [EDIT] - Ok, nevermind - I went to switch the game from Splinter Cell to Halo to test Halo out and I saw the "Settings" menu on the XBox when no game is inserted and realized that DD was probably setup there rather than in each individual game, and I was right.
    Thanks a lot, you've all be a ton of help!
    JQ

8. Jason Quillen

9. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

10. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If your looking for hifi by yourself a SACD 555ES player and a Denon 5803 reciever. For someone who wants a good gaming console DD or DTS shouldn't weigh on your decision..
    Good DPL performance should be OK.

11. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

13. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Christ;

Before Dolby Pro-Logic II came along, many games claimed to support regular old-fashioned Pro-Logic, which they did. Technically, these were just stereo mixes that were converted into DPL. Was that borderline lying as well?

I don't see how this could be seen as misleading. All it says is that the sound in the game was designed to take advantage of the benefits of DPL II, including better channel separation and split surrounds. That's it.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

15. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

16. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Christ;

Re-read what Aaron said about developers being able to program a game with Pro-Logic II in mind so that specific sounds could be directed to certain channels. What he says is 100% true.

Yes, the signal is being carried through two stereo analog connections, but just because a sound source is sent to the reciever that way, doesn't mean that you'll extract a true 5-channel soundfield from it. Don't believe me? Grab a copy of Goldeneye for the N64 (if you have it) and try playing that game in Pro-Logic II (or even just plain old Pro-Logic for that matter. You'll notice that the sounds in the game stay in the front channels. Even if you stand with your back to an enemy who is shooting at you, you will not hear the sounds of the gun blasts from the rear channels. This is because that game was designed with a stereo soundtrack in mind, not a DPL one. Now, play that game's follow-up, Perfect Dark, which supported DPL. You'll not only hear sounds in the rear speakers, but those sounds will move to the back channels if that's where they come from in relation to where you stand. The developers obviously took advantage of Pro-Logic's limited abilities to create a semi-surround sound environment, and now they have taken it a little further with DPL II.

Nintendo isn't misleading anyone. All they have said is that certain games will take advantage of the benefits DPL II has to offer. They never held Pro-Logic II up as a sound format.

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i think everyone is missing my point. i realize certain games will work well with dpl2 when the sounds are sent to certain channels after processing. i dont doubt that this works, but how is it that so many sources claim to have the GC's format be dpl2? maybe it didnt come from nintendo, i checked their website. ok so you have established the games can be compatible. however, the system, which is stereo, cannot possibly support anything but stereo in its native state. play a game that has been desiged for dpl2 through stereo connections, then you can take advantage. basically, the compatibility has nothing to do with the gamecube, only the games themselves.

CJ

18. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the source signal does have to be encoded in a certain way in order to take advantage of DPL or DPL2. Granted, it's all traveling on a 2 channel, stereo signal, but the center and rear channel information is encoded into the stereo signal, making it a psuedo 4 channel signal.
    Granted, any stereo signal can benefit from Dolby technology, but in order to fully take advantage of the spacial surround effect that DPL offers, the source signal has to be encoded with it.

19. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

That's right. Although Dolby Pro Logic 2 is not a sound format, per se, to take full advantage of it the soundtrack must be ecnoded in a certain way, that way happens to be Dolby Surround, which is a 4 channel format, matrixed into two channels. Games that say they support Pro Logic 2 are not lying, they are simply saying that the sound has been designed to take full advanrage of the matrix decoding that Pro Logic 2 offers.

The confusion sets in because Pro Logic 2 can also be applied to any stereo source, whether it was recorded with DPL2 in mind or not, and still produce a pleasing effect.

20. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

The first game on Gamecube to use DPL II was "Star Wars Rogue Leader" from Factor 5. Here is a an IGN interview from back in 2001 with Factor 5's president Julian Eggebrecht and programmer Thomas Engel, where they discuss DPL II:
    Gamecube DPL II interview
    Very good stuff regarding what DPL II is capable of...