Gamecube Component Cables In Da House!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cameron Seaman, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I finally received my component cables from Nintendo! Just after I finished signing for the package, I looked back up and to find the UPS lady with her mouth open, staring into my apartment. My roomate was playing Wave Race: Blue Storm on my Toshiba 50H81 [​IMG] Little did she know, that was only composite video, and the component video cable she just handed me was finally going to give me the 480p I've craved since the 18th.
    To my surprise, the cable itself is well constucted. For some reason, I was expecting a cheap, plastic looking cable. Such is not the case here. The large end that sticks into the back of the cube itself is nicely stamped with a Gamecube logo, and the RCA plugs look similar to the packed in composite cables. They look different due to the fact they are gold tipped.
    I had read in the manual for Wave Race that you have to hold down B to initiate Progressive scan. I didn't do so the first time just to see how good interlaced component was. Keep in mind that this is my first piece of equipment I have ever connected to my Tosh with component video. (I'm still running a 5 year old Sony DVP-S300 DVD player with only S-Video!) I changed the settings for the component input to the same all my other inputs I previously calibrated with Avia.
    The first thing I noticed with Interlace was: A Much Better Picture! Of course, it looked great. Everything was much sharper and had fewer jaggies. The only odd thing I noticed was that although the setting in my TV were the same, the picture looked like I had turned the contrast up several notches. I clicked it down a couple to compensate.
    Next I decided to resart, but this time I held down B. I didn't think the Progressive scan prompt was ever going to appear, but a few seconds after the Wave Race main menu popped up, it asked me if I wanted to switch to progressive. I chose "Yes" naturally, and the picture went black for a sec and then reminded me that I was now in Progressive mode.
    The main differences I noticed between Progressive and Interlaced was that the menus shimmered a bit more on Progressive. But when I finally got to some gaming action, the progressive was much more fluid than Interlaced mode. the difference is subtle at first, but when you restart and go back to Interlaced mode to compare, the difference becomes more noticeble.
    I'm looking forward to trying out more games this weekend, but most importantly, I'm glad to have the best picture possible for my cube.
    I know some other people here had orders placed for the component cable. What did you think so far?

2. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Looks great, as you mentioned a stable, sharp picture with little or no jaggies.

I had component right off the bat so I can't compare it to anything, needless to say I'm very happy with the picture.

3. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

Can anyone post quality pictures of composite vs s-video vs component or just composite vs component and maybe interlaced vs progressive?

4. GaryP

GaryP Second Unit

Cameron,
    Looks like you got yours just about an hour before me, you lucky dog [​IMG]. I was also suprised to see a halfway decent looking cable. I've gone through Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, and Star Wars (through a 50h81 as well). Very nice indeed, which is probably an understatement. The PS2 has officially been demoted to S-Video for the time being [​IMG]. I recommend these to anyone whether playing in progressive or interlaced.
    On a side note, Wave Race prompted me for progressive mode right from the start, without having to hold any buttons.
    Gary

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

IS there anywhere else to get them other than Nintendo?

I really don't feel like waiting, after hearing how good it will look. I got a Mits 55807 and I hope it will look as good on mine as it did on your Toshiba's.

7. Cameron Seaman

Does the Cube prompt you for Progressive every time you power it up for every game? The only game I own right now is Wave Race, and it asks me each time.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to have a setting for Progressive Scan in the Cube's main menu?

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Cameron;

Yes, it always ask you if you want to display the game in Progressive Mode when you boot up the system.

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I got my cables today as well. I've only had the time to try Madden, but I did have X Y coordinate issues after switching to progressive mode.

The X issues can be fixed in the GameCube Setup. However, is this "Y" issue a problem for anyone else. (It's raised a bit, though I don't think cropped)

TV is the same as Cameron, Toshiba 50H81.

10. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

Off topic (a little),

for PS2, am I better off with S-video or component cables? I have a component capable Toshiba TheaterWide 40" (forget the model #) and I have component cables from DVD to TV (difference? not much). So, based on that brief summary, what are your opinions on S-Video vs Component?

Gwon

11. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I noticed a BIG difference between S-Video and component for the PS2 on my system. It's possible that the S-video cables were sub-par, but if you can, I would get the component cables for sure.

12. Corey Albers

Corey Albers Agent

got my components shipped from Nintendo yesterday.. i like how they come in a package that says "Nintendo Spare Parts" as if they don't have any plans of marketing these to consumers... missing out on a huge selling point for the GameCube IMO.

anyway, i hooked the components up to my Toshiba 40H80 TheaterWide and it looks great. Rogue Leader is awesome; the textures on the Hoth level look amazing. at $34.95 shipped, i think it is definitely worth it.

13. Luke_H

Luke_H Stunt Coordinator

I hooked up my new cables this morning and the games look a lot sharper. Playing Rogue Leader in 480p is beautiful and smooth. Even Tony Hawk 3 looked night and day better.

Agreed; 35 bucks is worth it.

14. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

There is a HUGE difference between component and s-video. I notice a LOT more dotcrawl with S-video vs component on the PS2.

15. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I've been using a 3rd party S-Video cable for GC. One day I decided to use composite and play Rogue Leader:
    YUCK!! The picture was all blurry and there was no detail whatsoever. I switch back to S-video and everything was ok. [​IMG]

16. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Sure enough, I ordered the cables on Sunday from Nintendo direct and they shipped the next day Blue label!!!

Seems like a good choice to me, considering knowone around here had the cables, and I'm in the NY/NJ Metro area...

Anyways, I hooked the cables up to my Sony Wega TV.

The Component video is much improved over the Composite cables supplied with the Cube. I highly reccommend anyone that has Component inputs to quickly call Nintendo and order a pair.

I may hook the cube up to the larger widescreen for the 480p later on this week.

Ok, back to Star Wars Rouge Squadron!!!!

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I just got my GameCube today and I'm getting the component cables. Can you only get them from Nintendo? Can you order the Nintendo ones from other websites?

18. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

Just got my component cable and my picture is shifted up a few inches on Madden, as well. It doesn't happen on Star Wars, just on Madden. I have a Mits 55807.

19. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Ordered mine Friday night last week and received them yesterday. Very well built cable. Now I can actually SEE the details in Star Wars Rouge Squadron[​IMG]. $35 well spent. Now I wnt to rent some of the other games available. Game on!
    Randy

20. Cameron Seaman

What the hell? The title for this thread changed from Gamecube Component Cable Review to Gamecube Component Cables in Da House!!! [​IMG]
    I don't talk like that.
    Well, sometimes I do.