Gamecube cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Copeland, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I just made this post in the receivers forum:

"As the subject says, I'm getting an electric hum from my speakers from one of the inputs on my receiver. It happens when I switch to the input that has my Gamecube connected. For those that do not know, the Gamecube does not have any digital output for audio, only the standard red/white stereo cables.

This also poses another problem since I'm quite limited on cables to use. I just can't go out and buy new cables with lots of shielding since the GC uses a proprietary plug on the end that connects to the system.

The hum is there whether the GC is on or not, but it goes away when I unplug the cable. This problem does not occur when source component is connected with optical cables (as are all my other components).

So is this indeed a shielding issue? Is there anyway to get rid of it assuming I can't find anyone that produces GC cables with good shielding.?"

So now the part specifically for you guys...does Monster or anyone else make some GC cables with good shielding?

Thanks!

2. Shawn _G

Shawn _G Auditioning

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Aaron, sounds like you've got a ground loop problem. Rather then shelling out tons of money on a monster cable, go to Radioshack and buy a Ground Loop Isolator. Then plug the cube audio cables into the GLI and the GLI into your reciever. That should fix the problem. I had a similar problem with my Onkyo 484(and later my 494 after my 484 was stolen) DD/DTS reciever when I connected my powermac to it. As soon as I connected the Ground Loop Isolator to it the problem cleared up.