GameCube--Are you going through controllers?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carlos Mendoza, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

When I got my gamecube, I made sure to buy only the Nintendo controllers.

Now, after months of button-mashing, I will soon have to replace two controllers that are acting up.

On one, the "b" button seems to be stuck in the down position. You can still click it, but it doesn't spring back up, and therefore it is sometimes unresponsive.

On the other, the "C" stick is "trending downwards". I know it is supposed to re-calibrate when you start the system, but this one acts like it is always pointing down.

Just wondering if any others have had similar problems with the NINTENDO brand controllers?

If the Nintendo controllers are notoriously bad, can you recommend a decent 3rd party controller?

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

In all the years of my gaming, I have found the official Nintendo controllers to be the best and most reliable controllers ever made. Hell, my old NES is still going strong after all this time.
    Nintendo has the best QA people out there in my opinion. The only third party controller company I ever trusted was Ascii(or Agetec as they changed), as they made the best third party controllers for SNES and Genesis, sometimes even giving the officials a run for their money. The last controller I remember being from Agetec was the wonderful arcade stick for Dreamcast, which still gets heavy use today from me.

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Haven't had any really bad wear on any of my controllers. The only noticable wear is that the C-stick on my wavebird isn't quite as tight as it used to be but still works fine.

4. Phil Levy

Phil Levy Stunt Coordinator

I dunno about Nintendo controllers being so well made, N64 analog sticks were garbage, god I went through a lot of N64 controllers. NES and SNES pads were rock solid, but the SNES pad wasnt even made by Nintendo (a company called Alps did it, they made a 3rd party PSX controller too which was totally amazing, if freaky looking). Mind you, maybe Alps just designed the SNES pad and Nintendo made it, yeah that seems more likely. But Alps rocks.

As for Gamecube controllers, if you play SSBM the sticks do wear out, but I'm finding the wavebird is more durable...

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Nope, mine are all going strong. I play a lot of SSBM, but also some Metroid and Animal Crossing.

6. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I haven't had a single problem with any of the first party Nintendo controllers I've purchased. This goes all the way back to my NES days. I don't count the controllers I've personally smashed on the floor though. [​IMG]

Glen

7. James St

James St Supporting Actor

This is where Best Buy's extended warranty plan comes in handy. If anything is wrong with it (whether it got spiked too many times or not) they will give you a new one with no hassle at all.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

My controllers are fine, still.

About the B button one, try to twist the controller so that you push one side to twist one way while the other twists the other way, then twist each side in the opposite directions, and see if that fixes the problem.

9. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

My Gamecube controllers are running fine. I have used the wavebird exclusively since Christmas with no problems at all.

10. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Well, I went ahead and replaced the two bad controllers. Sam's had a deal from MadCatz with a Controller, two extension cables, a memory card(59) and a game case for $19 so I bought two of them.

The madcatz controllers are a little bigger but feel just right in my hands. The macro button might come in handy also.

I guess my kids are harder on the buttons than most. Must explain why my 7-year-old whoops me at SSBM everytime!

11. Ray Warner

Ray Warner Stunt Coordinator

Honestly, I've beaten the living crap out of most of my controllers, and everything from the NES pads to the Big-Ass Style Xbox controller is still going strong. The only two that ever broke were (surprisingly) an ASCII FT Pad for Dreamcast (SNK style, if anyone's wondering) and a PS1 Sony controller, the blue style. The D-Pad on the FT was held on by a small stick, and after a while it just popped off and never went back on quite right again. The Sony got the X button jammed in permanently. No Nintendo, Sega, SNK, or Microsoft controller has ever broke. The ASCII stick I own is probably the most durable, seeing as I've dropped it quite hard 4 times, spilled honeyed water into it, dropped it in a pool (!), and taken it completely apart and re-assembled it. It works like a champ.

I say this because these exact same sticks are available in GameCube form. [​IMG]

12. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

Bah, post got eaten.

Carlos, A word of advice: Save your receipt for those controllers!

When I picked up my Xbox, I was drawn into the anti-xbox-controller hype and picked up 3 Madcatz controllers so I could frag my friends.

The right trigger on all 3 died within 6 months of sporadic use (such as the occasional halo-fest). I don't know whether to say they all suffered from SIDS or just crap-tastic workmanship, but I wouldn't go near MadCatz again with a ten foot pole.

Buyer beware!

13. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

No... We are going through GAMECUBES [​IMG]

We are now as of yesterday on our 3rd one.

They are kept as nice as can be, with good ventilation too. The first two had 2 completly different problems. Let's hope 3 is the charm.

14. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Ben, I had the similar problems with the controller. Among my friends and me, I think we went through about eight broken MadCatz controllers.

-j