What's new

Gamecube - Anyone dissapointed? (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I have a GC sitting in it's box and unopened (simply because my wife won't let me open it until X-mas). But I too was wondering it it's worth the $$. I have a PS2 and while I was initially down on the system at launch (buyers remorse I guess) the games out now are awesome and I'd take the PS2 over any console despite it being a year older and not as technologically advanced. The games make the system, plain and simple. Although neither X-Box or GC have an abundance of must have games just yet, I will take a few months to evaluate my purchase.

My N64 sat and collected dust for three years before I gave it to my nephews... I just hope the big N learned from that mistake (IMO).

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
As far as being disappointed with the Gamecube, I suggest you just give it a few months. What you are experiencing is common with consoles just released to the market
This is SO true...Until I picked up SW:Starfighter,Onimusha, & Zone of the Enders, the PS2 was mostly boring...but that is the way with most console launches.
It's better to have a broader sense of taste...:)
Calvin

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, did this ever spin out of control? I didn't mean to get a "Halo vs. the world thread" going. I purposly didn't even type the word Xbox in my post so not to cause this...
Oh well... I was just wondering if anyone else was not as excited about the Gamecube as they hoped to be. I for one, am sad that it didn't meet my own personal expectations... but I hope everyone else is happy with it... or whatever they play for that matter :)
Tom

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have played Halo and it is far from being the best game ever, IMHO. Games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Max Payne, Half-Life, Jet Grind Radio, Silent Hill 2, Tony Hawk 3, Mario 64, Metropolis Street Racer, Gran Turismo 3, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metroid (I can go on and on), are all better games than Halo.

For you X-box owners and PS2 owners who have yet to play Max Payne, pick it up as soon as it is released. That game is noting but pure adrenaline.

-Dean-

Steve J

Agent
Well, I'm pretty happy with my GameCube.

$200 is a nice price point. I'm loving the controllers. I LOVE Luigi's Mansion...I think it's just a fun, relaxing, cool game. SW has great graphics, and even though the gameplay is similar to stuff I've played in the past, I still like it! WaveRace is hard, but fun to play with a bunch of buddies.

I have thought about picking up Super Monkey Ball, but there seem to be no copies available anywhere near me (in Boston, MA...if someone sees it somewhere please let me know).

I'm excited for Pikmin and Super Smash Brothers in another 2 weeks (yes only 2 weeks...and those of us who've played these games at a Cube Club know they're pretty sweet.).

And I'm sure there are a bunch of other cool games I'm going to like for GC next year.

I remember last year at this time people were wondering whether PS2 was worth their $300. After a year with some awesome games coming out for PS2, I'm sure most people have decided the system was worth it.

Give GameCube a year and see how many people are still unsure if it was a wise investment.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Oh, to answer the topic of this thread, I am far from being disappointed with the Cube. I have only played Luigi and Rogue Leader, but both games are pure fun. I cannot get enough of either.

-Dean-

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
The X-Box has halo which by most accounts is one of the best (if not the best) console game ever.
Maybe, but I'm waiting for the real version to come out for OS X and play it at the high resolution Bungie intended it to be.

I really like my Gamecube more than my PS2. Outside of SSX and FIFA, I don't really use it all that much anymore. Luigi is a great little game that surprised me. Super Monkey Ball is fantastic. Madden is it's usual self. Rogue Leader is next on my playlist though Waverace is definitely a tad difficult for those with little time to play.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Just now are the good games coming out for PS2. It'll take that long for GameCube and XBox. That's what you get for buying a console right away.

jeremy

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Rogue - Beautiful game, and I'm risking a lot of flames for this, but, it's been done SO many times. I've roped AT-AT's for over 8 years now! Way back on the PC and on and on... it looks/sounds amazing, but it's the same game we've been playing with Starfigher and Naboo, and Rogue 1.
I'm with you 100%. I'll go so far as to say Rogue Leader sucks. It sucks a bit less than Starfighter but it sucks nonetheless. I've been trying to say that without being attacked for a couple weeks now.

I purchased my Gamecube because I typically love Nintendo's first party games. I don't consider Luigi's Mansion a real "game" as it feels more like a technical demo. I bought into Gamecube knowing full well I'd have to wait for that first party magic and I'm confident Nintendo will not disappoint. Mario and Zelda are coming and that's good enough for me.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
The X-Box has halo which by most accounts is one of the best (if not the best) console game ever.
Let's not pass off subjective opinion as widespread fact. I've never heard anyone, in any media, be it game magazine, news magazine, website, etc. refer to Halo as one of the best (and certainly not the best) console game of all time. It's a good Xbox game. That's about it.

Of course, I'm sure Microsoft is calling it the best game of all time.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I wouldn't be thinking of jumping ship just yet on the Gamecube. Launch titles aren't usually THAT strong anyways. I DID buy an XBOX because I felt that the Cube would offer similar things that I experienced from them in the past.

Look at the Ps2 launch for example, Fantavision anyone?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Halo is one of the best games of all time. There you go
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That was funny. Great retort Dan!:emoji_thumbsup:
By the way..I'm quite happy with my Gamecube so far. Rogue Leader is good. Luigis mansion is decently good fun. Give the system some time. IT JUST CAME OUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Andre,

If RL wasn't just a prettier Rogue Squadron, I'd say that it's awesome, but it's not. It's the best LOOKING SW game we've ever had, but only that much. The heat over the horizon on Tatooine during the training mission is AWESOME, but it's still just Rogue Squadron.

Mike

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I keep making the same mistake in buying the newest Factor 5 Star Wars creation because everyone says it’s the best thing since sliced bread. RL is collecting dust with Rouge Squadron and SW Starfighter, and I can’t understand why I keep thinking the newest game will somehow be better or different. I am never going to buy another SW space shooter from Factor 5 again. Period. No matter what anyone says.

That said, I’m having an absolute blast with Super Monkey Ball. Is this something that couldn’t be done on Dreamcast? Sure it could. As a tech demo, it’s no eye-opener. But no Gamecube, no Monkeyball. Waverace is good but not great only because it isn’t leaps and bounds better than the original. If the N64 version had never come out, people would be drooling over this one. Still, I played the hell out of the original title, and new tracks is new tracks.

So am I absolutely floored by the GC? No. Am I disappointed? No. If there was one game I bought the GC for, it was Pikmin. Hopefully, that’s the game that will make my GC purchase totally worth it.

Frederick

Second Unit
I'm not completely disappointed with the `Cube, but I am suffering from "New Console Syndrome", meaning that the pickings are a tad slim. But it was the same with my PS2, which is giving my wallet hell now! I just finished Luigi (which was a blast), and am now working on Rouge Leader. After that, it's back to the PS2. Having 2 systems helps out a great deal. There's a LONG list of games on the PS2 that I want to purchase, and that will tide me over `till something else I want comes out for the `Cube. Give it some time. Hmmm ... I wonder when/if the guys that purchased the X-Box are going to start this same thread? I mean, what's going to happen once they beat Halo ;) ...
Freddy C

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Have patience guys. :D How long has the Gamecube been out? A more appropriate header for this thread might be, "where is the killer app for my Cube?!"
Speaking for myself, if I had been lucky enough to either find a GC, much less RL, in its first week, or if I had been passionate enough to preorder, I would sure as heck try to enjoy the limited offerings available for the system now rather than, in the space of just a few days, reconsider my purchase.
We are getting harder and harder to please.
Have faith that the developers have some surprises in store. Have faith (as history has shown) that we have more to look forward to than just the short list of overhyped games and the high profile development projects. Even if there had been a deep, immersive killer app for the cube launch (and there doesn't seem to be), some people would have finished it in a weekend and then complained the following week about there not being enough quality games on the system.
Forgive my sass, but any real substantive disappointment strikes me as totally premature right now.
Cheers,
Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, loved Rogue Squadron, so playing RS with better graphics, new features, different levels, and a bunch of other added things is something I looke forward to.

Dead or Alive 3 is more like its predecessor than Rogue Leader, but nobody really seems to say much about that. They strange thing is that the best looking games for each console are sequels to great games.

If you look at the XB and GCN launches and compare them, the XB has a slight advantage because of Halo and Munch. DoA3 is just like DoA2:H with better graphics (as is Rogue Leader to Rogue Squadron) and Super Monkey Ball has more than just a puzzle mode or a few mini-games for your $50. By the end of next month, I think the GameCube will be ahead, but right now, the X-Box is winning, though slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks