Gamecube - Anyone dissapointed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Fudold, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

First of all, I know the maturity level on this board is much highter than most... but just so I don't come across as a 'fan boy' of one or the other... I own the PS2, and the Gamecube, and have always owned Nintendo products. With that said.

I'm not happy with the Gamecube.

I only have 3 games, but:

Waverace - Difficult for one, and the fact that it's really not that different from the N64 version bothers me.

Luigi - I really like this one, but I'm afraid I have to agree with the reviewers, it's mundane... same thing, over and over again.

Rogue - Beautiful game, and I'm risking a lot of flames for this, but, it's been done SO many times. I've roped AT-AT's for over 8 years now! Way back on the PC and on and on... it looks/sounds amazing, but it's the same game we've been playing with Starfigher and Naboo, and Rogue 1.

Anyway, I'm second guessing my choice to pick the system up... I'm not sure I want to keep it. I want Mario and Zelda, more than anything else... but they are at least 9 months away if not more. I simply am let down by the games out there right now and wonder if anyone else is as well. The hardware seems powerful enough, and the controller is fantastic... but I'm very under-whelmed. Anyone else feel this way?

Tom

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Tom not at all...
    although I hold much hopes for the system in the future, my fiancee's GC has been pretty much idle as we've enjoyed the launch titles for the xbox more so far. It seems that Nintendo is truly trying to shake the kiddy image they've developed for themselves and I truly hope they do, because otherwise, we'll have bought ourselves a nice expensive paper weight [​IMG]
    I grew up on Nintendo and SNES but I've been disappointed with stuff from them for awhile now. I sooooo want to love the GBA but until their backlighting issues get cleared up (according to rumor at least) I just can't give it a thumbs up just yet. Same goes with the GC so far... it could be so great in my eyes, but as in football and war, that last inch often seems more like a mile.

3. Michael St. Clair

Tom,
    I own a Gamecube, and I feel the same way...I'm thinking of selling it. $370 plus tax to play 4-player Super Monkey Ball doesn't cut it right now.
    I think I'll re-evaluate in the spring, and buy either a PS2 or a Gamecube...then pick up the other one next fall.
    Oh, and there are a quiet minority of us who don't care for Rogue Leader...being quiet because it is too easy to get into flamewars with die-hard Star Wars fans. And this is coming from someone who has seen The Empire Strikes Back more than any other movie!
    [​IMG]

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Tom,

I too would like to avoid the whole fanboy thing. I for one am pleased with my purchase of the GC. In fact my PS2 still has three great games sitting waiting for me (Victorious Boxers, ICO, THPS3, I can't wait for MG2). Anyway, I've been playing as much as I can. Here is what I think of the games.

SMB - All around great games (my Wife even plays it!)

Luigi - Simple fun gameplay! Great graphics.

Star Wars - Beautiful game, great gameplay. I didn't play the older versions of this to death so it seems pretty fresh to me.

Now I'm a little concerned about the GC considering how disappointed I was with the N64 but I figured Nintendo would learn from their mistakes. Let's all hope for the best.

-Andre F

5. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Well Michael, Andre and James...
    Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm not alone. I too want SO MUCH to love this system. I don't think it can live up to what I hoped for. Not when I have Metal Gear, and Grand Theft here. Those on the PS2 are so fun and to me, more my kind of game.
    Perhaps I'm too old (30) to really re-live the days of Nintendo. But I really want too. I simply don't know if anything will convince me more than a new Mario... so, I will wait. But I have the option for a full refund if I do it within 3 more days, and I think I will.
    I know I'll get flak from Star Wars fans, I can understand that, as I am one, and I'm watching it right now on WGN... I love all Star Wars products, but this it's not worth the $$ to me.
    Well, thanks again, and enjoy the games you are playing, and if they are on the GameCube... excellent for you, I wish I could enjoy them, but unfortunetly, I'm not [​IMG]
    Happy Holidays - Tom

6. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I am still having fun with my Gamecube.

Having said that though, I can see where you are all coming from. Rogue Leader is a rehash of RSquadron, Naboo, & Starfighter. The enjoyment I get most out of the game is that now I feel like I am playing the movie, and not just some other game.

Luigi is awesome,but it is also repetitive. That doesn't help what is supposed to be THE game to sell the cube.

Super Monkey Ball is great,though...& I have no intention of selling my cube.

So what if you don't play a system right away? That isn't wrong. I have a lot of games still to play on my DC, & I can think of 4 or 5 games off the top of my head that I want for my PS2...

And that doesn't include my future Xbox purchase.

Which, I am going to put up a new thread about...

But anyways, I wouldn't give up on the lil' cube just yet.

To me,its Microsoft that has the most to prove still...

Calvin

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To tell the truth, neither the X-Box or GameCube has a killer app at its launch that can't be met by another app on the opposing console or has some bad part to it. They both have more games coming, and that is when we will see some of the better games coming out for them.

For those who are bored with their GameCubes, just wait until next monday when Super Smash Bros: Melee comes out. If its anything like the first, then it will be the ultimate multiplayer game for a next gen console so far.

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

9. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Mike,
    I agree with you that Halo is one bad ass game, but I have trouble quantifying it or any game as the best/ultimate game ever. Taste is too subjective for such labelling. There is no such thing as an ultimate console game just like there is no such thing as the best movie ever. There's just too much wiggle room to account for in terms of peoples' taste (or lack there of).
    Now, don't get me wrong, I think Halo is (as Penny Arcade put it) the "best damned thing since chocolate covered chocolate", but I recognize that it's just my personal feeling. For me, Halo has been the most fun I've ever had in a console game. Period. Out of all my systems (for the record, NES, SNES, GB, GC, Xbox, PS, PS2, Genesis, TG16, Saturn, DC, N64....think that's all of them) I don't ever recall being so engrossed in a game. That said however, it's just lil' ol me and my experiences in playing games.
    For pretty much all the next gen consoles, there is a real lack of originality as a whole, so I find the argument that Halo doesn't present anything groundbreaking or new as a rather shallow argument. That is a criticism to be lobbed at the industry as a whole, not just Bungie specifically IMO. That doesn't however mean the game isn't due its fair share of credit. I'll check out smash brothers when it hits, but I'll reserve judgement on buying it till I try it hands on.
    In the end, play the games you like, buy the systems you enjoy...but for god sakes if I read any more posts of people panning games that they haven't yet played on a level deeper than just a cursory glance then I swear I'll scream. [​IMG]

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I'd say the ultimate multiplayer game for the next console generation so far is Halo. Those with the right network setups are now playing the game over the Internet!

11. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Halo might be good, but is it $350 good? I don't know anyone who would make that kind of investment just for one good game.

Half-Life might not be as good as Halo, but its still pretty damn good. I would rather stick with my PS2 that I already have and get Half-Life than Halo simply because of price. My point is, so would a lot of people.

13. Aaron Copeland

Aaron

14. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I know that saying Halo is the only game you will buy for X-Box is wrong. I would buy other games as well, but for right now, there are only 3 big games (Halo, Munch, DoA3). I could care less about DoA3 (as you probably know) and am not interested in Munch (though I probably should be) so as of right now, the only game I would purchase is Halo. Thats why I asked if it was $350 good.

I never played Half-Life. Many people haven't. If I had to choose between $50 for Half-Life or $350 for Halo, guess which I'd pick? Just because its old doesn't make it bad. Will Halo automatically be bad in a few years because its old?

To me, right now Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best game ever. Then again, that is of the games I have ever played. For a game to be the best game ever, it needs to be the only good game ever produced or even the only game ever produced. Otherwise, its just an opinion, no matter what.

EGM just did a list of the 100 greatest console games of all time. Final Fantasy VII was 91 and Final Fantasy IX was 57. Many people think FF9 sucked, but its rated better than FF7. Why? Because its their opinion.

16. Aaron Copeland

Aaron

17. Aaron Copeland

Aaron

18. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Guys...guys...guys...everybody knows that Atari 2600 Pacman is the greatest game ever!!!

As far as being disappointed with the Gamecube, I suggest you just give it a few months. What you are experiencing is common with consoles just released to the market. Most new consoles launch with one or two good games while the rest is just filler. I felt the same way about the PS1 and N64 when they were first released. Just hold out until the new year and you should see a lot of good games released.

19. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike

20. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Well, now that I've had more then a week to play and test out my Xbox and Gamecube, as well as continue to play my PS2 here are my thoughts.
    I'm having much more fun right now with my Xbox and PS2. You just can't get much more fun then Halo, DoA3, and MGS2.
    As for the Gamecube games, Monkey Ball is great! Now that I've beaten Rogue Leader... [​IMG] I feel as though I've played through all this many times before. I rented Waverace, and while it's fun, I only consider it to be a renter. It's just not fun once you've mastered it. Well, once Smash Brothers comes out I'll be having much more fun. Then, Mario and Zelda. One thing I always know when buying a Nintendo system is that I will have a lot of fun...just maybe not right away.
    With all the PS2 RPG's coming out in the near future I'll be kept very busy. And for Xbox, I'm really looking forward to Morrowind and Project Ego.