1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamecube 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I figured out how GC will have 5.1 and I don't like it. They're going to use six channel analog outputs. Which sucks because I want to get a DVD audio player which will also require those inputs.
    jeremy

2. LewisD

LewisD Extra

I don't think that would be very likely, unless a hybrid digital cable was packed-in with Rogue Leader(the only "5.1" game announced).
    All of the Gamecube games recently released in Japan have support for Dolby Surround. I just recieved my imported Gamecube w/ Luigi's Mansion and Waverace last week, and both games sound downright amazing on my Dolby Pro Logic 2 reciever.
    Most likely, Lucasarts has attained the rights to promote Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader as the first video game to have Dolby Pro Logic 2 support, providing "5.1" surround sound via stereo...

3. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

The lack of an optical or coaxial out has got to be the strangest decision Nintendo made - not sure why they would do that...
    I agree that this is definitely DPL2; do yoou have a source or link supporting the 6 channel analog outputs?

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

No link, just speculation. I didn't know anybody here had an import GC. When are you doing a full write up?
    jeremy

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    According to the stats @ nintendo.com the cube will have a digital out.........

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

None of the cables currently offer digital audio though. The port is used for SVideo and Component.
    ------------------

7. LewisD

LewisD Extra

Having given this some thought, there IS a possible way Nintendo could add Dolby Digital support, but the negatives outweigh the positives....
    Theory 1: GC developers could use software based decoding of DD5.1, and pack-in a hybrid 6-channel digital audio jack that would connect to the GC's Digital AV port.
    NEGATIVES: GC mini DVDs only hold 1.4-1.9 gigs currently. Software decoding would have a major impact on processor power. In game audio-video lag is still a major hurdle. Component-video users are SOL because the component-video cable also connects to the Digital AV out.
    Theory 2: GC developers could include uncompressed DD5.1 audio, and use a hybrid 6-channel digital audio jack to output to a reciever. In-game lag would be non existant.
    NEGATIVES: Lack of storage space on the GC mini DVD format. Non compatibility for component-video users. Not all recievers have 6 channel input.
    Basically, the only way Gamecube will have decent 5.1 is if developers design a game's audio with DPL2 in mind....

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

No matter how they do it, they are doing it. I just hope its not some slip of the tongue and its really just surround.

9. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

I think Nintendo is aiming more at the gaming crowd, rather then the Home Theater crowd. Including things like a hybrid 6 channel digital cable just doesn't seem like something they would do.
    I think Nintendo will leave it up to developers to include DPL2 in the games, and worry about a digital audio output for their next system...once more people have a 5.1 setup in their homes.
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

10. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

The newest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly clears this up and confirms our suspicions. It states that Rogue Leader will be the first video game to use "Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1. . . "
    Guess I'll have to spring for that pre/pro now.
    Brandon

11. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Damn! I really can't justify upgrading my receiver right now.
    DPL2 is going to have to wait. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You don't NEED DPLII to play the game, so don't sweat it. It probably has Dolby Surround anyway, so at least you get that.

13. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Is DPL II really worth it (in general). I have yet to feel an urge to replace my RX-V2095 (and the SO would kick my butt if I try doing it before next spring) but didn't know if people really thought it was that compelling (it's surely not as big an upgrade as DD vs. DPL was, right?)

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

15. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Well EGM was correct. IGN Cube has confirmed Rogue Leader is indeed the first game to run in Dolby Pro Logic II. IGN Cube has posted up their impressions of the games DPL 2 sound, and also an interview with Factor 5 .
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Steven_V on September 27, 2001 at 03:47 PM]

16. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't see your point. Factor 5 made the sound in Rogue Squadron excellent and I can see them doing Rogue Leader even better, especially with DPLII. Considering that they can use Lucas' resources for anything they want, they will not be able to screw this up. People say that the first and second party developers for MS for the XB are being spoiled because they get whatever they want from MS, but Factor 5 is probably even more spoiled because they have the money AND the resources.
    I doubt the 5.1 mix will suck, if thats what you're implying.

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

19. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

20. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit