Gameboy Player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

So what's the story on this nice little add-on to my GCN. It allows me to play GBA titles on my GCN? I hear it's only about $40.00, so I can't wait for it. Anyone know when it will be released?

2. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

In the Spring. March, April, May, one of those months.

Gonna be cool!

3. Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith Stunt Coordinator

It is supposed to go on sale in Japan in march, and in May in the US.

4. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I have a GC and GBA too, but I don't really see the point of this device. To me, the GBA is a great system to take one the go, or more importantly for me, something to play when my wife is watching the "Golden Girls" on the HT.

Why are so many people excited about this new gizmo?

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Rob;

It's all about convenience. Which seems easier to you? Hunching over a tiny GBA screen, which is only visable in the best lighting conditions, or playing it on a larger TV, where you can better see what's happening? I vote for the latter, and I even have an Afterburner kit installed in my GBA.

I'll probably import this when it is released in Japan.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I'm gonna buy it because I don't have a GBA and am not about to buy it because of the screen but I still want to play the games.

8. Matt Birchall

I've purchased Metroid Fusion, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, and Metroid II: Return of Samus, among others, over the past couple of years, and can really only get maybe an hour or so into all of them before I get sick of the small screen.
    I love my GBA, but I can only tolerate it in small doses (games like Namco Museum are perfect for the GBA for me).

With the Game Boy Player, I'll be able to comfortably play all of these games on my big TV at home, which I'm really looking forward to.

9. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

all the reasons listed and more, its just such a great idea all around.

10. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Points taken, fellas. I guess the GBA for me is something to play when my consoles are unavailable; not as a primary game system. It's not so much convenience for me, but the purpose. Personally, I would rather play my console games than my GBA, but that's my preference.

Let me know what you think of the product when it comes out!

11. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I too have an Afterburner-Modded GBA, but I wouldn't mind playing some of these games on a big screen. One problem with the GB Player, it won't fit on the Panasonic Q, which means it's good that I held onto my original Gamecube

12. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

An even more useful device would be something that lets you hook the GBA up to any tv using composite cables (or a variety of hookup for those hotel tvs). I think they have that on the market in HK, I wish Nintendo would sell it though, I think it's pricey.

That way you won't need a GCN and you could play it on any tv.

13. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey I was wondering if anybody knows if the Game Boy Player will act like a GBA hooked to the GC. So when I play through Metroid Prime and Fusion will I be able to put Fusion in the GBP to transfer the bonuses?

14. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

{double post}:b

15. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

David,
    I think the answer is that at the current time, no, that won't work. However, I think Nintendo is providing developers with the code to allow that to work in future games.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that a game can be coded to use the GB Player hardware, but to use the GB Player as a GBA, it requires a special boot disc, so you can't use it as a GBA unless a game is specifically coded to read from it.

17. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

I have the device that allows you to hook up to the GBA to a display using composite cables (red, white and yellow).
    I works well and I can actually play Golden Sun for more than 15 minutes!
    It was $45, BTW...

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Is Nintendo still planning on releasing only the black version in the U.S.? If so, will the import version work with a U.S. Gamecube?

-Dave

19. Matt Birchall

20. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well after playing Castlevania on the GBA SP I picked up yesterday, the lighting is no longer an issue. My little buddy is fantastic. The only thing that bugs me is that Nintendo did not include the headphone adapter with the pacakge. Now I have to buy this one accessory whenever it shows up (hopefully this weekend).

I do know the GBA Player (japanese version) will require a boot disc be inserted in order to play GB/GBC/GBA games. Not sure what they'll do for the US version. I've ordered the Japanese version in Indigo (matches my modded Japanese Indigo Cube).