GameBoy Player not so great

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mike JM, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Mike JM

Mike JM Stunt Coordinator

I'm not impressed.
    I bought this thing with Mario Kart super circuit assuming I'd be able to play at least a 2 player game since I have more then one game cube controller. and you can't, unless one person plays on the tv, and another on the little game boy.

...I was hoping for the tv screen to split into 2 game boy screens, my screen is definitely large enough for it.
    The sound is also really tinny. Something I use to blame the speaker for on the game boy advance.

...also with the graphics blown up, they really look a lot worse.... about 3x as worse.

2. Mike JM

Metriod Fusion plays pretty good on it.

...and i finally get to play the Oracle of Ages and Seasons on my tv....so it's not intirely bad.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Why do we need TWO extra threads about the GB Player?

4. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

I respectfully disagree. But, I only need one-player support, which seems to be your main hang-up.

When this was announced, I slammed it and thought that the GBA player was redundant and took away the entire reason for owning a GBA...portability. But, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don't like the GBA. I like the games, I like the portability, but I don't like the system. I was willing to put up with it when I travelled so much in my job, but every time I think about playing it now, I kind of dread it. So, I made the plunge last night.

The system was a snap to install and took about 25 seconds. It's about an inch tall and causes some problems with the lid hitting the shelf above my Gamecube, but nothing I can't live with. I must say that I am extremely impressed with the system. I first tried Metroid Fusion and it looked fantastic. It looks even better than the SNES does. The colors are very bright and true, no distortion. In fact, the full screen mode looks even better than the normal screen mode.

For a GBA game, there's not too much difference. Each pixel is enlarged in the right proportion, not stretched, so it just looks slightly bigger. Fortunately, one of the 20 borders is just plain black, so I customized to make it look like the picture takes up the entire screen. I also greatly prefer the GC controller's thumbstick to the small d-pad on the GBA. I found controlling Samus much, much easier and the shoulder buttons are finally usable for me. I could never get the shoulder buttons right on the GBA. So, Metroid Fusion took on a new life last night, though I'm still f'ing stuck so I didn't get any farther.

Then I tried Circle of the Moon. I literally haven't played that game in a year because of the darkness and difficulty controlling the dude. It was perfect. I erased my saved game data and plan to start it over sometime soon. But, the control, color, and brightness were just right. Surprisingly, the sound in each of these games was very, very good. I turned off the Pro-Logic and used only stereo and it sounded great. It is certainly not CD quality, but sounded much better than I had hoped.

Then I tried Zelda: A Link to the Past and Mario Advance 2 (Super Mario World). These 2 were not quite as perfect as the other two, but certainly better than the GBA. The sound wasn't as good on these two games, but certainly not that bad. The only drawback on Zelda is that there is only 4 directions in game, no Northwest, Southeast, etc. So, the thumbstick is difficult to use, but the d-pad worked fine. Nothing too major, though.

Finally, I popped in Tetris and Monopoly for the original GameBoy as well as Zelda: Oracle of the Seasons for GBC. These games won't be seeing much time, but they looked better than I thought. They take up a much smaller portion of the screen, but play and sound true.

My only complaint is that switching games is a little tough. From the in-game menu, you can select to switch a game without turning the system off, which is nice, but squeezing my fingers into the small slots and pulling it out is a little tough to do without lifting up the entire system. But, that is the only complaint and certainly not a major one. And, since it only comes in black, it matched my setup just fine.

Overall, the GBA player gets a hearty 10 out of 10 after my 45 minutes of play. The picture, control, and sound are all better than I had even hoped for, which was quite a bit. Needless to say, you need to give this thing a whirl.

5. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

6. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

7. Mike JM

I think we are assuming that it sounds better because and only because it's running through far superior speakers and we can control the volume at much louder levels.

....it's still tinny...to the point of a headache...So I need to turn it down to almost gameboy volume levels. (almost)

I'm not entirely knocking it. I am glad I bought it for Metroid Fusion alone.

And yeah, I'm sure I would have seen in big letters on the side of the box that it supported 2 player links without an additional gameboy advance if it was capable. I just expected more from it.

8. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Mike,

Not to nitpick, but this device has been known about for months. Never once was it mentioned to do anything except to play Gameboy games on your TV. It seems unfair to say something isn't good because it didn't fulfill a promise that it never made.

Personally, I thought the sound was great. I had to turn the volume to be about half of what I put on for GC games, but I thought the sound was great.

Glen

9. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

10. Mike JM

Yeah, I agree Mikah. Mario Karts graphics on the gameboy player look bad when blown up.
    But Metriod Fusion looked really good.

...Glen. I never said bad. I said I was unimpressed. Just would have been really nice to play the latest Mario Kart with someone on a 36 inch screen.
    And I don't think it would have been that much to ask for. Nintendo knew they were going to release a GameBoy Advance adapter for the gamecube way before Mario Kart came out. They knew from the beginning.

....but to recap my feelings. Gameboy Player could have been better, but it's still a decent buy. 3 out of 4 stars.

11. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

12. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

13. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Heh, all I know is that the GBP will be the only way for me to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when it finally hits. Games like that are better when you're kicked back on the couch, playing it on a big screen...

14. Mike JM

Yeah. that be the truth.

course, i just put in my zelda's links awakening, and all my saved games, totally got erased.

what the...?!?!

15. GlenHaag

Anyone else seen something like this?

I've played 4 or 5 different games on my GB Player and not one single thing has happened to my saves.

How long had it been since you played Zelda, Mike?

Glen

16. Mike JM

About 2 days before on my Gameboy Color, Glen.

It was a brand new Zelda DX from a good year or two.
    My original Zelda for the NES still saves games.

17. GlenHaag

Got me.

In all of the reviews that I've seen I haven't heard anything like this happening on other units. I would try to contact Nintendo to see if there is anything they'll do for you.

Glen

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have games for NES that still save files, but my Super Mario World for SNES can't hold a file for more than 24 hours. Go figure.

It's probably the cart, not the GBP.

19. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

20. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I'm just curious. Is it possible to open up a SNES cart and change the battery? I have some SNES carts that I'd love to play again, like FF III, but they won't hold a save long enough.