GameBoy Player Impressions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Philip_S, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

Got my GB Player for the Gamecube today.

Set-up is easy and the menus are pretty intuitive. Graphics are obviously a little pixeleated, but not so much that it's distracting. There is some noticeable flickering on objects that isn't nearly as apparent on an actual GBA. A small price to pay for a otherwise ingenious product. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like Mario Kart was chugging along compared to some other games. The stereo sound is very nice. The hot swap is nice as well, you don't have to shut the GC off everytime you want to switch games. Just pause the game, bring up the GBPlayer menu, select the farthest right option and pop a new game in. I'm so used to cramming games into a GBA, I forget there's a eject button on the side of the thing.

All in all, pretty cool, although I'll still use my GBASP for the vast majority of my Gameboy playing. Now if some industrious 3rd party will come up with a pass-through connector for this and the Panasonic Q, I'd be set

2. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm thinking of picking this up when it comes out stateside. The way I see it, for 39.99 I get 95% of the functionality of a GBA. I don't need a portable but I'd love to pickup some of those GBA games. Although that GBA SP looks so nice perhaps I'll just pick that up instead. Tough choices.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm going to sell my GBA, buy the Game Boy player, and worry about the SP later. I want Dragon Warrior remakes on my TV! I will worry about the portability next time I am going to take a trip.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Dave, fyi: the price got bumped up to $49.99 for some reason. :/

Philip-Are you using an import GBPlayer on a domestic Gamecube? If so, any issues so far?

Dave

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to Video Game Hardware

6. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I'm using on a Japanese Cube with a switch mod, so it's perfectly fine. I think the import player will work on domestic Cubes using the Freeloader, albeit with some disk swapping.

7. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Yes the GBP is indeed a great thing. That is why I bought my first gamesystem. I have over 80GB games to play on it.