Game reviews.. really fair?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Never really gave this too much thought until recently. I remember reading in magazines (EGM for example)and on some websites, that when games are reviewed the rating is basically how games compare to other games on the same platform. So then, with quantum redshift as the latest exapmle, why does it seem as if the score is affected by offering "nothing really different" from the wipeout series? Why compare it to wipeout if its not even on the XBOX? .. Yes they are similar games but on different systems, thus seeming to go against the statment(s) made about only rating games against games on the same platform. Sega GT would be another example that comes to mind. Just wondering what some of your thoughts were on this.

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Unfortunately, games cannot be reviewed in a vaccuum. We don't play them that way, why should reviewers?

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

On the point of only comparing to games on that specific platform, taking that to its logic conclusion, the first games out would be given way way better reviews than they should - nothing to compare them against...
    Of course, it could be argued that's what frequently happens.... [​IMG]

5. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

A lot of reviews seem somewhat arbirary to me, like the reviewer didn't really take the time to think things out. For example, I'll notice that a game will have a specific glaring flaw noted by some reviwers, and then another reviwer won't mention it at all, as if he hadn't actually played the game.
    I also think it is strange that a game can be reviewed on all three consoles, with the reviewer noting that the graphics on the Xbox were superior to the rest, yet when it comes to the graphics score, they all get the same marks - or sometimes the Xbox version with the better graphics will actually score LOWER. Strange. Some argue that's because the game's creators didn't really take advantage of everything that particular system could do, graphics-wise, but I think that's a silly argument. If one version looks better than all the rest, that should be reflected in the graphics score for that game.

6. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Certain magazines and websites have a rule that the reviewer must finish the game before writing the review. It's a good policy. Too many reviews I've read it's clear that the reviewer just played through the first level or two.

Overall, I trust the opinions of real folks in forums like this one over reviewers. People who had to buy the game, and aren't judging them by what freebies they got from the publisher or who had the best "Booth Babes" at E3.

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Game reviews/reviewers should be treated like movie reviews/reviewers. You have to track a reviewer's rating against your personal scores. Over time you will be able to determine the relevancy of the review based on how often you and the reviewer agree or disagree.

8. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

what concerns me the most with reviews is when you have a
    AAA title, and reviewers are often time pressured into handing out high scores even though they may not be merited. Take IGN's review of Echo the Dolphin for the Dreamcast. The initial review scored it as being an average game. Then, A secondary review was given days later scoring it much higher. drama ensued. In the end, Echo the Dolphin did suck.

9. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Usually, I'll go with what the overwhelming majority around here are saying about a particular game.
    Take the latest Turok, for example. Most of the guys here aren't being too kind to it. In fact, Tino is the only guy I know that really likes it. So, I'll assume that it "probably" isn't that great of a game. Granted, I MIGHT like it but, the odds are against it. So, I play the odds.
    My feelings are that we're mostly consumers here. Not much by way of developers or game mag editors on this forum.
    New game comes out. We buy it. Most say it sucks. It probably sucks. No hidden agendas. No real need to try to sway majority opinion. No selling out to certain companies and giving them "cushy" reviews of their crappy games like certain magazines do.
    So, I value the opinions of the guys here more than those of mags and major websites.
    ...just my $0.02 worth. [​IMG]

10. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Fanboyism fails in the bright light of parting with your hard-earned cash. My motto with respect to a football game on the xbox was, "Anything but Madden." Reason? EA's refusal to support xbox live.

So, I rented Fever, didn't like, bought Sega's NFL2k3 with the full attention of keeping it and regretfully returned it for, gasp, a copy of Madden 2003. Hell, I've even just recently rented NFL2k3 to see if my initial judgements were off, and alas, I still don't care for Sega's football game.

People need to make up their own minds about a game. I rarely ever warn people to not rent a game, except in a case like Bruce Lee: QOD., but I do warn people off a game as a purchase, especially if you're purchasing from a vendor with a final sale policy. I personally consider the money I spend on rentals as insurance policy premiums.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I read reviews to see what people think, but there are some games I just know I'm going to buy and some that I just know I won't. For the others, I'd prefer to talk with someone who has played it so I can ask them questions, and for that I have the HTF.

12. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

IMHO it's perfectly acceptable for a game that's been released on multiple platforms to get a lower score for the graphics on one of those platforms, ie on the XBox. We all know the XBox hardware is the most powerful so i would hope developers would use that extra 'power' to good effect and i think the review should reflect that...but this is the real world and everything costs money so i understand if and why developers choose to port the game across as it is.
    As for reviews, not only are the reviewers biased towards a particular style of game but so are the people who read these reviews then criticize them, if you were hoping that Quantum Redshift was going to be amazing then you're bound to feel let down/disappointed or whatever at reading the review. If all you want is a rehash of a previous game but with prettier graphics then you're buying into the EA mentality and so much for innovation and creativity.
    Anyway, if you really are into Anti-Grav Racing at it's best then you should own WipeoutXL, period. [​IMG]