1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I watched the first 10 minutes of The Long Night back to back using both iTunes and HBO Now, they both looked about the same. I could tell what was going on with both.

Sam Posten likes this.
  2. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Killed the Mad King, killed the self proclaimed King of the Iron Islands, pushed the future King out of a window

Jaime Lannister certainly lived up to his nickname

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    :rolling-smiley:

4. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

I'm fine with Bran being king. He's not insane like the Targaryens, he's not going to go lusting after someone's wife and thereby instigate a war, he won't try to conquer other lands. He'll leave the Wildlings alone, which is what they want. He won't be cruel. He'll be dispassionate, and he'll care about justice.

5. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    "Held the Queen in place so the Red Keep could crush her.".....

Simon Massey and Carlo Medina like this.
  6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    :rolling-smiley:

7. The Drifter

The Drifter Second Unit

Jim
    EP06 of GOT was fantastic, and a great way to wrap up the series. I have had 0 issues with S08 (or any previous season), and felt that the finale in particular was very emotional & intentionally understated.

The early scene with Dany speaking to the hordes of Dothraki about taking over the world reminded me of old news clips of AH speaking to his soldiers in Germany, pre-WW II. She had obviously gone insane/power hungry, and had to be stopped - even though she herself thought she was doing the right thing.

I completely get why Jon felt he had to kill Dany, and while I was 100% expecting this & completely agree with the reasons why he did this - it was still hard to watch.

What did slightly surprise me is that Drogon didn't kill Jon after Dany's death - but it also wasn't clear that he knew what Jon did. He obviously "sensed" that Dany was dead, since he appeared soon after. His rage seemed to be directed towards Jon, but for some reason he decided to spare him. The last scenes with Drogon picking up Dany's body & flying away (to parts unknown) were very fitting & appropriate.

Bran becoming the "Broken king" was also appropriate, and I can't think of a better choice as ruler.

Interesting how the book that was being looked at (towards the end) was titled "A Song of Ice & Fire", which was obviously a homage to the novels that GOT are based on - nice touch.

The final scene(s) of Jon & the Wildings going off into the forest was great, and a nice way to end the show.

So, in essence - this was an excellent series & I can't imagine a fantasy-type show of this caliber ever coming out again. In any case, I'm definitely going to do a complete re-watch of the entire series at some point in the next couple of years.

Danny Burk and Johnny Angell like this.
  8. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Apparently, the dragon majored in symbolism. I think it was in the same class as the white horse from the previous episode.

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    Yes, such an important character that they didn't bother having him on the show for a couple of seasons. While I haven't read the books, I can see that ending working on the page, but not on screen. His character is entirely inward looking and the series didn't do a particularly good job of showing the audience what's happening in his head. He's spent most of the time staring into space. And didn't he say something like "I don't really live in the present anymore" just a couple of weeks ago? Is this really who you'd want as King?

Johnny Angell likes this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    And just what happened to Arya's white horse? That was the first continuity issue I saw - Arya is still at King's Landing but no white horse in sight.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    With the internet, anyone can be a critic, I’ve felt this for years. I had too many years without the internet, so I tend to watch shows hoping to be entertained. When I write about a show I’m often seeking to get a question answered or to understand something better.

12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    For most of the series the dragons were quite obedient steeds, so I had not given them credit for being very smart. Perhaps you are right, Drogon understood why she was dead.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Me too Johnny. I actually straddle the pre- and internet ages almost perfectly, half my life without it and half with it. And by with the internet I mean as we know it now, I know it was actually invented before I was born.

And I used to regularly catch myself doing the same thing I noted people do now, which is what led to the insight behind my post. I used to go in with a lot of preconceived notions about what I wanted/expected out of shows, and invariably came out somewhat disappointed. It really took a lot of steam out of me and then I realized that I had stopped seeing shows as entertainment, and more of an exercise of "how would I create the perfect version of this film/show"? I may have had good ideas...but I've never hired a cast and crew of thousands, managed a payroll of millions and written hundreds of script pages. And I realized I was MMBQ'ing.

So in the last few years I've just relaxed a bit and tried to enjoy films and shows as they're meant to be: Entertainment. A temporary reprieve from the real world.

That doesn't mean I've turned my brain off and accepted things at face value, or that I've stopped thinking creative talent can make mistakes. They can and do. I've just stopped trying to play some combination of film critic and MMQB. It's actually led to me greatly enjoying films and shows more. I can acknowledge they're not perfect, but I'm not watching them and criticizing every single plot point that I don't agree with and thinking of alternate ways I would have done it differently.

That's just where I am at this point in my life. God knows you can search this forum and see many posts of me criticizing films and shows in the past. Oh, one thing that time, and this new attitude of mine, hasn't changed. The Star Wars Prequels are still terrible IMHO. :rolling-smiley:

Johnny Angell, RobertR and Dheiner like this.
  14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  15. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    Well, it worked for Brie Larsen. LOL

16. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Or maybe...

drogon.

Tommy R, Scott-S and benbess like this.
  17. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I'm also wondering if there's a generational aspect to this. With the Internet and the 'published' validation of everyone's opinion and the millennials growing up with an enhanced sense of entitlement (hey, I parented one, guilty) there is a feeling of ownership about the content that was never there before. "I invested my time in this series and it should have gone the way I wanted." I don't know how else to explain this (rabid condemnation of D&D and the subsequent petition for a do-over). But as someone who has long been an avid fan of various television series, I always understood that, unless I was the creator or writer of a project, it was not mine to control. It was purely entertainment for me to either enjoy or not.

I later took that control of my own ideas and became a writer of various media, but I never felt a sense of ownership of how another writer interpreted and presented a project or series. Sure, we can become critical of it, or wonder how we might have done it, but there has to be some respect for those who professionally earned the right to present their vision.

I have no doubt D&D followed the outline Martin gave them for how the main characters and narratives would unfold. The difference, and anger seems to be mostly directed at the speed at which that happened. Just as the journeys from Winterfell to Kings Landing seemed to take on a teleportation of expediency, so too the development or arc of some of the characters accelerated. Perhaps there should have been more episodes in between, but unless you've ever tackled an adaptation of this scope and complexity, it's easy to sit back, judge, and second guess.

It is what it is. I enjoyed the series immensely, and for immersing me in this other world and with these characters, and I have some understanding of the process and ultimate no win situation of the writers ending it to please everyone, especially in such an entitled and vocal online environment, so I applaud them for the effort and for sticking with it for all these years and, imho, for sticking the landing.

My college grad son is already reading an alternate 800-page online book for how the story proceeds from the last season written by a fan (and with a lot more probable strategy for attacking Kings Landing). That's very cool. Look what this series inspired someone to do - create their own alternate content and own it. He'll never be able to publish it or profit from it based on the copyrights involved, but perhaps it will inspire him to go on and create his own other world and characters.

So if that's what the 'resistance' movement against this season has begot - another generation of writers stepping up to create and actually own their own content, so be it. I'll be happy to look forward to what they offer.

Johnny Angell and benbess like this.
  18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    On the other hand, maybe it pushes Martin in a different direction in the books as he sees the reaction to this version of the story's ending.

benbess likes this.
  19. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I agree with most of this, although imho the argument is taken a little too far….

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

"....Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

This is an important shift to dissect because whether we tell our stories primarily from a sociological or psychological point of view has great consequences for how we deal with our world and the problems we encounter.

I encounter this shortcoming a lot in my own area of writing—technology and society. Our inability to understand and tell sociological stories is one of the key reasons we’re struggling with how to respond to the historic technological transition we’re currently experiencing with digital technology and machine intelligence—but more on all that later. Let’s first go over what happened to Game of Thrones...."

Much more at the link.

20. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I think most of the criticism of the ending, and of the entire season, for that matter, has been less about what's happened and more about the way it's all played out. My gripe with it isn't that it didn't end the way I expected - well, aside from the Bran thing - but that I don't think the writing this season was very good.

Sam Favate likes this.