1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

But they didn't cast aside their goals to set themselves as a goddess to be worshipped in a temple for 3 seasons. Even when the freed slaves elevated Danys above them and worshipped her you could see by the grin on her face that something was not right with her.
    They also didn't go around westeros demanding that everyone bend the knee to them.

The show obviously failed to convey to a lot of viewers that Danys was going mad from the beginning and that her only intentions ever were to be worshipped if she is a good ruler or not is irrelevant to her. Once she realized that only the unsullied and dothraki were the only ones that were going to worship her then her final descent into madness was obvious. The books so far make all of this very clear. She was wasting time by not focusing on her goal by playing slave queen for 4 seasons. If she only wanted to free slaves then there was no reason to stay after she freed them at the end of season 3. She stayed to be worshipped. The situation with the white walkers wouldn't have been as bad if she arrived there two seasons earlier. Yes the slavers came back but she only destroyed one ship of them before they quickly surrendered. They will be back now that she is gone. She is a highly questionable character in the got world.

2. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I don’t think you get what I’m saying.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yes, they do. However, in all the portrayals of them that I've seen in my life, no dragon went on for this length of time spewing flame. I kept thinking, jeez Dany, give it a break.

4. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Yes, but that's a comment about the story, not dragon metabolism. You can hardly say "dragons can't do that. What would really happen is....". There is no "really" with respect to dragons.

5. RobertR

I've read the books, and it wasn't the least bit "clear" that she was descending into madness. Her motive for staying as ruler was to try to keep slavery from being revived. It wasn't just all about her being "worshipped as a goddess".

Dheiner likes this.
  6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

She did that after season 3 she could never keep it from being revived. As soon as she leaves it will be revived because all the slavers are still there. She knew that and so did her advisors that's why they urged her to move onto westeros constantly but she ignored them because she wanted to be worshipped. This was clear by the look on her face when the slaves carried her around like a goddess.
    The books made it clear that she lost focus of her goals by staying there.
    Again I think the coolness of dragons make some viewers/readers see things differently than intended.

7. Message #867 of 987 May 16, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I think there is a "really" within the world that GOT built. The GOT dragons can't make them selves invisible, for instance. In the situation being discussed I was thinking can they "really" do that? That was my reaction.

While the dragons may be mythical creatures, in GOT, they are flesh and blood and can be shot from the sky. It's not illogical to think they have other physical limitations, like what is the supply of fire making chemicals? How long can the do it before their mouth overheats, like a rifle will when shot too quickly.

benbess likes this.
  8. RobertR

That's your interpretation, not something that was made "clear" in the books. I interpret it differently.

9. RobertR

The dragons can be killed because the show says they can. They're not invisible because the show doesn't show them as such. Drogon has extended fire breath sufficient to burn a city because the show says he does. No episode of the show ever said he doesn't. You have no objective reality that gives you a basis for saying anything like "awww, he can't really do that". Yes he can, because the writers say he can. Dragons are FANTASY creatures. Fantasy means you don't need science to explain anything about why dragons can do what they do, any more than you need to explain scientifically how dead people are reanimated.

10. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Yes, everyone interprets things differently, and that’s okay.

As for how long dragons can breath fire, I think Johnny Angell was just questioning the potential (fictional) mechanics behind the dragon spewing fire. It makes me think about how much nuance George Lucas had put down on paper about his Star Wars universe that didn’t even get explicit explanations on screen, and I think the question of what the dragons capabilities are in this regard are completely fair and would be fun to explore.

11. RobertR

You CAN'T explain the mechanics, any more than you can explain why Peter Pan can fly. We're supposed to chemically analyze fairy dust? It's scientifically impossible for dragons to fly. Using any kind of science to explain the happenings in a fantasy story is meaningless.

12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    All of these petitions are moronic, and I'm willing to bet 50% or more of the signatures are ironic. I've been as critical as anybody since S6, but I want the creators to finish their show. The sense of entitlement and lack of perspective that comes with a nerd pop-culture petition is, frankly, deeply pathetic.

Can you imagine what a clusterfuck we'd get if all of the fans tried to rewrite this season by committee? It'd be nothing but incoherent fanwank.

I mean, I do find it funny that people think modern TV shows never have car-crash endings. Going back even further, I think the last two episodes of The Prisoner are some of the greatest things ever committed to celluloid, but you would be hard pressed to find any foreshadowing of that in the previous episodes whatsoever.

TravisR likes this.
  13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Well, that’s your interpretation. It has meaning to me because the dragons in GOT have physical limitations. I am not questioning the abilities given to the dragons by GOT, but I think it’s fair to say even fictional dragons have some boundaries beyond what suspension of belief will take me.

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'd love to see an analysis of how many of those petition signers actually pay for HBO/Go/Now vs. who is using a friend/relative's account. :rolling-smiley:

15. RobertR

Sure they do, but the show has never said what the limitations are of their fire breath. There simply is no basis for saying Drogon couldn't do what he did. BTW, I'd say reanimating dead people requires FAR more of a suspension of disbelief than fire breath.

16. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    I'm not really an expert on how much fire a fictional dragon can breathe in a fictional world, and don't really know any such experts.

17. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    I think we know exactly what a dragon is capable of when it comes to breathing fire, because we saw it last Sunday night. Since nothing within the show was ever established that they cannot do that, I think it's pretty clear that they can.

RobertR likes this.
  18. RobertR

Yeah, where's the "dragon reference manual" that describes what dragons are "really" capable of?

19. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I don’t see anyone saying that he couldn’t. Why do you have such a hostile attitude towards people having fun discussing a fictional dragon?

20. RobertR

You yourself said this:

"I think Johnny Angell was just questioning the potential (fictional) mechanics behind the dragon spewing fire"

Which sounds quite a lot like saying he doubted he could. My response was you can't do that in a fantasy context. Labeling me as "hostile" does nothing to counter what I said.